Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Parking Lot "Mishap" .. Retro fit 14 Rear Cross Path Detection?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/parking-lot-mishap-retro-fit-14-rear-cross-path-detection-61326.html)

ColoradoJeep 06-11-2013 05:04 PM

Parking Lot "Mishap" .. Retro fit 14 Rear Cross Path Detection??

I had a little parking lot fender bender, with a BMW 228x1. I checked the camera, looked around, and backed up. But the Beemer came scooting in at right angles behind me and the camera/alarm was not quick enough. My 2012 GC LTD had a minor scrape on the back paint panel and a extremely small scrape on the black rubberish panel. ($780 buck as wit the tiny, tiny scape on the black panel they still said they had to replace it for insurance reason.) The Beemer took a full broadside hit in the left rear quarter panel. probably $2500.

MY question is do you think I cam 'retrofit" the 2014 Rear Cross Path Detection system?

bill_de 06-11-2013 05:18 PM

Re: Parking Lot "Mishap" .. Retro fit 14 Rear Cross Path Detection??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeep (Post 839813)
I had a little parking lot fender bender, with a BMW 228x1. I checked the camera, looked around, and backed up. But the Beemer came scooting in at right angles behind me and the camera/alarm was not quick enough. My 2012 GC LTD had a minor scrape on the back paint panel and a extremely small scrape on the black rubberish panel. ($780 buck as wit the tiny, tiny scape on the black panel they still said they had to replace it for insurance reason.) The Beemer took a full broadside hit in the left rear quarter panel. probably $2500.

MY question is do you think I cam 'retrofit" the 2014 Rear Cross Path Detection system?

Don't you mean you weren't quick enough? ;)

If the rear cross path detection connects to the uConnect system, then probably not.

gc4x4 06-11-2013 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 839827)
Don't you mean you weren't quick enough? ;)

If the rear cross path detection connects to the uConnect system, then probably not.

Reminds me of that commercial with the fisherman with the dollar on the hook teasing the woman,, " Ahh, you almost had it, you gotta be quicker than that" lol:lol:

wsoldier 06-11-2013 09:59 PM

@ColoradoJeep: Are you saying you have the rear cross path detection on your 2012 but it just wasn't responsive enough? What makes you think the '14 is any better?

jacko15 06-11-2013 10:33 PM

This is why I prefer the MK1 Eyeball object detection system.

Tony407 06-12-2013 04:28 AM

The cross path detection in my '14 is extremely sensitive, almost too much. It also beeps at me for a little too long, just to get the point across.

What I've also noticed is the rear park sense has an extremely long delay (not sure how long) before activating after I'm in reverse and backing up. Another car and I decided to back out of our spots at the same time the other day and we both saw each other in time and came within a foot or so of rear-ending each other. The rear parking sensor didn't make a peep.

Tony

padgett 06-12-2013 08:24 AM

When backing the rear vision is so bad that you really need a flagman to help. What I have never understood is why so much glass on the outside is covered by plastic on the inside.

It is styling that makes the rear vision so bad, not any need. I never needed a camera with station wagons or Minivans. On the heep I had to add a camera just to see anything under four feet tall.
http://padgett.performanceresearch.u...rearvision.jpg

BobsWK2 06-12-2013 07:40 PM

Thats the reason Jeep will give for the redesigned rear liftgate window on the 2014. For a better view out the back. Who are they kidding. I still say they did it to save money by deleting the flipper glass.

ChrisOC 06-14-2013 10:12 PM

Not to be rude, but while reversing from a parking space, you should always be looking over your shoulder. Your peripheral vision should catch that car from a father distance than the jeep will. Either way, sorry to hear about the fender bender.