Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   HID Lights on 5.7L Hemi Limited (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/hid-lights-on-5-7l-hemi-limited-61660.html)

Blackwelma01 06-19-2013 12:28 PM

HID Lights on 5.7L Hemi Limited

I just purchased a headlight kit (bulbs, ballast, housing) and installed it. Looks good, except for the fact that the HID lights decided to not work. They lit up for a few seconds, flickered, then went out. Writing to the manufacturer to get a replacment, but I doubt that both ballasts and bulbs were wrong. But, they worked for a few seconds. It's plug and play too so I couldn't have messed up the wiring. Question is - do you need different ballast for Laredo vs Limited trims? I wouldn't think so, but perhaps the manufacturer sent me the wrong thing? Any thoughts on troubleshooting the issue as a whole? Thanks!

Redpit 06-19-2013 12:54 PM

Sounds like all you need is a relay. Check out the retro fit source for a nice quality relay.

Blackwelma01 06-19-2013 01:49 PM

Re: HID Lights on 5.7L Hemi Limited

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure what that is exactly. I went back to the website that I purchased it from (360tuners) and couldn't find a relay. You'd think they would include it as part of their 'everything you need' kit right? They're xenon lights and not cheap.

Thanks again.

Redpit 06-19-2013 01:57 PM

No most cars/trucks do not need them. The Jeep, though, is picky. I suggest the retrofit source, because it is a dual relay. On most cheap relays it is a single, and because of that if your relay does die than both lights go out. With a double that will not happen. Nothing worse than going down a dark road and losing both lights.

EtherealPonx 06-21-2013 12:27 PM

Apologies for the hijack, slightly relevant .. Im planning on getting the VHID kit from V-LED for the high beams, there is an option there for a relay, though it states for low beam/fog lights. Therefore presumably a relay is not required for the high beams HID?

Blackwelma01 06-21-2013 02:07 PM

Just to update, and sort of answer your question EtherealPonx - For me, a relay was NOT needed. Turns out the ballast were busted. I had new ones shipped to me and they lights are working. Only problem was some flickering when the lights are turned off the first few times, then they seem to get used to it and everything is fine. I can't imagine any reason you would need a relay on the High Beam for HID.

EtherealPonx 06-21-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackwelma01 (Post 845932)
Just to update, and sort of answer your question EtherealPonx - For me, a relay was NOT needed. Turns out the ballast were busted. I had new ones shipped to me and they lights are working. Only problem was some flickering when the lights are turned off the first few times, then they seem to get used to it and everything is fine. I can't imagine any reason you would need a relay on the High Beam for HID.

Thanks, the V-LED website dropdown option for Relay Harness states: "HID RELAY HARNESS SINGLE OUTPUT LOW BEAM HEADLIGHT / FOG LIGHT +$14.99". so I would presume that would only be needed on lows/fogs.

My humble understanding of relays from this website; they are required to reduce the length of wire between the power source and the headlights, to reduce voltage drop (all modern cars should have them). I would expect upgraded HID to feed off existing Relays in our GCs, and hence no need to purchase any extra for this application. I guess it falls down to models that do not come with HIDs that have a lower power consumption headlight, and when upgrading to HID, would require a high rating relay to compensate for the dropped voltage that otherwise would be insufficient to power the HID. But then perhaps it would be wise to increase the power rating of relays when upgrading the filaments.

From WKjeeps.com:

"The Steering Control Module (SCM) sends the appropriate electronic headlamp switch and headlamp beam select switch status messages to the Front Control Module (FCM) over the CAN data bus. The FCM responds to these messages by providing a pulse width modulated voltage output to the proper headlamp bulbs through the right and left low and high beam feed circuits to illuminate the selected headlamp beams. The FCM also sends the appropriate electronic messages to the EMIC to control the illumination of the high beam indicator."

I would expect the the FCM to interface with both high and low beam feed circuits through separate relays. I could be totally wrong in this analysis too :)