Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Satelite Radio (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/satelite-radio-61655.html)

kwtengine2 06-19-2013 10:24 AM

Satelite Radio

Anybody having an issue with the reception on the Sirius radio? Mine goes out often with no overhead obstruction and in nice weather. I never had a problem with it until this truck.

Keirik 06-19-2013 10:52 AM

Re: Satelite Radio

Ive had this problem too a bit. I attribute it to the shark fin antenna. Ive always heard that while they look nice, they arent as reliable reception wise compared to a regular antenna

SnoFire 06-19-2013 12:29 PM

I have no problems what so ever with reception for Sirius/XM..

not_too_shabby 06-19-2013 01:07 PM

It's actually the southern view that needs to be clear. Trees will even block it if you are driving east west with big trees on both sides of the road.

Happens on my wife's Mercedes as well.

kirk1233 06-19-2013 02:11 PM

I've noticed this. Cuts out more than my 2005 I traded in...

Specx 06-19-2013 04:16 PM

I only have this issue when at the gas station or going through a drive-thru where they have a cover I have to pass through. Otherwise the reception is always on. I can even have it in my garage and get reception. There is this one spot on my way home in front of a high school where it always drops till I pass and if I get stuck at that light, I get no reception. It's odd, because this is the only dead zone I've encountered where there's nothing blocking the signal, no trees, building, hills.

blackknight 06-19-2013 09:10 PM

It happens all the time on mine. My other vehicles do not cut out.

LSU_FAN 06-19-2013 10:46 PM

We have this problem also, in wide open area with perfect weather it cuts out for a 5-10 seconds ever now and then. My truck never did this and the sat antenna is flat.

ChrisOC 06-20-2013 01:17 AM

Mine cuts out in the same two spots near my house. I'm not sure why, there shouldn't be interference due to buildings, maybe cell towers are causing this.

Edit: the two other cars I have been in that have satellite radio also cut out in the same spots.

InTheBush 06-20-2013 07:15 AM

Mine cuts out all the time.
At least every 10 minutes or so.
Trees on south side of road all the time but sometimes clear skies and no trees or buildings.
I was thinking antenna not very good or not a tight connection or a poor termination.

Nature of the beast or something not right?

Al

bobkbusch 06-20-2013 07:41 AM

It's solar flares!!! (Maybe...maybe not)

"Increased numbers of flares are quite common at the moment, since the sun's normal 11-year activity cycle is ramping up toward solar maximum, which is expected in late 2013."

"AccuWeather astronomer Hunter Outten said that these impressive flares have been responsible for disrupting a variety of satellite communications, even causing some blackouts that have lasted from nine to 25 minutes. Cell phones, radios and GPS devices can all be affected by solar flare radiation."