Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   Yelp is Here on Uconnect (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/yelp-is-here-on-uconnect-61473.html)

Evlar 06-14-2013 04:27 PM

Yelp is Here on Uconnect

It's official, folks. Yelp has arrived, as promised on Uconnect. I just went and turned on my new 2014 JGC and it had replaced the Bing search App. After messing around with it for 10 minutes, I notice no difference from Bing in how it operates or what services it provides. Also, the voice recognition is no more intuitive than before. For instance, as hard as I try, it does not recognize more difficult names like "Pei Wei Grill" or "Saki Too Restaurant". You just have to type those in.

Anyhow, I thought everyone would like to know. Now if we could just get the ViaMobile Applications released....

Roki303 06-14-2013 07:37 PM

Re: Yelp is Here on Uconnect

Still see BING in there ...

BobsWK2 06-14-2013 07:48 PM

Mine also now has Yelp.

Northland 06-14-2013 07:52 PM

Mine now has Yelp in place of Bing also.

geox19 06-14-2013 08:41 PM

Mine has Yelp

tllapointe 06-21-2013 07:43 AM

I tried Yelp for the first time today. I live in a town of 7,000 in Maine. I tried several searches.

It did find nearby restaurants and motels.

It could not find a single Gas Station, Hospital, Urgent Care Facility, Shopping business, or drug store.

I could not find any way to specify a different location to search - it defaults to "Current Location".

When I selected a restaurant to go to, it showed the GPS coordinates instead of the name.

As it is now, this seems pretty useless.

What have others experienced?

Tom

BobsWK2 06-21-2013 08:57 PM

Even though I know where they are, I tried using Yelp yesterday to find a Costco. By the way there are 2 within 20 miles and Yelp didn't find any. I know with Bing, it found them. That isn't the only thing Yelp hasn't found.

So far, Yelp is a flop.

tllapointe 06-22-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 846136)
Even though I know where they are, I tried using Yelp yesterday to find a Costco. By the way there are 2 within 20 miles and Yelp didn't find any. I know with Bing, it found them. That isn't the only thing Yelp hasn't found.

So far, Yelp is a flop.

Congratulations for post # 1000

BobsWK2 06-22-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tllapointe (Post 846275)
Congratulations for post # 1000

Thanks. :) I didn't even notice it till your post.

blackknight 06-23-2013 01:37 PM

Has anyone else experienced this?

If I am listening to SXM radio. When I start using Yelp, the SXM quits and it says acquiring signal. Simms to happen nearly everytime.

tllapointe 06-23-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackknight (Post 846936)
Has anyone else experienced this?

If I am listening to SXM radio. When I start using Yelp, the SXM quits and it says acquiring signal. Simms to happen nearly everytime.

For reference, I updated my Radio-Nav system to 3.15.4 a few weeks ago.

I had something similar happen today. I was sitting in my car with the ignition switch set to ACC to listen to music while I played with Yelp. I was in a larger town and wanted to see if Yelp worked better there. Some Yelp searches worked (Restaurant, bar, Entertainment & Drugstore). I tried a few others unsuccessfully (no no Gas, no Hospital, no Shopping, or no Motel) when the screen went black and the ignition turned OFF. I turned it back on and went to Yelp again and it still showed my last search. I went to my SXM display and my presets had reset back to those before my upgrade. STRANGE.

Earlier today, I tried Yelp at home and all I got was an error message on each search.

Tom

torifile 06-23-2013 07:30 PM

I don't understand this. Yelp is not a search engine. It's a recommendation engine. Bing made sense as a search provider. This doesn't.