Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How is your rear plate installed? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-is-your-rear-plate-installed-61371.html)

not_too_shabby 06-12-2013 04:18 PM

How is your rear plate installed?

I got my registration last night so it was time to put my plates on. I pulled off the dealer's black license plate frame. On the tail gate are 4 black rubber blocks maybe 1 cm thick that stand the plate off of the tailgate. Is that something the dealer added or do the vehicles come like this? All my other vehicles I have owned have threaded taps in the tailgate that you screw into with supplied machine screws, usually phillips head.

So Into the top two rubber blocks is where the dealer screwed flat blade galvanized sheet metal screws. My intent was just to mount the plate back on without their black frame, but I was worried the screw may go through the black rubber blocks and into the metal of the tailgate without the added thickness of the license plate frame. So I'm shopping now for a nicer license plate frame, but wondering if this is the standard way of mounting the rear plate.
Thanks!

bill_de 06-12-2013 08:19 PM

Re: How is your rear plate installed?

My dealer used the galvanized screws, with no frame. I could be wrong, but I thought the top two blocks were set in holes in the tailgate.

ChrisOC 06-12-2013 09:50 PM

Mine only had two plastic pieces, a 12. Mine had the cheesy dealer plate, so I took it off and got my college alumni plate. Thankfully, they had a nice looking won out of the few they had. I prefer plates with frames, idkw, I just do.

But back to you, if you think the screw will go through to the metal, I would definitely get a frame.

notalk 06-12-2013 10:02 PM

You can always fit washers to prevent the screw tip from hitting metal. In the past I've used two, one under and one above the plate. Can't hurt.

bigpappy33 06-12-2013 11:01 PM

My dealer gave me rubber stops that are adhesive to the liftgate and fit into the recesses under the plate. Makes it so the plate won't rub on the paint or rattle at all. The rubber looks just like the ones on the car you screw the plate into but no holes obviously.

Northland 06-13-2013 09:57 AM

Mine didn't come with extra blocks for the two bottom blanks. I got a WeatherTech ClearCover license plate frame, then attached some thick sticky foam tape to the back of the frame to prevent it from rubbing against the paint.

not_too_shabby 06-13-2013 10:15 AM

Ok, sounds like all the jeeps have at least the two top rubber blocks and some dealers gave or put on the two button ones so that the license plate won't rub. Any how, I just ordered this:

2011-2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Bright Polished License Plate Frame : Amazon.com : Automotive

That should clean things up nicely.

JoeD 06-13-2013 04:16 PM

My 2013 had the rubber blocks in a package in the glove box. It uses two screws on the top of the plate only

Raptor 06-13-2013 05:41 PM

You might want to check out this thread;

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/cant-h...huh-28551.html

All your rear plate mounting questions answered. :thumbsup:

cnynctry 06-14-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 841074)
My 2013 had the rubber blocks in a package in the glove box. It uses two screws on the top of the plate only

so did mine. I watched the salesman pull them out when he put on the temp plate and their logo frame