Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   K&N Intake 2014 Summit (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/k-and-n-intake-2014-summit-61522.html)

Tony407 06-16-2013 01:23 AM

K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
I just put this on yesterday. K&N part # 77-1560KTK. I wasn't sure if this would fit the '14, but it went right on without issue.

At WOT it's loud. Really, really loud. Like a screaming banshee. Driving around town in ECO mode you can hear a slight growl, whereas before I could hardly hear any engine noise at all.

Tony

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps71302bb3.jpghttp://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps8076f706.jpg

mhconley 06-16-2013 01:46 PM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
Is the difference in power noticeable? I just brought home a brand new 2014 Summit yesterday. It's white, too.

Martin

Tony407 06-16-2013 10:14 PM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
I can't notice a difference at all. Even if you get about 10 hp and 10 lb ft of torque like the manufacturer claims (which is a hotly debated topic), I don't think anyone can feel the difference on a 290 hp motor with their butt dyno.

It's pretty loud though. I'm not sure I like how much the volume level went up. I expected a noticeable increase, but not that much! LOL

Congrats on the new purchase!!! Mine is officially 9 days old now.

Tony

f1anatic 06-17-2013 06:15 AM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony407 (Post 842949)
I can't notice a difference at all. Even if you get about 10 hp and 10 lb ft of torque like the manufacturer claims (which is a hotly debated topic), I don't think anyone can feel the difference on a 290 hp motor with their butt dyno.

It's pretty loud though. I'm not sure I like how much the volume level went up. I expected a noticeable increase, but not that much! LOL

Congrats on the new purchase!!! Mine is officially 9 days old now.

Tony

You can mathematically demonstrate an improvement associated with the improved air flow (improved laminar flow - resulting from the removal of those chambers on the OEM duct - smaller static pressure). As for sucking hot air from the air compartment, I am skeptical; I expect an increased IAT to negate any advantages associated with the pipe.

robbie_c 06-17-2013 10:22 AM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
Can you post a video? I would love to compare the noise difference to my GC Laredo.

mhconley 06-17-2013 01:20 PM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by f1anatic (Post 843102)
You can mathematically demonstrate an improvement associated with the improved air flow (improved laminar flow - resulting from the removal of those chambers on the OEM duct - smaller static pressure). As for sucking hot air from the air compartment, I am skeptical; I expect an increased IAT to negate any advantages associated with the pipe.

If that is true then what about using the K&N tube with the stock airbox pulling cold air in from outside and a K&N filter? Would that be a better setup? What's the diameter of the K&N tube and could you connect it to the stock airbox? (It looks like it would work.)

Martin

PS. I too am an F1 fanatic - never miss a race.

padgett 06-17-2013 02:05 PM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
The key is in the IAT, could be rong but I thought the K&N box had its own barrier sealed to the hood when down and it is drawing in air from over the radiator support like the stock airbox.

If so I would expect an IAT rise of no more than 15F-20F above OAT over 50 mph (best after a cold start, after a hot soak it may take a while to stabilize. Biggest issue is the hot air coming off the radiator.

Do you have a way to read IAT/OAT ?

Think it will take a 180F thermostat and reprogrammed fans to really work.

BTW is the tube supported/dimpled so it does not rub the cam cover or wiring ?

f1anatic 06-17-2013 08:46 PM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mhconley (Post 843344)
If that is true then what about using the K&N tube with the stock airbox pulling cold air in from outside and a K&N filter? Would that be a better setup? What's the diameter of the K&N tube and could you connect it to the stock airbox? (It looks like it would work.)

Martin

PS. I too am an F1 fanatic - never miss a race.

I came up with a slightly ghetto solution for my TRUE cold air intake. I don't care :-)
- 2 x Home Depot rubber couplers with adjustable rings 1 1/4 dia.
- 1 x Vacuum Hose
- 1 x aFe Power Pro Dry S air filter ($50; for a 2013 JGC 3.6 L V6)
- cut the smaller diameter end of the OEM intake snorkel (P/N 68022213AB; $41)
- 1 x canibalized OEM intake resonator (P/N 68194974AA; $63) which I will cut up to keep the section entering the throttle body; the section with the turn and the section going into the OEM air filter box. The missing portions will be completed with AIRAID standard tubing cut to length and the appropriate couplers. [I do not have that part yet]
- 1 x 2 cycle oil bottle used as snorkel ($3). Previously I used a RIDGID vacuum accessory but it did not fit in properly. I do not like this one either, I would like to make it more recessed and also go for a wider cross-section.

I have the Quadra-Lift suspension so I am sure that whatever raging waters and rivers I will dare to cross with my wife's car...will be most likely UNDER that ride height level. And if I really must go deeper, nothing that a screw driver will not take care of in 5 minutes.

**Highly scientific** testing shows that a plastic bag would be sucked up when revving the engine (in Park) through that snorkel. I kept the OEM snorkel fully functional and I am supplementing with this. I do not have a way to measure IAT but I do have a way of measuring the air flow through the snorkel [with a TSI VelociCalc Rotating Vane Anemometer from work and I guess I could also measure the duct (or more safely the air filter box) temperature with a wired probe]. Have I done it ? No...the Jeep is not my project car. In fact I am forbidden to modify it by the Tiger Wife. For those projects, I have my Subaru Legacy GT/STI/EVO Hybrid :-) with a CarPC and real time telemetry.

Just as I typed this...my (other) car finally got the acknowledgement it deserved: I guess Marissa Mayer must be a car chick...
Hidden gems: 5 killer sleeper cars

Tony407 06-19-2013 01:31 AM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie_c (Post 843236)
Can you post a video? I would love to compare the noise difference to my GC Laredo.

Here you go. A little bit of Eco, then sport. And this is with the windows up.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L with K&N Intake - YouTube

Tony

kohj1978 06-19-2013 09:57 AM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
it sound great. i need one

BuckeyeSRT 06-20-2013 09:09 AM

Re: K&N Intake 2014 Summit
 
That sounds so good:thumbsup:
Here is my '12 with the windows down going under an overpass...or is it under and underpass?:D
and 2 less gears...factory exhaust too btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5e...layer_embedded">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d5e...layer_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community