Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Brake temperature (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/brake-temperature-61159.html)

Frango100 06-08-2013 11:21 AM

Brake temperature

Just changed my rear brake pads these days and just wanted to check for eventual dragging brakes. Used an infrared temperature reader and found around 85 C for the front brake rotors and 98 C for the rear brake rotors after a 20 km round trip with a bit of downhill driving in the compound where i live, but no heavy braking. Was wondering if temperatures like this are normal, never measured it before. Will take an other reading after some highway driving within some days to see how it looks then.
Just did a reading on my other vehicle this morning (completely different car with almost half of the weight of the jeep), and it was only reading 53 C , but after 35 km highway and a few stops before parking it.

zoomzoomjeff 07-15-2013 12:15 AM

Re: Brake temperature

Hello. I'm new here, but I've also checked my brakes after just acquiring my WJ. I had to do some conversions from kilos to miles, and celsius to fahrenheit, but looks like you have 185* (fahrenheit) in front, and 210* in rear, after about a 12 mile drive. I did roughly the same distance but purely highway. When coming off a road going 60mph, slowing down and pulling into my driveway one block off the road, here's what I got:

about 115* in the front, and 150* in the rear. That's pretty mild driving, with old rotors & pads.

So to me, that sounds on the warmish side, but that's also subjective because they were totally different tests. ALSO, the increase in temps might be due to the new pads being bedded in. :huh:

Frango100 07-15-2013 04:43 PM

Thanks for the response Jeff. I still didnīt check the temperatures after highway driving. I presume the temperatures will be significantly lower, due to less braking and more cooling airflow to the discs. Will try to do this soon.
Iīm not feeling any abnormal drag, and when driving and putting the transmission in N, it doesnīt seem to be slowing down more then normal. Will keep an eye on it.

zoomzoomjeff 07-15-2013 04:57 PM

Yeah, my main concern was that they were all relatively equal. So as long as the rears were the same, and the fronts were the same, etc...

Dirish1 07-15-2013 05:21 PM

Your rears will normally be warmer than the front even though most of your breaking is from the front due to better air flow over the front rotors. Your temps don't seam bad but driving conditions and how much you use the brakes will change the temps considerably. Don't sweat it if they are not dragging, making noise, or smoking your prob OK.

Frango100 07-15-2013 05:26 PM

I just started to measure the temperatures after some funny smells came from the rear brakes (new pads).

Dirish1 07-15-2013 05:49 PM

I went down the road also after a brake change. Any fluid, oil, or grease getting on them could make em smoke or smell. I thought I was pretty careful and cleaned everything well but musta still got something on my rotors cause I noticed them smoking a little after the 1st drive. Cleared up after a few trips. As an added note on break temp my roadster normal driving will get over 200F on a normal drive around town. Off the track after a 1/4 mile they can get over 700F lol. goes to show you how you drive them will make it change a lot.

The typical normal driving temperature range for vehicle brakes is 100(F) to 200(F) degrees.

brake odor from the resin in "TYPICAL PADS" is produced at about 550 degrees and visible smoke is produced at 850 degrees.

Hope that helps you.

Frango100 07-15-2013 09:52 PM

Ok, thanks. I will check after some highway driving how they are.

p3vinny 07-21-2013 04:40 PM

Frank,
I wouldn't be too worried - your temps are symmetrical, right? The increased cooling airflow over the fronts and also the solid discs in the rear may account for the higher temps.
FWIW, I had a caliper lock up on my 2000 and it was noticeable. Didn't notice too much drag or any appreciable pulling, but the smell of brake pads burning and noticeable heat from the locked wheel was obvious.
Phil

Frango100 07-21-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p3vinny (Post 862259)
Frank,
I wouldn't be too worried - your temps are symmetrical, right? The increased cooling airflow over the fronts and also the solid discs in the rear may account for the higher temps.
FWIW, I had a caliper lock up on my 2000 and it was noticeable. Didn't notice too much drag or any appreciable pulling, but the smell of brake pads burning and noticeable heat from the locked wheel was obvious.
Phil

Thanks Phil. Not too worried about it, but there is some strange smell coming from the rear brakes and the rims feel warmer then i remember to be normal. Had no change to check the temps during highway trip, way from home for some days with my other vehicle.