Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Jeep Dash Waking Up? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/jeep-dash-waking-up-61485.html)

amc2002 06-15-2013 01:00 AM

Jeep Dash Waking Up?

I was on my way to bed and just happened to look out at the 2014 GC and noticed from the house that the tach, then LCD lit up for a second, then went back off. One key was where we keep the keys, the other was even farther away in the kitchen. I watched the Jeep for the next few minutes and it was quiet.

We don't lock it at night.

Last time I took it out was three hours ago. Anyone know why this would happen?

Nomorecars 06-15-2013 08:10 AM

Re: Jeep Dash Waking Up?

I have not experienced the exact same thing but, because of something similar, I have been concerned that something like that is happening while the car is parked. In my case, the instrument cluster woke up again after I shut down the car, and exited. It then went to sleep and woke up again, staying on for several minutes. Then it went to sleep, and woke up again.This happened a few times. I was very careful not to touch the door handle after locking the car, so it wasn't a key fob thing.

It hasn't happened in a few days, at least not that I have noticed. As for why it is happening, I have no clue. Maybe Chrysler has developed Skynet and we need to start worrying about a robot revolution.

JeepGCOverland 06-15-2013 08:19 AM

THIS IS ONLY A GUESS AND I AM PROBABLY COMPLETELY WRONG!

Try walking up to the Jeep with a key in your hand, not unlocking or locking it or grabbing the handle. The Jeep might wake up when it senses the key near (and might time out if it senses you are not entering, which might explain Nomorecars's experience). Maybe the Jeep is briefly sensing the key and waking up, but then loses reception of the key and going back to sleep.

bill_de 06-15-2013 08:20 AM

They way things keep changing in the system, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeep was pushing small updates. I don't know if they can or would wake up the car to do it.

AbleRiot 06-15-2013 08:39 AM

Is there a Transformers Jeep Grand Cherokee we don't know about?

jacko15 06-15-2013 08:55 AM

Don't forget the "SINGULARITY"!! :eek:

CLStech 06-15-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 842125)
They way things keep changing in the system, I wouldn't be surprised if Jeep was pushing small updates. I don't know if they can or would wake up the car to do it.

Bingo. It is probably system updates...

robpp 06-15-2013 03:17 PM

Ummmmmm NO.

amc2002 06-15-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLStech (Post 842146)

Bingo. It is probably system updates...

Interesting. I wonder if there is a way to tell? Where is /var/log/messages on this thing? :-)

amc2002 06-15-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepGCOverland (Post 842124)
THIS IS ONLY A GUESS AND I AM PROBABLY COMPLETELY WRONG!

Try walking up to the Jeep with a key in your hand, not unlocking or locking it or grabbing the handle. The Jeep might wake up when it senses the key near (and might time out if it senses you are not entering, which might explain Nomorecars's experience). Maybe the Jeep is briefly sensing the key and waking up, but then loses reception of the key and going back to sleep.

I'm sure that would do it, but the keys were far away from the Jeep. I didn't I have them on me when I saw this.

Willx 06-15-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 842133)
Don't forget the "SINGULARITY"!! :eek:

Yes this is always an issue as we don't know what they are up to in the parallel universe.

Much of the vehicle lays quietly awake for items such as passive entry. Because the remotes work on RF there is always a great deal of noise. The vehicle likely often has to validate signals that it sees that are on the right frequency and may be a remote. The programmers should not have the gauge cluster lighting up while this goes on though because I imagine it happens regularly.

Just a theory but similar to other equipment I have seen that needs to operate upon detection of an RF frequency.

Either that or fluctuations in the Singularity.

SteveCG 06-16-2013 11:37 AM

My tack and speedometer woke over 24 hours ago and still has not gone to sleep. No combination of locking, unlocking, starting or otherwise has put it back to sleep. This problem along with the climate screen being locked up heads me back to the dealer. :confused: