Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Got off my butt and (finally) went for a test drive (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/got-off-my-butt-and-finally-went-for-a-test-drive-61578.html)

jdc311 06-17-2013 01:29 PM

Got off my butt and (finally) went for a test drive

So, I currently drive an Ecoboost F150 SuperCrew, which I have loved since Day 1 (it's 2 years old now). In the past 2 years, my situation has changed such that I desire a more compact vehicle, but I don't want to give up the 4x4 capability and fun of driving the Ecoboost.

Long story short, that situation has led me to follow the Ecodiesel GC for some time now (i.e. I don't want to give up that 420lb ft/tq from the F150). I'd even held off on test drives of the V6 & V8 as I was sure the CRD would be what I want.

So, given the delays of the CRD, I finally broke down, got off my butt, headed over to the local Jeep dealer and test drove a black/black Overland V6 (no other options). Here are my thoughts:

1) I was initially surprised at the sound of the V6 at idle standing outside the Jeep. It was fine with the doors shut, but noisy outside.

2) The seats were comfortable, and I liked the black interior more than I thought I would. The ventilated seats were on, but I barely noticed them (wife couldn't tell a difference at all). Not a big deal, just an observation.

3) I was surprised at how much I liked driving the V6 w/ the 8 speed. Coming from the F150, I was convinced I'd hate it. Even in Eco mode in D, it actually held the low gears well and didn't feel like a dog at all (which is what I expected). I'm not concerned w/ 0-60 times or anything, I just don't want a vehicle where it feels dead in certain spots while accelerating. Pleasantly surprised by that.

4) I'm glad to have kept up on this forum as I would have had no idea what to do with the shifter. The sales guy didn't even bother to explain it to me.

5) I didn't like the infotainment system as much as I had hoped. The screen didn't seem as sharp as I had expected. Don't get me wrong, it seemed to have plenty of resolution, the coloring just seemed dull on the navigation. Not really sure how to describe it.

6) My salesperson was a douche, but that's par for the course around here unfortunately. I'll need to get to a dealer a little further away to see other colors and to test drive a Hemi. Not to mention, my local dealer apparently only stocks black on black vehicles. (Really want to see the indigo interior in person)

7) The Quadralift was more noticeable than I expected even though it only moves a couple of inches or less in each direction. Kinda fun to watch the nose adjust.

Anyway, I liked the test drive enough to consider hunting down an Overland V6 with the options I want. I do want to compare it to the Hemi, however, I don't tow enough (or even enough weight when I do tow) to justify buying it. Although if it sounds like a V8 should, all bets are off. :)

Ultimately, it will be tough to give up the F150, it mostly depends on the trade in value of the truck.

Anyone have any advice on things I should pay attention to on a longer test drive?

bertball50 06-17-2013 01:35 PM

Re: Got off my butt and (finally) went for a test drive

i'd test drive the hemi as well. at youll know the invoice price which is nice, then youll have to crunch the numbers. usually its not the best to trade before 3 years bc of depreciation, but you never know until you check

Jim_in_PA 06-17-2013 03:20 PM

If you like the throaty sound of engines from back when many of us were just youngsters decades ago, even the stock Hemi setup in the JGC sounds reaonably good. When folks do a few little mods, it gets even more appealing if you like "that sound". Most of it stays outside, however, so you can still enjoy the quiet comfort while cruising. But when you stomp on it, the roar comes up to greet you.

Coming from the near total silence of a Highlander Hybrid, I had to get used to that Hemi sound, including the rumbling idle. LOL

jeepinAl 06-17-2013 03:48 PM

Report back when you do test drive the V8. Those that have the V8 say it's great. Those that have the V6 say it's great. Since you don't have either and coming from a Ford, I'll consider you unbiased.

Al

p.s. The Limited V6 I'm going to order is great...see I'm already biased.

GBJeep 06-17-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bertball50 (Post 843350)
i'd test drive the hemi as well.

What he said

jdc311 06-17-2013 04:55 PM

Definitely will at least test drive the Hemi. If I towed anything with regularity, the Hemi would be at the top of the list. Looks like I will have a chance to drive the Hemi and V6 back-to-back on Thursday.

I will report as un-biased as I possibly can. I really have no skin in the game either way. I think the V6 will be sufficient for my purposes, but I must try the Hemi to sort out any doubts!

JeeperJohn 06-17-2013 05:02 PM

Just got back from a 300 mile trip to the Jersey Shore in our Hemi Summit. The power is like a drug for sure. However, I got 25-26 mpg at a steady 75mph cruise with cruise control on and averaged 19.8 for the 4 day trip (if you believe the EVIC. I was pretty impressed with that, don't write off the Hemi.

Tony407 06-18-2013 01:56 AM

Like you, I had my heart initially set on the CRD but got tired of waiting. I rented a Limited V6 for a weekend and fell in love with the engine/transmission combo. After spending two days in the V6 I drove straight to the dealership and test drove the Hemi. I was surprised how different the ride quality was and the amount of body lean on the Hemi vs. the V6. I tried different models to compare, trying to eliminate other causes but the only thing I could come up with as that the Hemi weighs several hundred pounds more than the V6. The suspension felt much tighter, the whole vehicle seemed lighter on its feet, and the increase in body lean on the Hemi was quite substantial. I ended up buying a V6 Summit and I don't have any regrets at all.

Tony

Yadkin 06-18-2013 06:02 AM

Since you went for the Ecoboost F150 I'm sure you're concerned about fuel mileage. (Great truck by the way, my son wants one badly. Poor boy has my 04 Explorer. He'll just have to wait until he graduates college, off the family dole and can pay for a new truck himself.)

I came from an 07 Expedition Eddie Bauer to the Jeep GCO with the Pentastar V6. I was a Ford guy since the 70's and left because they no longer make a RWD car or mid-sized SUV. The Expedition was extremely capable, fantastic highway ride with the IRS, and adequate power with the 5.4L V8. My only complaints were the size (hard to park) and gas mileage (I got about what the EPA estimates).

Zero issues with the V6 for me. It has a higher power/ weight ratio than the Expedition. I drive a lot of mountain roads and the Jeep revs a lot slower on my high speed up hill routes. Again, I get about what the EPA estimates for fuel mileage. Since I drive over 20,000 miles year I figure I'm saving $125/ month. I must confess, I love this new Jeep. :)

Not sure about the noise you're hearing at idle with the V6 you test drove. Mine is whisper quiet. In drive it idles at 500rpm.

The only driveability issue I have with it is that the engine has a slight pulsation sound at 60-65 mph in 5th (top) gear when going up a slight grade. ChyCo has acknowledged this issue, but since it's not a big problem, offers no fix. My wife doesn't even notice it.

You will like the Jeep's IRS compared to the F150 live rear axle.

My Expedition had heated/ cooled seats. The Jeep has less sophisticated heated/ ventilated seats. They cool just as well, maybe a little better, as the cooling effect is instant and does not shut off after 30 minutes like the Ford system.

KILOFINAL 06-18-2013 06:35 PM

Good report. I currently drive a F150 Ecoboost as well and need something a little more compact. Trying to park in downtown parking spaces is a pain let alone parking garages.

I'm not going to miss MyFordTouch or Sync!

LSU_FAN 06-18-2013 10:33 PM

If you like the power of your eco boost your going to like the hemi and it should give you about the same mpg's your getting with your truck or a little better.