Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   CRD engine oil revisited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/crd-engine-oil-revisited-61342.html)

John47 06-11-2013 10:38 PM

CRD engine oil revisited
 
Longer term members of this forum will recall some time back when the CRD was just becoming popular we had discussions in this section regarding the oil requirement for the CRD, and its availability. There's plenty of evidence around that it is of critical importance to run the right oil.
Some owners (me for one), were choosing to source oil that complied with the Chrysler spec and supplying that to their dealer for fill at service.
Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 and Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W- 30 were the major oils complying, then it became known that Shell changed their formula and the Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 no longer complied.
I've found it difficult to get hold of the Mobil 1 product locally but still want to persevere to get hold of a complying oil. Our vehicle is just coming up for 40k service and I'm again trying to source the right oil.

Are other CRD owners still purchasing their own oil? or has the dust settled a bit, and people are happy to have the dealer supplied stuff?
John

Baxter 06-11-2013 11:59 PM

Re: CRD engine oil revisited
 
I supply my own and I noticed last week that the Shell Helix Ultra Extra at Super Cheap has the Chrysler approval numbers on the containers. I checked all shelf stock and all had the correct approvals so I don't know if it is old stock or they have now added the Chrysler approval to the new stock.

allypally 06-11-2013 11:59 PM

Re: CRD engine oil revisited
 
Supplying my own Mobil1 ESP. I obtain it from Mobil Pricelist — Top Grade Oil at Lowest Price who appear to be one of the lowest priced.

Swampy 06-12-2013 12:32 AM

Yes, GL Lubricants for Mobil 1 or it can be sourced in 20 litre containers from elsewhere. Maybe Shell have the Chrysler approvals again, however there web site data sheet does not mention it. Will need to check the bottle for MS 11106. If it has it, all good.

yoda42 06-12-2013 05:29 AM

I buy my own, Mobile 1 ESP 5w30, get it from East coast lubricants (who have an outlet in Darwin as well ) 20L drum cost $221, that's just over $11 a liter, that's a bloody good price for a full synthetic (in Darwin )

John47 06-12-2013 10:18 PM

Re: CRD engine oil revisited
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baxter (Post 840045)
I supply my own and I noticed last week that the Shell Helix Ultra Extra at Super Cheap has the Chrysler approval numbers on the containers. I checked all shelf stock and all had the correct approvals so I don't know if it is old stock or they have now added the Chrysler approval to the new stock.

i made a trip to our local Supercheap today - all the stock of the Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 available there didn't have the Chrysler number........

In any event I found a supplier locally for Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 @ 20l for $243 - and I'm happy to use that from now on. And your $221 is a good price for Darwin, Yoda - not often you get a win with pricing up there!
John

yoda42 06-13-2013 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 840630)

i made a trip to our local Supercheap today - all the stock of the Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 available there didn't have the Chrysler number........

In any event I found a supplier locally for Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 @ 20l for $243 - and I'm happy to use that from now on. And your $221 is a good price for Darwin, Yoda - not often you get a win with pricing up there!
John

Tell me about it John, I almost asked "are you sure !", but managed to keep quite and just hand over the credit card ;-)

zzkazu 06-13-2013 04:30 AM

Re: CRD engine oil revisited
 
Any clues apart from ringing where to find a local supplier? Web link etc?

thanks

yoda42 06-13-2013 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zzkazu (Post 840743)
Any clues apart from ringing where to find a local supplier? Web link etc?

thanks

I just used google

BobT 06-14-2013 07:14 PM

Re: CRD engine oil revisited
 
I got my Mobil 1 from GL Lubricants of Regents Park (Sydney) http://www.gllubricants.com/index.ph...obil-Pricelist. Entry via the back door, pay the Asian lady, cash only, wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more . While there, drop in for a schooner at Dooleys Regents Park Sports Club. It's where the Sydney Jeep Club hold their meetings.

Clubby360 06-15-2013 05:23 AM

My dealer uses valvoline synpower , meets all specifications, my crd is running like a dream.

iboughtajeep 06-15-2013 08:09 AM

Re: CRD engine oil revisited
 
Still waiting for my CRD to arrive, but can I ask, whats wrong with the dealer supplying the oil?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community