Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Fuel (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/fuel-61458.html)

Darth Vapor SRT 06-14-2013 11:24 AM

Fuel

Dare I ask...Is there anyone here who doesn't put premium in their SRT? I've got a friend of friend who "claims" he puts regular grade in his WK srt8. No shot right? I don't really know him personally but I don't see how this can be true.

Scottina06 06-14-2013 11:35 AM

Re: Fuel

I only use 93 octane shell or BP

Artofnoize 06-14-2013 11:44 AM

93 only

forza 06-14-2013 11:59 AM

He can put the lower octane fuel in. But, there is a good chance he'll be paying a lot more when his engine goes later. The lower octane is going to cause engine knock which can damage an engine.

Schleprock 06-14-2013 12:20 PM

will it run? Yes. Will it blow using it here or there? No. Is it good for long term structural integrity and performance? No.

Artofnoize 06-14-2013 01:05 PM

Why would you buy an SRT if you're too cheap to put the good fuel in it?

14StormTrooper 06-14-2013 05:37 PM

I only use Shell V-Power. I like feeding my truck like I would like to eat lol. You don't buy a 50-70k truck and fill it with lower grade fuel. Or go get a limited lol

Dadio61 06-15-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchrist30 (Post 841841)
I only use Shell V-Power. I like feeding my truck like I would like to eat lol. You don't buy a 50-70k truck and fill it with lower grade fuel. Or go get a limited lol

Shell V-Power is a scam. 'With Nitrogen!' Nitrogen is a completely inert element, that doesn't react with anything. At best, it is a stabilizing agent that may slow combustion. Being as premium burns slower than regular gas (which is why you can run advanced timing with higher octane fuel), I wouldn't be at all surprised if Shell is somehow using nitrogen in their regular gas to make your engine think you're running premium. I wouldn't use Shell gas to start my fire pit

14StormTrooper 06-15-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadio61 (Post 842397)
Shell V-Power is a scam. 'With Nitrogen!' Nitrogen is a completely inert element, that doesn't react with anything. At best, it is a stabilizing agent that may slow combustion. Being as premium burns slower than regular gas (which is why you can run advanced timing with higher octane fuel), I wouldn't be at all surprised if Shell is somehow using nitrogen in their regular gas to make your engine think you're running premium. I wouldn't use Shell gas to start my fire pit

What do you fill up with?

Dadio61 06-15-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchrist30 (Post 842402)

What do you fill up with?

I try to stay with Esso/Exxon for the most part. I also have a 3500 Ram, and get by far the best power & economy with their diesel. Chevron has worked well for me also.

Dadio61 06-16-2013 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadio61 (Post 842469)

I try to stay with Esso/Exxon for the most part. I also have a 3500 Ram, and get by far the best power & economy with their diesel. Chevron has worked well for me also.

One other thing about Shells 'nitrogen'. Almost 80% of the air going into the engine is nitrogen, why would you need even more in the gasoline?

Epoche 06-17-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadio61 (Post 842558)
One other thing about Shells 'nitrogen'. Almost 80% of the air going into the engine is nitrogen, why would you need even more in the gasoline?

The added nitrogen is bonded to the detergents in the gas and with this, it acts to protect the detergents from breaking down. Like how you said nitrogen is inert, this property applies to the detergent (somewhat) to make it last longer and able to remove engine deposits. The V-power gas is sold on the thought that the cleaner your engine internals, the more efficient it is and thus, the greater performance you can get out of it.