Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   180 degree thermostat (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/180-degree-thermostat-6122.html)

adesisto 02-01-2010 02:58 PM

180 degree thermostat

Hi all,

I have 2003 Grand Cherokee with the inline six and I'm getting ready to change the thermostat for the fist time. I read that the stock thermostat opens at 195 degrees, but I purchased a 180 degree thermostat. Can I still use it or will it case problems?

Chaoul1 02-01-2010 03:25 PM

Re: 180 degree thermostat

Yes you can still use it. It won't affect anything.

fixer5000 02-01-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 142828)
Yes you can still use it. It won't affect anything.

and you base this assumption on what? thats bad advice...it will kill fuel mileage for one, increase engine wear due to richer mixtures too...get a 195 factory stat. this engine is designed to run at that temp for fuel efficiency, optimum emmisions and longer life

Chaoul1 02-01-2010 04:13 PM

First of all how would you know? He asked a simple question. I didn't go far in detail. You know how many people have ran a 180 Temp in a 4.0?

fixer5000 02-01-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 142858)
First of all how would you know? He asked a simple question. I didn't go far in detail. You know how many people have ran a 180 Temp in a 4.0?

how would i know? ive been working on cars, trucks and motorcycles for 35 years whats your knowledge in this area? the people who design these vehicles dont guess at whats temps to run them at they test for optimum performance. are you claiming to know more than they do?? lets hear it

Chaoul1 02-01-2010 04:47 PM

Sorry about that. Many people have ran a 180 Temp Stat in the engines and so far no problems. They have ran it in HEMI's and 4.7L's too. I'm not trying to argue. I just said it would be fine.

fixer5000 02-01-2010 05:53 PM

i didnt say you cant run one for the record. its not a good idea. i dont mean to jump on you i just want the facts here to be right. if the factory calls for 195 thats what should be used. this site needs more tech... not assumptions on what can be run...im done dont take it personally. it wasnt meant that way

mountian goat 02-08-2010 06:06 PM

ok so everyone has a right to their own oppinion, but i know from having a 180 thermostat, that my gas milage didn,t go down and did not effect the life span of the moter since ive had one in my jeep now for 80 miles, and i probably run my jeep harder than most and she is still running strong...so if you want to run one go for it...

SPECIALED 02-08-2010 07:36 PM

Recently put a 180 stat in my '05 grand cherokee and it's been running great. Gas mileage has not gone down and there is a noticeable decrease in temperature. No complaints here.

jhawk 02-09-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixer5000 (Post 142932)
i didnt say you cant run one for the record. its not a good idea. i dont mean to jump on you i just want the facts here to be right. if the factory calls for 195 thats what should be used. this site needs more tech... not assumptions on what can be run...im done dont take it personally. it wasnt meant that way

The OEM's also say to use oem parts for everything and have a ridiculous maintainence schedule that is a waste of money. If this site needs more tech, hopefully it won't come from you. There is a lot of great people here. Let's keep it that way. Your opinion is appreciated. But, you aren't the only one on this planet who is a gear head. I am sure a lot of people with far more expertise would disagree with your statement.

Oh, and welcome to the "Garage".:thumbsup:

BenReardon 02-09-2010 11:46 AM

:slapfight:

mountian goat 02-09-2010 11:46 AM

OEM is a suggestion, and if we weren't suppost to use after marker parts, it would void the warrenty, well according to you it would void the warrenty....you need to practice what you preech, cause you not the only gear head on hear either, and your so sure other people would take your side, well wear are they at. i dont see anyone backing you up, thank god,becuase if some listened to your tech advise everything would be half ass back ward, oh but wait your the exspert here, and no one else's oppion maters, tell you what why do you find down state on the blog and ask him if i know what im talking about, he will set you strait. i guess no one besides you is right..so if you gone keep yapping about the same subject like you are the shit bring it.:D