Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Dynamat to stiffen stock sub enclosure (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/dynamat-to-stiffen-stock-sub-enclosure-61125.html)

amrunner4 06-07-2013 02:10 PM

Dynamat to stiffen stock sub enclosure

I know I ran across a past thread on this somewhere but can't find it now.

Granted it isn't a step up to a Stealthbox, but has anyone just tried to take the stock sub enclosure in the 9 speaker Alpine system and make it more rigid with dynamat or similar? If so, any reasonable improvement for the time and money inolved?

Thanks

sswails 06-08-2013 09:22 AM

Re: Dynamat to stiffen stock sub enclosure

Use a bedliner spray...or fiberglass resin.

joyfil2001 06-08-2013 10:07 AM

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/mopar...fer-58908.html

Just get some bed liner or truck bed coating and spray the box in and out.

Amazon.com: Dupli-Color TR250 Truck Bed Coating Aerosol - 16.5 oz.: Automotive

amrunner4 06-08-2013 11:52 AM

Sorry for my ignorance about this, but I assume the bedliner spray dries hard to make the chamber more solid? What is a reasonable amount of coats if I want to try this?

Thanks for the info

FAUEE 06-08-2013 11:53 AM

I've had good luck in the past putting poly-fill inside OEM sub boxes. Helps the sound out some.

joyfil2001 06-08-2013 11:55 AM

No worries. Yes it dries hard. The subwoofer needs a solid structure so it can hit properly. The cheap plastic OEM housing vibrates and flexes. This is said to help significantly. I'm not sure how many coats, but I would think 4 to 5 should do it.

sswails 06-08-2013 11:56 AM

More the better. Use fiberglass resin in/out. Then use the spray and yes it dries real hard.

Ram4whldr 06-09-2013 09:49 AM

Does this help the sound? Has anyone actually done it on a wk2?

brandont 06-13-2013 07:24 AM

I think it might be my thread you were reading. I pulled the stock sub and covered it in Dynamat, then also inserted some dowel rods inside the box and screwed them from the outside. The result was less sloppy bass. Both my wife and I noticed the stock system just had a lot of unclean, distorted, almost rattly bass. This mod basically got rid of that completely. Note that I'm not a bass head and although I like my music I'm not really picky on my gear either. If you are looking for louder or you are upgrading your other speakers, this isn't worth it. If you just want cleaner bass then do it.

sswails 06-13-2013 07:49 AM

Remember. .. you must pick the right sub for this enclosure if you plan to keep it. Don't just buy and 8". Use acoustic fill as well.

joyfil2001 06-16-2013 04:54 PM

So on a whim my buddy and I decided to remove his factory sub and inspect it, since his 2013 had practically no bass at all and my 2012 did. After pulling it apart everything looked fine. All connections were solid and speaker was tight to the plastic box. So we decided to fill the box with a can of GREAT STUFF foam filler for gaps and cracks. We used the whole can, which didn't really fill the box at all, and we sealed the rear screw hole with silicon. It sounds great now! Hits much harder than my sub does.

amrunner4 06-17-2013 02:07 PM

Does filling the box (or at least part of it) with Great Stuff really work? I understand stiffening the box for better resonance, but decreasing the effective volume of the box with a relatively firm substance like hardening foam (as opposed to a soft substance like polyfill) doesn't seem to make sense.

BTW, how involved was it to get down to the sub enclosure to open it up, and then to seal it and put it all back together again?