Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How to (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f204/)
-   -   Keyless Entry Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f204/keyless-entry-question-61581.html)

chinookguy25 06-17-2013 02:04 PM

Keyless Entry Question

I bought the jeep and it does not have a key fob. Can I order any replacement? How do I program the Key?

On another note sometimes when I try to unlock the doors with the key in the drivers door it does not work. Is this the actuator going out or something else?

cheapjeep 06-17-2013 04:16 PM

Re: Keyless Entry Question

If it's a Laredo it may not have keyless entry at all,just power windows and locks so it wouldn't have a fob.The only way I know to tell is if there is a small antenna wire coming out of the pass side door control module behind the door panel.If it has the antenna wire it has keyless entry.

Frango100 06-17-2013 04:23 PM

Yes, you can buy replacement key fobs from the stealer or probably e-bay. Then the fobs code has to be programmed into the jeeps receiver. Again stealer or some locksmits can do it (for less).
Using the key to lock-unlock the door is completely mechanically. In this way you can still lock/unlock the door when the battery is flat. So maybe the mechanism needs some lubrication.
I see that Dave mentioned that Laredos maybe donīt have the key fobs. You could check that on the EVIC, where several programmable features regarding key fobs are present. (Remote Unlock, Remote linked to memory). I donīt think that those options are there when the transmitter is not installed. My jeep manual says that this is standard equipment on this model, it doesnīt say anything about the different models.

chinookguy25 06-17-2013 07:25 PM

Thanks for the advice I will take a look. Frank you have helped a lot on this jeep. How do i thank you on the forum. I can check the EVIC because of your help getting it hooked back up. Thanks!:thumbsup:

chinookguy25 06-17-2013 07:33 PM

Frank,

I just checked the EVIC and it has the options you are talking about. Any recommendations on where to get a key fob?

Frango100 06-17-2013 08:31 PM

Have a look here: Amazon.com: Keyless Entry Remote Fob Clicker for 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Memory #1 (Must be programmed by Jeep dealer): Automotive . I just took this page, to show you which type of remote you should be looking for. On my jeep remote there is no panic button, just lock/unlock and its grey in color. But mine is for the European market, so probably is different.
On jeeps with the memory function, you could get two different color fobs, for two different drivers. Each driver has its own fob, which corresponds to memory 1 or 2, with each its own seat position and radio station memory.

bicdaddy 09-30-2013 09:00 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, so I'll ask my question here. First off, I got out of my skill set finding my electrical problem. My aftermarket remote start caused an issue in the bus... Enough to fry the ECM. I removed the suspect starter, only to find out the problem still existed. Had to get it towed to a shop, where they eventually figured it out, and replaced the ECM with a used one, and now everything works fine (~$800+).
I'm happy that's done, but now I have a new dilemma. I lost remote entry when I removed the starter. I don't have any factory fobs, but I'm wondering if that's all I need to get (and of course have a dealer program it) for remote entry. Can anyone help me out here? Getting tired of dumping $$$ into this.

Frango100 09-30-2013 09:12 PM

It all depends on what they modified installing the aftermarket remote start.
The factory remote receiver is part of the passenger door module. But be aware, the factory remotes often don't work well. The distance they work can differ from 30 ft to 1 ft only. Many people would be happy to install some aftermarket remote entry, so this would be your change. And it also won't have to be programmed by the stealer.

bicdaddy 09-30-2013 09:17 PM

Thank you for the quick reply! I think I will go aftermarket, but I know nothing about quality with these. Anyone have insight on this?