Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Diesel Powered 2012+ Export Grand Cherokee (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/)
-   -   Those waiting for diesel - what will you do? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f157/those-waiting-for-diesel-what-will-you-do-61430.html)

Husker4theSpurs 06-13-2013 04:23 PM

Those waiting for diesel - what will you do?

For those anxiously waiting for the diesel ... What will you do now that the delay continues?

1. I already gave up and bought a different car.
2. I decided to buy a gas powered Grand Cherokee.
3. I am going to continue looking around and consider alternatives (e.g. 2014 BMW X5, 2014 Acura MDX, refreshed 2014 VW Touareg, etc.).
4. I've waited this long, I will continue to wait for the EcoDiesel Grand Cherokee.

Any other options or descriptions will be appreciated as well. Hope this turns out ... Not sure how to add the poll.

Personally we are going to look around as other options come available in the fall ... I wish the diesel BMW was going to be out when the gas powered model will be (November). I'm curious to see the Acura MDX in person (27mpg highway in gas power model). We will likely wait for the EcoDiesel however.

nautiboy 06-13-2013 05:32 PM

Re: Those waiting for diesel - what will you do?

I couldn't quite choose any of the poll options because it's a mix of 2-4.

Given that the average length of time I own a car is currently sitting at 22 years, I tend to be patient with my purchases and I look for exactly what I want and what I think will satisfy me for a very long time. So even though I'm very annoyed and frustrated with the continual date changes with no solid information, I would typically tend toward option 4.

However if you've read any of my previous posts on the subject you'll know how dire my situation is with my current car (Explorer). It's really gotten to the point of being a major safety risk and driving it is more of a gamble than I'd like. So I am in desperate need of a new vehicle ASAP. The only thing really saving me right now is that my primary transportation is normally my motorcycle. So I only have to use the Explorer very infrequently.

Now based on my needs, the Jeep tends to fit the bill the best, so option 2 is something I'm still considering.

However my belief is that, of the options available to me today, diesel is what I want - from the decreased environmental impact to the improved fuel consumption and the (hopefully, though not guaranteed) cost savings while still giving me sufficient hauling capabilities and some butt-dyno-happiness. So option 3 is definitely in the mix too.

Bottom line for me is that I'm going to wait as long as I can. But if I fall through the rusted floor boards of the Explorer, or one more door rusts to the point of not being able to open any more (I can't open 2 of my doors already) ... then I'm going to have to either suck it up and go with a gasser or pony up the extra $$ for one of the alternatives.

mceb 06-13-2013 06:33 PM

I'm #2, bailed out and stuck with JGC gas engine.

1958 tractor 06-13-2013 08:42 PM

#3 for me
First vehicle that meets my needs will get my money

Clubby360 06-14-2013 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mceb (Post 841182)
I'm #2, bailed out and stuck with JGC gas engine.

Believe me, the diesel version would have been worth waiting for, enjoy the jeep, such a beautiful and satisfying car to own and drive.

4jeepdiesel 06-14-2013 09:00 AM

I was going to wait until the fall anyways so I guess I'll keep waiting...
My biggest reason for waiting other than I don't have a choice right now is I am very interested in getting a special edition (Trailhawk II) and I want to pay off my current vehicle before getting a new one. I should be able to do that next month.

I don't want to wait until the winter though b/c I would have to replace my treads. That's $$ that could be put towards the new one.

Porknbeans 06-14-2013 09:28 AM

I'm in the process of buying a gas GC. I want, want, want the diesel but I can't wait until October....or beyond.

bill_de 06-14-2013 11:51 AM

So where are all the people who are looking for the diesel? With the number and length of the threads on the subject I expected to see a lot more responses.

Maybe Jeep is finding that those who want diesel may be passionate about it, there aren't as many as they thought.

Romeo_Kilo 06-14-2013 11:54 AM

I'm waiting it out for now, don't NEED a new vehicle... Yet...

mazster43 06-14-2013 02:00 PM

I am waiting for the diesel. I went and bought a fun toy for the Summer in the mean time.

Matt'sGC 06-14-2013 03:23 PM

I am going to wait. If I am not able to get one by about the middle of November then I will have to choose an alternative. I am looking into other vehicles as a backup plan.

Temerarius 06-14-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 841650)
So where are all the people who are looking for the diesel? With the number and length of the threads on the subject I expected to see a lot more responses.

Maybe Jeep is finding that those who want diesel may be passionate about it, there aren't as many as they thought.

Probably driving a BMW, Merc, and VW diesel at this point...