Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   driver side window problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/driver-side-window-problem-6157.html)

wildcar78 02-02-2010 02:36 PM

driver side window problem

Im new on these forums so bear with me. I just recently got a 99 WJ and yesterday I was putting my drivers window up and heard a pop. The next time I put it down and went to put it back up it didnt go up all the way. I had to push the window up by hand.
This morning I took the door apart and the cable is lose but I can really see what is actually wrong. I searched and didnt find anything helpful. Does anyone have any experience with this? thanks in advance

XXX007 02-02-2010 02:52 PM

Re: driver side window problem

www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=4729

Check there!

206WJ 02-02-2010 04:12 PM

It's a pretty simple fix. There is a cable off the regulator that moves the window up and down. They break VERY often. You can probably still hear the motor trying to go and maybe a thud or two as it "works."

You'll need to replace the regulator. It's pretty easy to do, about $150 at the dealer, or you can e-bay it very cheap.

Rich 02-02-2010 04:30 PM

Same for me twice on my 99WJ

I found the whole regulator/motor assembly new at a junkyard.
If I remember correctly:

1) Door skin off
2) Disconnect electrical components
3) lower window molding comes off(where the glass comes up from)
4) glass comes out carefully

It still will tear your arms up messing in there...

Unholyskorn86 02-02-2010 11:16 PM

You can get a new one from a parts store for around 75$

Joe in PA 02-03-2010 12:11 AM

I have replaced countless window regulators on my personal XJs and WJs. There's no real reason to remove the window from the door unless you really want to. Once the door panel is removed, just push it up in place and run a few strips of duct tape from the outside of the window over the top of the door and down onto the inside of window. Good idea too to use a piece of newspaper or old rag over the door frame unless you want to waste time getting the adhesive off when you are done. Then remove the old regulator, install the new one, remove the tape and lower the window into place till you can attach it to the regulator.

Might as well get use to doing this repair cause it probably won't be the last time. Chrysler and later DimeStore Chrysler went cheap on the piece that keeps the cable attached to the regulator. For the price difference between a plastic clip and a metal one, I've probably replace 20 on my own vehicles and countless others on other folks Jeeps. Good new is, the replacements generally have a metal clip and will never need replaced unless the motor dies. Just one of those little quirks about Jeeps and one that probably should have been a recall item but it is what it is.

wildcar78 02-03-2010 03:12 AM

So I guess ill be doing it this weekend. the only question I have is which bolts do I remove to get the regulator out? The window is actually stuck in the up position now so I need to figure out what is stuck and keeping it from falling down. Thanks for the help

mon_21 02-03-2010 07:30 AM

search for a window cable block, that will save you money from buying the whole regulator. Just replace the broken piece instead of the whole thing...
http://www.pocketlogger.com/images/jpwblock.jpg

Joe in PA 02-03-2010 11:42 AM

Hey Mon! Were the hell you been the last 15 years? That little tip could have saved me buku $$$$$ :D

Joe in PA 02-03-2010 12:29 PM

Almost forgot to answer the question posed. :D

First let me say I've never had a window stuck in the closed position when the regulator cable let go. Instead I'd hear the pop and watch the window fall or I'd be headed to the Jeep and see the window was done and kick my self for being so absentminded only to find out it would not go back up when I hit the switch. Not saying your cable didn't go, as you did mention the tell-tale pop. Just never had it happen that way to me.

Once you get the panel off and remove the speaker and vapor dam, you will see I believe 5 or 6 bolt heads that hold the regulator in place. Some will be going through holes in the metal (3 if I am not mistaken) and they need to be completely removed. There will be others (2 or 3) that are located in a slot that eventually leads to a hole big enough for the bolt head to slip through. These need to be loosened enough so you can slide the entire regulator to the point where all the bolt heads go through the large holes. You'll want to put don your ratchet after they are loose and use both hands to remove the regulator. It is at all heavy but it is almost too big to fanagle out out of the opening in the inner metal panel. Putting the new one in can be even more frustrating with the cable intact but it will eventually line up so that you can move it into place and bolt it down.

Sound far more complicated than it really is and will be much clearer once you open things up and take a look.

mon_21 02-03-2010 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in PA (Post 144152)
Hey Mon! Were the hell you been the last 15 years? That little tip could have saved me buku $$$$$ :D

LoL....i was busy playing in 1st grade......

Mande 09-26-2012 12:33 PM

I need the window cable block. Where can I find it? I've been searching and can only find the complete regulator which I do not need.....I hope.