Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Got demolished by a Ford Explorer Sport (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/got-demolished-by-a-ford-explorer-sport-61441.html)

11JeepLTD 06-13-2013 08:46 PM

Got demolished by a Ford Explorer Sport

On the way to dinner tonight a guy in a Ford Explorer sport was driving like an @ss and cut me off. He took off from a couple of stop lights so I figured at the first opportunity I had I would try to pull up next to him and see what the Explorer was all about. (while I was behind him I noticed that it was the ecoboost;assuming the 3.5) So I knew he would most likely hit it off the line so I was ready and actually jumped him on the green, and had him by 1/2 a length. By 25mph he was even with me and continued to pull.. I shut it down at 55mph and he had 3-4 lengths on me.. Needless to say I was very disappointed.

* I know the Jeep is an SUV, 4x4, luxury blah blah, but I figured the HEMI would have eaten him up. I guess the only replacement for displacement is a turbo:slapfight:

Robert Palmer 06-13-2013 08:47 PM

Re: Got demolished by a Ford Explorer Sport

That sucks. lol

11JeepLTD 06-13-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 841278)
That sucks. lol

Seriously! I was pretty embarrassed lol. I really need Diablo to figure out the 2011 ECM issue and hope that I can get a custom tune from Hemifever.. However I dont think the baddest tune from Sean would have helped in this case.. That thing, dipped out on me lol.

VermontJGC14 06-13-2013 09:12 PM

The Hemi seems to make it money on the higher end, try to find one of those Explorers on the highway and I bet you bury it right around 80.

padgett 06-13-2013 09:15 PM

500 lbs less weight & 365 hp @ 5500 maybe ? Jumping off the line is reasonable if he had to wait for boost.

Nvincent4708 06-13-2013 09:19 PM

Threads like these are going to make me miss my Camaro... So many memories and red light races haha.

subbie09 06-13-2013 09:28 PM

The Ecoboost motor is not a joke. A simple tune puts them into the mid 12s, whether it be the Explorer or the Taurus SHO.

http://youtu.be/MMjSPV_FOOU

11JeepLTD 06-14-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbie09 (Post 841314)
The Ecoboost motor is not a joke. A simple tune puts them into the mid 12s, whether it be the Explorer or the Taurus SHO.

Livernois Motorsports First to Tune 2013 Explorer Sport - YouTube

Yeah, your not kidding. It definitely got up and moved. I just didn't realize it ran that good. He walked right by me as if I was sitting still :mad:

nvfusa 06-14-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VermontJGC14 (Post 841302)
The Hemi seems to make it money on the higher end, try to find one of those Explorers on the highway and I bet you bury it right around 80.

How can you be so sure, and what about beyond 80 mph? The tires on the Explorer Sport have higher speed rating than our Jeeps (except SRT's), and most likely its speed governor is set to a higher speed than our HEMI's are, meaning the HEMI will cut off at 112 mph and the Explorer Sport will keep going.

The truth is our HEMI's are a joke as far acceleration from a stand still. Chrysler did a terrible job with the 5/6 speed transmission on the HEMI (can't comment on the new 8 speed), and don't tell me it's because of fuel savings because other SUV's in the same category (similar power and weight) attain better mileage and are faster.

Scottina06 06-14-2013 11:17 AM

its still an exploder......barf. I don't care how fast it is....its still a CAR...not an suv

11JeepLTD 06-14-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 841632)
its still an exploder......barf. I don't care how fast it is....its still a CAR...not an suv

My exact thoughts! Props to Ford and the ecoboost engine.

Scottina06 06-14-2013 12:20 PM

yeah....cool engine...but it has many faults. Didn't they just recall them or something? I know many of the truck guys are having problems....or that's what I hear.