Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Nail in Tire (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/nail-in-tire-61561.html)

cmk74 06-17-2013 09:28 AM

Nail in Tire

So my left rear tire has a nail in it. I went to two different tire places and both told me the tire needs to be replaced. The nail is in the outside most tread and for this reason it can't be repaired (All season tire). I have just over 20k on the tires and I figured they should be good for another 10k-15k miles. I hate to just replace one tire at this point. Anyone know of any warranty or deals that are out there. These tires are not cheap. Do you think the Jeep dealer is a good option?

hummer recovery team 06-17-2013 09:53 AM

I had a screw in the same spot, they told me the same I said just try and it's been fine for 2 years.

Scottina06 06-17-2013 10:41 AM

Re: Nail in Tire

You may be able to advertise here on the forums and find a tire. Other than that you best bet is to buy a new one or four new tires in another brand or something. The oem tires are outrageous. You could also try ebay for one single oem tire. Ive seen them on there periodically.

bill_de 06-17-2013 10:58 AM

According to Tech, one of the big tire repair supply manufactures, these repairs are just fine, if done properly. I just checked to see if they changed their position, and they haven't.

Years back I was at a meeting in Ohio where a Tech rep talked about proper repair. He brought a Uniroyal radial with him that they had put 19 holes in the sidewalls. After the repairs were made they ran this tire for something like 30,000 miles on a GM test track. Not one repair failed.

He pointed out that this was only safe on radial tires, although many myths abounded at the time about radial tires.

=- Welcome to Tech International :: Leader in Tire Repair Products -=

cmk74 06-17-2013 11:18 AM

I believe it can be repaired as well. These tires are so trong that without the sensor indicating there was a problem I may not have noticed it. I just need the hole patched or something so it holds air. I don't think the integrity of the tire will be affected at all. I'll see what I can do to get it fixed.

Scottina06 06-17-2013 11:22 AM

you coulkd plug it yourself

cmk74 06-17-2013 02:58 PM

I'm thinking about it. Or I just need to find the right guy to do it.

bill_de 06-17-2013 03:15 PM

For the best results, have them insert a plug from the inside. Then, cut it flush and put a patch over the plug.

Check online for tire repair shops in your area.

---

Jetcop20 06-17-2013 06:01 PM

First thing...when I picked up my '14 SRT on Jun 4th ..I spent an extra 22 secs and got the Wheel and Tire protection package for a whopping 485 dollars............can't beat it 5 yrs of worry free driving ( nail in tire or F Up rim get a NEW ONE):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

cmk74 06-18-2013 09:19 AM

Now that you say that I did the same when i purchased mine. I thought it only covered rim damage. I will pull out my paperwork and take a look. I hope this is the case.

cmk74 06-19-2013 04:34 PM

Went to the dealer told them the problem and tomorrow I will have a new tire free of charge thanks to the warranty I bought. Maybe the other three tires could pick up some road debris and I will have a complete set of new tires. Thanks for the heads up.

Jetcop20 06-19-2013 04:36 PM

Your welcome.............:thumbsup: