Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/)
-   -   headlight and foglight upgrades? what have you done? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f89/headlight-and-foglight-upgrades-what-have-you-done-61454.html)

Scottina06 06-14-2013 09:36 AM

headlight and foglight upgrades? what have you done?

Weve got a new 13' and Im looking to upgrade the headlights and fogs. Whats everyone using? Any projector headlamps out there? HID? LED?

ccfoodog 06-14-2013 11:54 AM

I don't have a JK, but if I did, I'd look at the JW Speaker LED headlights. Note it sounds like you can install w/o modification by buying a sacrificial trim set for the JK headlights and using it as a shim.

-john

Scottina06 06-14-2013 12:06 PM

Re: headlight and foglight upgrades? what have you done?

I found a site recommended in another thread here...hidprojectors.com. They sell the lamps completely finished or kits to mod your own lamps. The set I priced....black housing with projectors and 6000k hids for $570. Or Xenondepot has the JWSpeakers LED lamps for $829.

ccfoodog 06-14-2013 12:09 PM

I really, really hope they put a nice HID projector in the next Wrangler.

-john

Scottina06 06-14-2013 12:10 PM

for sure

Sh0rtBus 06-15-2013 10:35 AM

I have a set of HID Projectors in my '11. It's actually my jeep on the front page of their website. Honestly I couldn't be happier with them. Tom is a great guy and can customize a set any way you like. I paid just under $500 for mine with slim ballasts, ccfl halos, shopping, etc. Read the shootout over on JK owners and make up your own mind. The jw speakers are great and most people are happy with them, but they're pricey and I personally think they look terrible. Too ricey for my taste. If you do end up going with the HID Projectors, tell Tom I sent you.

Scottina06 06-15-2013 02:02 PM

can I see some pics of Toms workmanship? Does he seal them nicely and guarantee them etc?

logiman84 06-15-2013 04:21 PM

I had JW speaker LED 8700 evolutions in my wrangler and I absolutely loved them. They are pricey, but after I put them in it was worth every penny. They have great light output and a great look.

Scottina06 06-15-2013 04:58 PM

Thanks forvthe feedbsck logiman! Your the second member to say that

Sh0rtBus 06-16-2013 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 842249)
can I see some pics of Toms workmanship? Does he seal them nicely and guarantee them etc?

I'll have to see if I can dig up some pics, but yes they are sealed well with the exception of one vent hole to allow heat to escape. Can be sealed up with silicone though. He has a thread on JK Owners with pics of different sets he builds all the time so check that out. And their cutoff is sharp and clean. Tested them side by side with the Trucklite Gen II and they project light much further out A's have a wider field to the sides too.

ccfoodog 06-16-2013 09:40 AM

All things being equal, HIDs should kick LEDs butt. They simply produce a lot more light (IIRC). The reason the Speakers are viable is they offer a nice drop in package and don't waste any of the light they produce.

Beam control is important. The stock halogen lights produce plenty of lumens, but it doesn't matter if they don't put them where you need them.

-john

Scottina06 06-16-2013 10:24 AM

do you guys know of any comparison pics of light output?