Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   WK2 Jeeps could be next ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wk2-jeeps-could-be-next-61154.html)

f1anatic 06-08-2013 08:03 AM

WK2 Jeeps could be next ?

Quote:

There's a new wave of auto thefts that police can't figure out. So could you be at risk? TODAY National Investigative Correspondent Jeff Rossen looked into it.
This is a real mystery. You think when you lock your car and set the alarm, your car is pretty safe. But criminals have designed a new high-tech gadget giving them full access to your car. It's so easy, it's like the criminals have your actual door remote. Police are so baffled they want to see if you can help crack the case.
Police admit they're 'stumped' by mystery car thefts* - TODAY.com

Then there's this

Quote:

The technique appears to apply to cars using a cell-based system for unlocking and remote start (like GM and Mercedes also use). The hackers established their own local GSM network and intercepted signals sent between the server/car to sniff out the passwords.
Hackers remotely start Subarus via texting

And here's some background information on how car cryptography works:
A Few Thoughts on Cryptographic Engineering: Where Things Fall Apart: Protocols (Part 2 of 2)

---------

Since my 2014 can already be driven around the block without the keys in, I don't see UCONNECT an insurmountable challenge for the dedicated hackers among us.

Romeo_Kilo 06-08-2013 08:17 AM

I blame 3D printers :slapfight:

jacko15 06-08-2013 09:26 AM

Re: WK2 Jeeps could be next ?

Nothing has ever been safe. If someone is motivated enough, and you have something they want, it's theirs. No security system is foolproof. Thieves are incredibly brazen. At our local mall a few years ago they were just yanking cars onto a flatbed car carrier and driving away. People didn't even notice, thinking they were breakdowns being towed for service. Code stealing electronics have been around for years. That's why we have insurance. The criminal element is growing larger and more sophisticated all the time. Hell, there are nutcases out there stealing PEOPLE right off the streets! Dumbass crooks look for easy opportunities, unlocked doors, keys left in plane sight, smash and grab. Pros just take what they want.

AnotherSRT 06-08-2013 09:35 AM

its funny my mother has the 2014 Limited and park it around the corner from the building on a quiet block,so twice she came to tell me that when she opened her car all inside was ransacked ,but there were no damage of forced entry no scratches on the doors,its like someone just unlocked it....

SheltonJeep14 06-08-2013 10:29 AM

^If she is holding the handle while pushing lock button it will lock then quickly unlock as she releases her grip on the handle. I've done this before, still getting used to the key fob in the pocket thing. That could explain the non forced entry thing.

AnotherSRT 06-08-2013 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheltonJeep14 (Post 837873)
^If she is holding the handle while pushing lock button it will lock then quickly unlock as she releases her grip on the handle. I've done this before, still getting used to the key fob in the pocket thing. That could explain the non forced entry thing.

No she does not know how to use the handle so she always opens with the remote....

tipman71 06-08-2013 10:48 AM

Should we go back to the club :)

tjbuz 06-08-2013 10:55 AM

UConnect needs a seatbelt lock, or ejector seat. something to foil the bad guys. Or maybe it's time for fingerprint recognition on the steering wheel.

jacko15 06-08-2013 12:09 PM

As soon as you devise a new security system someone will find a way to defeat it. Hell, a lot of hackers hack just for the fun of it. They don't even care if they gain anything material. Hackers motivated by greed are the ones who believe that the only difference between what you have and what they have is they haven't taken it from you yet.

bill_de 06-08-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherSRT (Post 837880)
No she does not know how to use the handle so she always opens with the remote....

Same is true when locking. If you touch the handle while (or after) locking the door, the door will unlock. I used to hit the lock button on the driver's door while getting out of a car. Now, if you close the door using the handle there is a good chance you will unlock the door.

When I worked in a multi-story glass office building we would watch kids walk through the parking lot checking for open doors. They never broke into anything, but would go through cars that were open. Security usually got them. The building was one way glass, so they never knew at least 100 people were probably watching them. :lol:

jacko15 06-08-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnotherSRT (Post 837828)
its funny my mother has the 2014 Limited and park it around the corner from the building on a quiet block,so twice she came to tell me that when she opened her car all inside was ransacked ,but there were no damage of forced entry no scratches on the doors,its like someone just unlocked it....

The manual states:
"• Passive Entry may be programmed ON/OFF; refer to
“Uconnect®” in “Understanding Your Instrument
Panel” for further information."
You might want to program this to off for your mom. Especially if she doesn't use it. Could prevent her from accidentally unlocking the door when she closes it.

AAAA 06-08-2013 01:12 PM

Go ahead, steal my Jeep. What are you going to get: some loose change, 2 flashlights, first aid kit, tire gauge and a $35 pair of binoculars?