Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Windshield Wipers (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/windshield-wipers-61427.html)

jacko15 06-13-2013 03:25 PM

Windshield Wipers

I've had a strange experience with my wipers, and wonder if anyone else has had the same thing happen. I was driving home the other night, and it was raining pretty steady, not real hard, but steady. My windshield was looking foggy, so I turned the defroster on high. It had no effect, so I ran my finger across the inside of the windshield, and realized the fog was on the outside. Every stroke of the blade would make the haze on my windshield reappear. The glare, especially from oncoming traffic, was making it very difficult to see where I was going. Now I've only got a little over 1,000 miles on my Jeep, and several weeks ago I treated my windshield with RainX, and have used it before with no problems on all my vehicles. The next day I cleaned my windshield and blades, so I figured it was taken care of. Last night I was out in the rain again, and the haze was still there. I took the Jeep to my detailer, who I've been working with for many years, and he stripped the windshield, and cleaned the wiper blades, and every time we ran the wipers we still had the haze. Finally, I went to the auto parts store and picked up some Bosch Icon blades and put them on. Problem solved. Short story long, the factory blades were basically dissolving on my windshield with every stroke! WTF! I thought about taking the factory blades to my dealer, but since the problem is already solved, I didn't feel like bothering. Anyway, is anyone else not happy with the factory blades, or did I just get a bum pair? I know this is a long post, and I apologize, but I just have a need to know.

bill_de 06-13-2013 03:40 PM

Re: Windshield Wipers

My wipers work fine. They got a good workout Monday.

Although they said it had to do with the auto wipers, the owner's or user's manual said rainX is a no no.

I have always used it, until this Jeep.

---

jacko15 06-13-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 841046)
Although they said it had to do with the auto wipers, the owner's or user's manual said rainX is a no no.
---

I know about the auto wipers and RainX. I didn't put on the RainX until I decided I wasn't going to use the auto wiper function. Just didn't work well for me, personal preference I guess. Glad you didn't have trouble with your wipers. Must have just got a bad pair.

Jrunr 06-13-2013 04:09 PM

I dont think it is your wipers. I m having a similar issue with my windshield. It almost looks like the "fog" is inside the glass!

Tony407 06-13-2013 05:56 PM

If the fog is on the inside of your glass, it may be due to all the chemicals in a new car. As the car gets older, the fog should stop reappearing as quickly after you clean it off.

Tony

jacko15 06-13-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jrunr (Post 841069)
I dont think it is your wipers. I m having a similar issue with my windshield. It almost looks like the "fog" is inside the glass!

In my case the new blades cured the problem, but I've heard of windshields getting foggy between the laminated layers. If it's that, it should be covered under warranty. I've had wiper blades replaced under warranty, but I wanted to replace mine with Bosch Icon blades, and that's not OEM. If it is something in the windshield, I'd present it as a safety issue.

jacko15 06-13-2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 841152)
If the fog is on the inside of your glass, it may be due to all the chemicals in a new car. As the car gets older, the fog should stop reappearing as quickly after you clean it off.

Tony

It was definitely on the outside.

jgc4ever 06-13-2013 06:07 PM

I didn't give the oem wipers much of a chance. Replaced with Bosch Icons almost immediately, which I've since replaced with new Bosch Icons; maybe on my 3rd set now, can't remember.

jacko15 06-13-2013 10:25 PM

My Enclave came from the factory with Icons, you'd have thunk Jeep would have stepped up on that one.

Shannon 06-14-2013 01:33 AM

If you get the haze on the inside from the chemical released by the plastics in a new car, a rag with vinegar wipes it right off

Richx76 06-14-2013 07:00 AM

Stop using rain x. Try aquapel

jacko15 06-14-2013 09:08 AM

Thanks for all the input guys. The new Bosch Icons did the trick. I had the windshield stripped to bare glass and the RainX reapplied, went for a drive in the pouring rain last night and all is fine. No haze or glare, and the windshield is crystal clear. My problem was definitely a bad pair of blades from the factory. They were basically disintegrating right onto the windshield.