Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   It was a day to MOD (picture intensive) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/it-was-a-day-to-mod-picture-intensive-61516.html)

Tony407 06-15-2013 08:06 PM

It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Yesterday I spent the entire day working on some mods for the Jeep. Stainless Mopar pedals, K&N intake, Weathertech window visors, hardwired cell phone and radar detector mount, and Rugged Ridge floor liners and Weathertech cargo liner.

Here's the pedals. The brake pedal was a serious PITA to install. I had to use a heat gun and various pry tools and it took me over a half hour and there were lots of cuss words. They look great though. And I love the Rugged Ridge floor mats (they smell kinda funny though, which I'm sure will fade over time.)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps0937819c.jpg

K&N intake system 77-1560KTK. K&N hadn't even test fit this on the 2014 model yet but I took a chance and it fit like a glove. It sounds a little louder than stock just driving around town in ECO mode, but put your foot in it and it screams. Definitely not for those people who enjoy a quiet engine. Took about 90 minutes to install.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps71302bb3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps8076f706.jpg

Weathertech window deflectors.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psa6e74ed1.jpg


http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps2016f9ed.jpg

Hardwired cell phone mount. I used a Pro Fit International UL-242BG Ultimount V2 universal mount which is the what you see attached to the dash. I then used a ProClip USA charging mount specific for my Samsung Epic 4G and ran the wire down the side the of the gauges, where I tapped into the cigarette lighter wire.


http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps9eb72982.jpg

This is a Blendmount attachment for my Escort 9500ix radar detector. I used a SmartCard to provide power.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps60a28a5b.jpg

The small black button under the shifter is the mute button for the radar detector. I modified the remote for the SmartCord to fit under the shifter bezel and have the button sticking up through it so I can mute the detector.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps5d86abf2.jpg

Here's the two together:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf538be11.jpg

Passenger side Rugged Ridge floor mat. It only has one hole for the hook that holds it down, and it's in the wrong place (the Jeep has two hooks, one on each side). But the fit is so good it's not going anywhere anyway.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps9e6cf0af.jpg

The rear Rugged Ridge floor mat:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...pse3f7d230.jpg

The rear Weathertech cargo liner. I still need to use a heat gun and form the front edge since it's a little deformed. It still hasn't laid down all the way yet but it seems to fit really well and doesn't move around.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps2ccf2137.jpg

JFD328 06-15-2013 08:34 PM

Nice job.... It all looks great!!! Enjoy your jeep!!

torifile 06-16-2013 11:48 AM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Can you talk about your escort install? I'm interested in doing something like that. A parts list would be awesome.

peejym 06-16-2013 01:14 PM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 842408)
Hardwired cell phone mount. I used a Pro Fit International UL-242BG Ultimount V2 universal mount which is the what you see attached to the dash. I then used a ProClip USA charging mount specific for my Samsung Epic 4G and ran the wire down the side the of the gauges, where I tapped into the cigarette lighter wire.


http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps9eb72982.jpg

Can you tell me if the way you have the mount set, when you drive around does it bounce to the point where you cant even see the screen? From previous experience when mounted to an arm like that even on the smoothest of roads the phone acts like it's jell-o.

Also is that stuck on with adhesive or did you actually put a hole on your dash?

I also hardwired a cable on my GC and I have the vent mount from proclip which I did not use the adhesive that came with it.

f1anatic 06-16-2013 08:55 PM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf538be11.jpg

Why do you need the cell phone mount...when you have a fully functioning 2014 SUMMIT that comes with all the bells and whistles you can hope for ? IMHO it takes away from the clean design...But to each their own....

Nice job on hiding the radar detector mute button. Very sleek !

Grand_Jeep 06-16-2013 09:30 PM

Your jeep looks great, by the way how hard was it to take the cover to the rear view mirror to connect the wires to the radar, I'm guessing you hooked it up to the power wires that turn your 911 and assist button when you turn it on right???

