Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Steering misalignment (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/steering-misalignment-61083.html)

Lepactedesloups 06-06-2013 07:34 PM

Steering misalignment
 
Picked up my 2014 WK2 Limited, and I love every bit of it except one tiny detail that's driving me a bit nuts. The steering wheel appears to be ever-so-slightly misaligned with the vehicle... like maybe a few degrees to the right. When I'm driving, if I straighten out the wheel (using the Jeep logo and the "Since 1941" sign for reference), it pulls slightly left. Sooooo annoying. When I first got it, I took it in and told them "the Jeep is out of alignment" (I wasn't aware that it's the steering wheel), but they gave it back to me claiming the alignment was good.... which it is as far as the wheels are concerned. I have an appointment to take it back in tomorrow, but I am already dreading the visit, fearing they will still try and tell me it's fine. My wife notices it, and I had a friend who owns a 2012 JGC check it out (drive my Jeep)... they all agree it's ever-so-slightly off.

I know this all sounds stupid... it's very slight, but when I'm driving, it's annoying to have to constantly correct for this. I've read aligning the steering is an easy fix (I wish I was handy, I'd do it myself), so I hope the dealership will make the repair and not waste another day telling me it's "fine." Don't know if I'm posting this just to sound off or looking for advice/reassurance... just want to get everything perfect so I can enjoy the vehicle.

Willx 06-06-2013 07:52 PM

IMHO.... keep driving it for a while. There is another thread here we talked about "first oil change". Give the factory alignment a little time to set in but yes this can easily be corrected.

You may wish to report this to your dealer for the record.

Lepactedesloups 06-06-2013 07:55 PM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
Is this something that can correct itself if I wait?

Willx 06-06-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepactedesloups (Post 836699)
Is this something that can correct itself if I wait?

Not likely but possible. Once some miles are on there the suspension will sit slightly differently and that may make it better or worse. But fixing the alignment now doesn't make sense without having at least 500 miles or it will change ever so slightly again.... get my drift.

BobsWK2 06-06-2013 08:20 PM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
My 2014 Summit had the same problem. My dealer tried to center the steering wheel but it took him 2 tries to get it close. All that was off was the toe adjustment. I finally had to go to a professional shop to get it done correctly.

Lepactedesloups 06-07-2013 12:41 PM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
Brought it in and did a ride along with the service manager of the dealership. Got him to acknowledge that the wheel was off center, but he tried to give me the "well, it's like 1 degree off out of 360" guilt trip (in my opinion... and if we're splitting hairs, it's more than 1 degree)... not that he refused to fix it... he said he'd make it right, but it might take "a few tries" whatever that means. Fingers crossed for this afternoon but I have a feeling this is going to take a while (like BobsWK2 said above). Love to be wrong tho.

BobsWK2 06-07-2013 07:35 PM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepactedesloups (Post 837214)
Brought it in and did a ride along with the service manager of the dealership. Got him to acknowledge that the wheel was off center, but he tried to give me the "well, it's like 1 degree off out of 360" guilt trip (in my opinion... and if we're splitting hairs, it's more than 1 degree)... not that he refused to fix it... he said he'd make it right, but it might take "a few tries" whatever that means. Fingers crossed for this afternoon but I have a feeling this is going to take a while (like BobsWK2 said above). Love to be wrong tho.

Hopefully you'll be lucky and it gets corrected on the 1st attempt. I mean how hard can it be to do an alignment? My dealer even has one of the latest Hunter Alignment racks and after 2 tries, they still couldn't get it right. I just think its poor tech training. Also try and get them to recalibrate the steering wheel angle sensor which is supposed to be redone after any wheel alignment was done and they will look at you with a blank face. Again, poor training.

