Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Cd player option (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/cd-player-option-61332.html)

mensaf 06-11-2013 05:53 PM

Cd player option

Im looking for a new overland and want the CD player as a just in case I want to use it, I don't understand why they took it off and placed it in the center console, taking up so much space.

I'm thinking about waiting to see what the 2015 has to offer when it comes to a CD player. To those who have the CD player, how do you feel about it, is it much of a nuisance when it comes to storage?

padgett 06-11-2013 07:29 PM

Re: Cd player option

Suspect it is why they gave you an SD card slot. I have over 100 albums on one now and can select by album, artist, or song. Of course I can take the whole tablet or just the SD card with me in other cars. (Actually got started with the unit my RV several years ago but that was not removable).

When you look at the depth required by the player compared to a modern tablet it becomes obvious that there is a lot of mechanical wastage.

Of course the way CJF did it was kinda dumb. I have a little USB CD/DVD that was under $30 and sits on the bottom of the cubby under the 12v outlet with the door closed. Of course my Tablet knows how to talk to it.

Still think the NG audio will just be an amp, speakers, and antenna. And choice of locking docks.

jacko15 06-11-2013 10:20 PM

CD players will soon go the way of the 8-track deck.

mensaf 06-11-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 840016)

I know and I barely the one I have now, but was it that hard to add a CD player, like the 300 has one set up

jacko15 06-11-2013 10:37 PM

I don't think it's the degree of difficulty, as much as the demand that is causing the CD players demise.

2mad2bad 06-12-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 840016)

Cd ain't going nowhere for now, so until then we still need it.. You can still buy CDs/DVD in stores too. I think the Jeep should have a system like the 300c with DVD player an HDD too:(

bertball50 06-13-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 839917)
Suspect it is why they gave you an SD card slot. I have over 100 albums on one now and can select by album, artist, or song. Of course I can take the whole tablet or just the SD card with me in other cars. (Actually got started with the unit my RV several years ago but that was not removable).

When you look at the depth required by the player compared to a modern tablet it becomes obvious that there is a lot of mechanical wastage.

Of course the way CJF did it was kinda dumb. I have a little USB CD/DVD that was under $30 and sits on the bottom of the cubby under the 12v outlet with the door closed. Of course my Tablet knows how to talk to it.

Still think the NG audio will just be an amp, speakers, and antenna. And choice of locking docks.

padgett, i like your idea, is there a usb plug in the cubby? might have to get one of those

padgett 06-13-2013 08:16 AM

No USB in cubby and unless changed, the one in the console box is not smart enough to recognise a CD. For now you need either an Android (Galaxy Tab 2.0 7) or Windoze (Acer W3) base unit.

Major issue is that mfrs. still treat the "Entertainment Center" as a proprietary profit center. In the long run open standards always beat out propretary but in the short...