Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-overland-issues-christmas-tree-cluster-61650.html)

Daytonguy21 06-19-2013 08:07 AM

2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
So I am ~2500 miles into my 2014 Overland and have had a minor problem or two with the infotainment system freezing or randomly switching between radio and an empty aux jack, but for the most part have been moderately happy with the car.

This morning I went to start it and had probably every electronic fault indicator go off. The center cluster looked like a Christmas light show. The Rear park sense indicator, air ride suspension, ABS brakes, Check engine light, and parking brake indicator were all lit. Also, my electronic fuel calculator and rage estimator stopped working, and then on the drive in my speedometer stopped working too. Mechanically the car ran fine, just all the indicators were illuminated. <O:p</O:p

When I got to the office I turned it off and let it sit for 30 minutes while I got some work done then went out to start it and the check engine light was the only indicator still lit. I didnít drive it to see if the fuel economy or speedo worked yet. <O:p</O:p

Has anyone had a fault like this and have any clue what it could be or how to fix it? I have a service appointment scheduled to have the tech look at it, but just would like to have some idea going in.
<O:p</O:p
Thanks!<O:p</O:p

Chunderboy 06-19-2013 08:20 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytonguy21 (Post 844482)
So I am ~2500 miles into my 2014 Overland and have had a minor problem or two with the infotainment system freezing or randomly switching between radio and an empty aux jack, but for the most part have been moderately happy with the car.

This morning I went to start it and had probably every electronic fault indicator go off. The center cluster looked like a Christmas light show. The Rear park sense indicator, air ride suspension, ABS brakes, Check engine light, and parking brake indicator were all lit. Also, my electronic fuel calculator and rage estimator stopped working, and then on the drive in my speedometer stopped working too. Mechanically the car ran fine, just all the indicators were illuminated. <O:p</O:p

When I got to the office I turned it off and let it sit for 30 minutes while I got some work done then went out to start it and the check engine light was the only indicator still lit. I didnít drive it to see if the fuel economy or speedo worked yet. <O:p</O:p

Has anyone had a fault like this and have any clue what it could be or how to fix it? I have a service appointment scheduled to have the tech look at it, but just would like to have some idea going in.
<O:p</O:p
Thanks!<O:p</O:p

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/2014-j...ing-61339.html

Here is the link to a similar issue

Daytonguy21 06-19-2013 08:39 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Thanks Chunderboy, sounds like this is a fairly widespread problem with the 14's.

Chunderboy 06-19-2013 09:31 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytonguy21 (Post 844495)
Thanks Chunderboy, sounds like this is a fairly widespread problem with the 14's.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case. For the life of me, I can't understand how this fairly new technology (for Jeep that is) wasn't really put the paces and just thrown in there haphazardly. Times like these, I am glad to have my 2013...

BobsWK2 06-19-2013 09:37 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
I see nothing posted in your post.

eljeffe505 06-19-2013 08:01 PM

Join the club... 2 drink minimum.

bill_de 06-19-2013 09:07 PM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eljeffe505 (Post 844900)
Join the club... 2 drink minimum.

Highlight the "invisible text" to read it. Depending on what color scheme you are using, the OP's text is the same as the background. Highlighting the text changes the color.



.

padgett 06-20-2013 08:37 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
See the previous threads. In many caes some of the codes relate to high or low voltage and loose ground wires are found under the hood or on the battery.

The '14s with the 8.4 do seem more sucessible to ground faults and spikes that earlier but may be due to the power distribution rather than the electronics themselves.

In other words a problem on the assembly line and not anything in the vehicle design.

I do know that if a new '14 was purchased I would personally check all grounds and codes before it ever left the lot & I would consider adding power conditioning (big capacitor) to the circuit.

Chunderboy 06-20-2013 08:43 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by padgett (Post 845154)
See the previous threads. In many caes some of the codes relate to high or low voltage and loose ground wires are found under the hood or on the battery.

The '14s with the 8.4 do seem more sucessible to ground faults and spikes that earlier but may be due to the power distribution rather than the electronics themselves.

In other words a problem on the assembly line and not anything in the vehicle design.

I do know that if a new '14 was purchased I would personally check all grounds and codes before it ever left the lot & I would consider adding power conditioning (big capacitor) to the circuit.

For all the new 14 buyers, is there a list somewhere of all the grounds that should be checked?

AAAA 06-20-2013 09:48 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Thanks Bill. Good to know.

bill_de 06-20-2013 10:27 AM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunderboy (Post 845156)
For all the new 14 buyers, is there a list somewhere of all the grounds that should be checked?

As far as I know there was only one specific ground point that was found to be problematic. It was a ground strap going to the right front frame rail. There was a star report issued, so I'd be pretty sure that it was taken care of pretty quickly on the assembly line.

It has been blamed for all sorts of woes. I checked mine when I got my Jeep in March and it was tight. When I went in with a problem, Jeep told the dealer to clean up that ground, even though it was tight. When I went back with the same problem Jeep told the dealer to change the PCM. No more problem. Since a lot of problems with 14's are intermittent, it's an easy thing to point to.

A couple of us also found loose negative battery terminals.


---

amc2002 06-20-2013 03:22 PM

Re: 2014 Overland Issues: Christmas Tree Cluster
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daytonguy21 (Post 844482)
--snip-- Also, my electronic fuel calculator and rage estimator stopped working, and then on the drive in my speedometer stopped working too. --snip--

When I was having issues with my GC, my rage estimator said 999999. I actually think it was working correctly.

:thumbsup:

On a more serious note, in my case and a couple others, yes it was the negative battery strap that was the issue.

I WOULD NOT DRIVE ONE MORE MILE before I checked these grounds (mentioned above by bill_de) myself. In my case, it fried quite a lot on the car. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community