Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   TPMS Issue (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/tpms-issue-61271.html)

Jeff Boca 06-10-2013 12:00 PM

TPMS Issue

First time reaching out on Jeep Garage so go easy. I have a left front tire not sending or receiving the pressure in the tire. I have a warning light that says service the TPMS but would like to avoid the dealer costs if possible. I understand this is a two part system - a sending unit in the value stem and a receiving unit (sensor) in the wheel well? All 3 other tires are registering fine with correct pressure readings. I work on my Jeep and change my own oil/plugs/general service items but never had to deal with this TPMS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.:)

kennzz05 06-10-2013 02:59 PM

Re: TPMS Issue

they can be purchased online but most reputable tire shops should be able to help you

CNY_WK2 06-10-2013 03:17 PM

Not sure what year you have but they fall under your warranty

Jeff Boca 06-28-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennzz05 (Post 839106)
they can be purchased online but most reputable tire shops should be able to help you

Thank you

Jeff Boca 06-28-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CNY_WK2 (Post 839115)
Not sure what year you have but they fall under your warranty

I have a 2006 GCL Overland. 115K miles so they won't cover anything at this point. I have heard that some of the aftermarket value sensors may not work with the system, any truth to that?

AZhiCntry 06-28-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Boca (Post 849652)

I have a 2006 GCL Overland. 115K miles so they won't cover anything at this point. I have heard that some of the aftermarket value sensors may not work with the system, any truth to that?

If you switch the tire that's not reading to the other side of the veh does the replacement tire read and the new location of the non-reading tire still not reading. Then you can be pretty certain that it's tire sensor that's bad and not the receiver for the location. They're only good for about 5 yrs.

www.tiresensorwarehouse.com or check amazon and ebay.

josebroo 07-10-2013 10:39 AM

I agree with AZ, my TPMS lasted about 5 years on my 2004. One sensor went bad. Discount Tire replaced each (or maybe used a re-build kit, cant recall). Im in the north and they stated it was because the inside can develop rust/corrosion. I think they were around $30 each. They have worked fine ever since they were replaced/rebuilt. I was planning on new tires anyway but in the meantime I re-trained my front right TPMS to my spare. I don't recommend this practice long term. Although TPMS can be a pain the ass when not working, it certainly a great tool to have.

AZhiCntry 07-10-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josebroo (Post 855845)
I agree with AZ, my TPMS lasted about 5 years on my 2004.

Now they are saying the newer sensors can last up to 10 yrs. But they don't know for sure. It's just an estimate. Best to replace sensors if they are 5yrs or older. They are not that expensive if bought from direct suppliers on line.