lryoung 06-07-2013 07:49 PM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepactedesloups (Post 836675)
Picked up my 2014 WK2 Limited, and I love every bit of it except one tiny detail that's driving me a bit nuts. The steering wheel appears to be ever-so-slightly misaligned with the vehicle... like maybe a few degrees to the right. When I'm driving, if I straighten out the wheel (using the Jeep logo and the "Since 1941" sign for reference), it pulls slightly left. Sooooo annoying. When I first got it, I took it in and told them "the Jeep is out of alignment" (I wasn't aware that it's the steering wheel), but they gave it back to me claiming the alignment was good.... which it is as far as the wheels are concerned. I have an appointment to take it back in tomorrow, but I am already dreading the visit, fearing they will still try and tell me it's fine. My wife notices it, and I had a friend who owns a 2012 JGC check it out (drive my Jeep)... they all agree it's ever-so-slightly off.

I know this all sounds stupid... it's very slight, but when I'm driving, it's annoying to have to constantly correct for this. I've read aligning the steering is an easy fix (I wish I was handy, I'd do it myself), so I hope the dealership will make the repair and not waste another day telling me it's "fine." Don't know if I'm posting this just to sound off or looking for advice/reassurance... just want to get everything perfect so I can enjoy the vehicle.

I had the same problem here in Australia oh yeh they are all like that .So i took it to a laser alignment steering place for $80 it was set up and is now perfect .

Lepactedesloups 06-07-2013 09:12 PM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
So I got back the Jeep and now the steering wheel seems misaligned ever so slightly to the left. Good lord, how hard can this be? One would think a Jeep dealer would be really good at aligning a Jeep. I'll guess I'll bring it back in after the weekend is over. Man, is this annoying. You'd think that after the alignment, they'd take it out for a test spin to see if it's fine. I mean, am I being too picky because it's a new car? Is there an acceptable tolerance for this and I'm expecting too much? I mean, it's slight... but you can tell. I just want to get the dang thing perfect :)

not_too_shabby 06-07-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepactedesloups (Post 837548)
So I got back the Jeep and now the steering wheel seems misaligned ever so slightly to the left. Good lord, how hard can this be? One would think a Jeep dealer would be really good at aligning a Jeep. I'll guess I'll bring it back in after the weekend is over. Man, is this annoying. You'd think that after the alignment, they'd take it out for a test spin to see if it's fine. I mean, am I being too picky because it's a new car? Is there an acceptable tolerance for this and I'm expecting too much? I mean, it's slight... but you can tell. I just want to get the dang thing perfect :)

I went through this with another car. It took three different alignment shops of the same chain before they got it right. Each said the other did it wrong. Good luck! Check your tire pressure. A couple psi difference from left to right can make a difference.

lryoung 06-08-2013 01:12 AM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lepactedesloups (Post 837548)
So I got back the Jeep and now the steering wheel seems misaligned ever so slightly to the left. Good lord, how hard can this be? One would think a Jeep dealer would be really good at aligning a Jeep. I'll guess I'll bring it back in after the weekend is over. Man, is this annoying. You'd think that after the alignment, they'd take it out for a test spin to see if it's fine. I mean, am I being too picky because it's a new car? Is there an acceptable tolerance for this and I'm expecting too much? I mean, it's slight... but you can tell. I just want to get the dang thing perfect :)

i demanded they being dealer Principal ,service manager ,sales manager so the 4 of us went for a drive OOOOH YEH they do tend to go to the left dont they .put it in for first 1500klm service yes we adjusted it AND wait for it rotated the tyres as per service schedule.I checked the tyre readings before the service.Left hand front was 2kpa less than the other 3 which all read the same after service guess what same readings by the EVIC so they are FULL of Bullshit .So the car was just the same took it to a laser aligner it was way way way out .

Lepactedesloups 06-08-2013 08:40 AM

Re: Steering misalignment
 
They should "laser align" these vehicles at the factory, so we don't have to go through this nonsense on a brand new car imho.

Again, I hope I am not being too picky. I assume you should be able to get this dead on center all of the time if you know what you're doing.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community