Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   At a loss for words (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/at-a-loss-for-words-61589.html)

VermontJGC14 06-17-2013 06:27 PM

At a loss for words

My wife just took her mother for a spin to show off our brand new '14 Limited. She was trying to turn down the stereo on the steering wheel, and was apparently hitting the left paddle shifter to do so after forgetting where the volume adjust buttons are. It appears that she then drove all the way home - about 15 miles - IN FIRST GEAR.

"That thing is behaving really weird," she said. "And it sounds awful."

Is it really possible that this just happened?

Willx 06-17-2013 06:34 PM

Re: At a loss for words

Quote:

Originally Posted by VermontJGC14 (Post 843512)
My wife just took her mother for a spin to show off our brand new '14 Limited. She was trying to turn down the stereo on the steering wheel, and was apparently hitting the left paddle shifter to do so after forgetting where the volume adjust buttons are. It appears that she then drove all the way home - about 15 miles - IN FIRST GEAR.

"That thing is behaving really weird," she said. "And it sounds awful."

Is it really possible that this just happened?

OH Boy, I am trying to restrain myself but yes... totally. My Benz would have done the exact same thing. All she needs to do is Press and HOLD the plus paddle for a couple seconds to get out of that..... Sorry I need to just a little. :lol:

Thank god there is a limiter on the engine.

Sorry, dont mean to offend but your title says it all :thumbsup:

bill_de 06-17-2013 06:38 PM

I think that pulling the shifter back would have also gotten her back into D

---

cnynctry 06-17-2013 06:54 PM

And that even if you are in the manual mode it will shift gears one you get to a high enough RPM. It won't let you over rev the engine.

2012 Summit 06-17-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnynctry (Post 843536)
And that even if you are in the manual mode it will shift gears one you get to a high enough RPM.

Are you sure about that?

Willx 06-17-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 843554)

Are you sure about that?

I am not sure about this either. I also can't try this with anything I have access to.

VermontJGC14 06-17-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnynctry (Post 843536)
And that even if you are in the manual mode it will shift gears one you get to a high enough RPM. It won't let you over rev the engine.

I was really hoping this is what happened, because she said she was driving in excess of 50 mph, but that the engine was "revving super high" the whole time. I can't imagine what the RPMs would be like going 50 in first gear.

If it were a child, I'd rush it to the emergency room after something like that. I immediately took it for a ride, and nothing seems amiss. But let's just say there is a serious tutorial coming on this "too complicated" car before she drives it again.

Willx 06-17-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VermontJGC14 (Post 843560)
I was really hoping this is what happened, because she said she was driving in excess of 50 mph, but that the engine was "revving super high" the whole time. I can't imagine what the RPMs would be like going 50 in first gear.

If it were a child, I'd rush it to the emergency room after something like that. I immediately took it for a ride, and nothing seems amiss. But let's just say there is a serious tutorial coming on this "too complicated" car before she drives it again.

She Very well could have been locked in Second or Third. It won't start in Third so it would have dropped down. The Rev limiter will not allow over Redline.

bill_de 06-17-2013 07:51 PM

In Users Guide, Second Edition;

" Normally,inPaddleShiftMode,thetransmissionwillauto maticallyshiftup whenmaximumenginespeedisreached.If,however,PaddleS hiftModeis engagedwhileinSPORTmode,thetransmissionwillremaini ntheselectedgear evenwhenmaximumenginespeedisreached.Thetransmissio nwillupshift onlywhencommandedbythedriver.

Sorry, my tablet deletes spaces when I copy and paste, but you can figure it out.

---

VermontJGC14 06-17-2013 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_de (Post 843581)
In Users Guide, Second Edition;

" Normally,inPaddleShiftMode,thetransmissionwillauto maticallyshiftup whenmaximumenginespeedisreached.If,however,PaddleS hiftModeis engagedwhileinSPORTmode,thetransmissionwillremaini ntheselectedgear evenwhenmaximumenginespeedisreached.Thetransmissio nwillupshift onlywhencommandedbythedriver.

-

So as long as she was in drive and not sport, it should have shifted automatically - albeit really late - right? That makes me feel a bit better.

bill_de 06-17-2013 07:59 PM

That's how I read it, and that's exactly how my MDX 6 speed worked.

---

cnynctry 06-17-2013 08:08 PM

Lets put it this way. That's how it's supposed to work. Lots of electronic failsafe's to keep people of doing those things by mistake. Might have gone into a limp home mode. But yes it will up shift even of you forget if it hits the red line. I've done it a couple of times. It will also not allow you to downshift if it would be turning too many RPMs. Self preservation.