Tony407 06-16-2013 11:01 PM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by torifile (Post 842706)
Can you talk about your escort install? I'm interested in doing something like that. A parts list would be awesome.

Blendmount and SmartCord from Amazon.

Tony


BlendMount Your Beltronics / Escort Radar Detector. High Quality Custom Mount (NOT COMPATIBLE WITH EUROPEAN VEHICLES AND C6 CORVETTES) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon.com: Escort 79-000041-02 Direct Wire SmartCord (Blue): Car Electronics

Tony407 06-16-2013 11:09 PM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grand_Jeep (Post 842932)
Your jeep looks great, by the way how hard was it to take the cover to the rear view mirror to connect the wires to the radar, I'm guessing you hooked it up to the power wires that turn your 911 and assist button when you turn it on right???

The entire assembly pulls away from the windshield, then the cover can be removed for easier access. Putting the mirror back on was a major job until I figured out that you have to rotate it (like a steering wheel), press, and then rotate the opposite direction to get it to click back on. I was having visions of taking it to the dealership for help, but I finally figured it out.

I tapped into the cigarette lighter in the center console, under the shifter bezel. Without the mute button, I could have tapped into the rearview mirror for power. However, since I was already running wires down there it made sense to have all the connections in one place.

Tony

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps08e41fc8.jpg

Tony407 06-16-2013 11:16 PM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by peejym (Post 842741)
Can you tell me if the way you have the mount set, when you drive around does it bounce to the point where you cant even see the screen?

It's not too bad. It's a short arm. I does bounce a little, but not that bad. I can see the screen without any issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peejym (Post 842741)
Also is that stuck on with adhesive or did you actually put a hole on your dash?

I used the adhesive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by peejym (Post 842741)
I also hardwired a cable on my GC and I have the vent mount from proclip which I did not use the adhesive that came with it.

I usually use the entire mount setup from Proclip but I don't like how the JGC mount obscured the vent, and the other one that goes down by the shifter console is too low and would require taking your eyes away from the road for too long. Proclip makes good stuff. I've had them in every car I've owned for many years now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 842911)
Why do you need the cell phone mount...when you have a fully functioning 2014 SUMMIT that comes with all the bells and whistles you can hope for ? IMHO it takes away from the clean design...But to each their own....

Nice job on hiding the radar detector mute button. Very sleek !

Thanks! I like having the phone mounted up high where I can glance at it without taking my eyes off the road. I also listen to a lot of Pandora and other streaming music and like having artist and song info where I can see it. I also like having it charge while I drive.

Tony

Tony407 06-16-2013 11:26 PM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
I'm probably going to add a different momentary push-button switch in place of the mute button that came with the SmartCord. I'll post pictures of that later.

Here's the SmartCord controller. In the second picture you can see that I ground away the small lip. I then glued the controller up underneath the gear shift bezel with the button protruding. It works fine, but when I drilled the hole in the bezel some of the silver-colored paint flaked away and while it's hardly noticeable, it really bothers me. By using an aftermarket push-button switch, I can hide the screw-up I did with the drill and plus the button will probably look more like it belongs there. I'll have to take apart the controller and solder the new button on the circuit board, which is something I've never done before though.

As a side note, the K&N intake is probably a little too loud for my taste. I'll leave it on a little longer and see if it grows on me. Otherwise, I'm considering going back to the stock setup.

Tony
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf963b5d3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...psa82b531d.jpg

walterhudson 06-17-2013 12:00 AM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Why even bother with all of this crap with only the V6 under the hood? Hopefully a CUV won't call you out at a traffic light.

Tony407 06-17-2013 02:10 AM

Re: It was a day to MOD (picture intensive)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by walterhudson (Post 843000)
Why even bother with all of this crap with only the V6 under the hood? Hopefully a CUV won't call you out at a traffic light.

Seriously? Was this comment even necessary?

Tony


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community