Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Will i have issues? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/will-i-have-issues-61228.html)

tfranzone 06-09-2013 05:50 PM

Will i have issues?

Okay. I have a 2" daystar lift.. Spidertrax spacers and 265s on my 08 4.7 I have almost 60K. When should I replace my stock struts and shocks? And also.. When I have to replace them, I'm thinking of going full OME. Not sure if ill modify the daystar spacer or not for the rear BUT.. If I don't.. Will I need new parts for just having an OME lift?! I already get clunks and stuff probably from a worn sway bar bushing but am I going to absolutely need new parts with it like uca's and trac bars and extended links?! I'm not made of money. So I'll need to spend like 1,000 on OME and install. Another 250 on a superchips tuner... AND my 60K service. So that's already a lot. Can I go with OME and no extras?! Or will my WK break?

BoraBora 07-26-2013 12:43 PM

Re: Will i have issues?

No you will not. The trac bar is mostly if the off center of the rear axle bothers you. The sway links if you wheel hard and desire more flex. The UCA's are also mostly if you flex your suspension a lot and need more articulation. The ball joints on the stock UCA's are replaceable, as we recently found out on jeep forum. So if you don't wheel the piss out of your WK and flex it often, you're fine with just putting the OME. When your UCA ball joints wear out, replace them.

I'm installing my OME with just the adjustable track bar and new sway bar bushings and links, while the rest of my money goes into 285's and wheel spacers.

Anon155 07-26-2013 01:30 PM

You may be able to save yourself some cash also by just buying the OME HD springs and use an alternative shock/strut combo. Don't get me wrong, the OME shocks and struts are GREAT. But there are other options if you plan to stack the rear that would give you better down travel. You will need 2" extended sway bar links if you stack the rear. They aren't much from Rusty's. Give them a call and they should be able to hook you up. After months with the OME, it has moved my rear end to the left a bit. The adjustable track bar is a good option if you can afford it, but not necessary. But be prepared that it will be noticeable. Do it right the first time and throw a 1/4" strut spacer up front as well. The lift does tend to settle down about 1/2". The spacer will help with that over time as long as you aren't over 23" up front. But you shouldn't be with the 4.7L. Like Bora Bora said, don't worry about your upper control arms until they really need to be replaced. Throw some new bushings in the sway bars. The clunks you hear are probably from it being flexed a lot. The stock bushings go out rather quickly in my experience.

I completely understand the money situation. I've had to do my complete build on a college budget. Had to take a few extra shifts to make up for this little habit lol. But you will want to do it right the first time, so you don't spend that extra cash later on. I had to do mine in steps. Which made it more costly and time consuming overall. Save up the cash and get everything at once. It'll be worth it in the end!

BoraBora 07-26-2013 01:33 PM

^ X2! I went with Bilstein 5100 struts and shocks instead of the OME ones. It saved me quite a bit of cash, which on a high school budget, makes a huge difference.

Anon155 I'm assuming I don't need to extend my front links with the .25 inch strut spacer?

Anon155 07-26-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoraBora (Post 865116)
Anon155 I'm assuming I don't need to extend my front links with the .25 inch strut spacer?

Yeah no need to extend the front links. Only the rear if you're stacked. If I remember right, some had tried putting longer links in front, and it caused issues. I think they ended up having to go back to stock length. I wouldn't worry about upgrading them either. Unless you are out wheeling every weekend, it doesn't take much to pop one on/off and have full flex. I'm thinking about putting some jks quick disconnects in the rear though. It would be easier to deal with on the trail than the extended links I have now.

tfranzone 07-30-2013 07:33 PM

From what I've read you actually want 2" extended in the rear and then .5" extended in the front. Anyway I guess when the time is right I will go with the OME, front strut spacer, 1" poly in the rear stacked and jks discos

Sound like a good plan??

tfranzone 08-26-2013 09:09 AM

Thinking of leaving my entire 2" rear poly daystar spacer in. It's probably settled some and I know others have done this. Complete setup looking like:
OME HD springs
Bilstein 5100 struts and shocks
My 2" daystar poly spacer stacked in rear
A rustys .25" strut spacer up front
And I guess some 2" extended links for the rear from rustys.

Hoping I can get this all purchased and installed for $1,000 or under. Man, seeing "$1,000" typed out makes me just think of spending like $1,500 on a superlift lol