Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Pentastar V6 from Mercedes? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/pentastar-v6-from-mercedes-61272.html)

KILOFINAL 06-10-2013 12:03 PM

Pentastar V6 from Mercedes?

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Did the Pentastar V6 come from Mercedes or co-developed with Mercedes? I know the chassis for the GC is shared with the ML.

I was at a dealership yesterday and the salesman was giving me the speech on the GC and actually stated that the V6 came from Mercedes as well?

Specx 06-10-2013 01:15 PM

Re: Pentastar V6 from Mercedes?

From what I understood, it was co-developed while Chrysler was still a part of Mercedes with Chrysler being the lead designer for it.

Jeep_addicted 06-10-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL (Post 838999)
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Did the Pentastar V6 come from Mercedes or co-developed with Mercedes? I know the chassis for the GC is shared with the ML.

I was at a dealership yesterday and the salesman was giving me the speech on the GC and actually stated that the V6 came from Mercedes as well?

When mercedes owned chrysler.... AKA Daimler Chrysler:

Mercedes did help chrysler with some product development.

Funny how the R Class was so much more popular than the Pacifica but they came about fromt the same idea.

The best way to describe it is to say that some of the newer chyrslers products were very loosely based on past Diamler Benz products.

A good example of how the trickle down engineering worked is the Hemi.

back in the late 90's Mercedes offered a V8 and V6 with the Dual spark and three valves per cylinder.

So pretty much Daimler Benz let Diamler Chrysler use the heads on their own block.

So whereas the Diamler benz products had engine bores lined with a silicone anti wear lining the Diamler Chrysler products didn't get that step.

Another thing you may have noticed is that the engine displacements are usually close the are usually off by 1.

Like the biggest engine in the V8 AMG cars are all AMG 63 but even that is deceptive as sometime they are as large as 6.5

and the SRT V8 are now 6.4 up from 6.1.

Have you ever noticed how much an AMG BENZ sounds like an SRT Mopar?

Wrap your head around this one... some of the late 90's V8 powered 4.3 E class sedans also suffer from "Hemi tick." just like their MOPAR cousins

The Grand cherokee was codeveloped with the current ML class but again it is loosely based.

It would appear they share the same rear lower control arm too. I don't think there is anything else on the ML that can be directly transferred to the grand cherokee.

The single arm control stalk on the steering column is a carry over from mercedes of the past. Look at and older C class or E Class sedan and you will notice how they even look like the plastic is the same.

Lets just say Diamler benz let Diamler Chrysler use alot of left over parts bin items.

So your saleman is not completely wrong nor is he feeding you BS.

KILOFINAL 06-10-2013 02:51 PM

Thanks guys, makes sense.

Marlon_JB2 06-10-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILOFINAL (Post 838999)
Hi Guys,

Neither is true.

Let's start with the 3.6L Pentastar. About the only thing it shares with the Mercedes M276 is a 60 configuration. Doesn't share a block. Doesn't share a head. Doesn't share a piston. Assembly line. Cooling passage, nothing.

The "chassis" of the GC isn't shared with the ML either. The two vehicles, GC and ML were co-developed... for a while. Eventually the two companies went their separate ways even BEFORE the company (thankfully, and FINALLY) split. Some parts and other things will look similar between the two vehicles, but they are nowhere near the same.

tomk 06-10-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted (Post 839055)
W
back in the late 90's Mercedes offered a V8 and V6 with the Dual spark and three valves per cylinder.

So pretty much Daimler Benz let Diamler Chrysler use the heads on their own block.

Hm. Three valves per cylinder you say? On a hemi?

You are either grasping at straws or trolling. IMHO of course.

And thankfully Chrysler has ditched that 'awesome' FOBIK system that Daimler foisted on them.