Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   WK 05 won't start (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/wk-05-wont-start-61681.html)

chris_pr 06-19-2013 08:30 PM

WK 05 won't start

Hi guys,

I am having trouble with my 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was working fine and suddenly it wouldn't start. I checked the battery and it is good. Also when I try to start it makes a click sound. The sound can be heard louder near the fuse box. Does anyone knows what the problem might be? I will appreciate your help.

Thanks

Frango100 06-20-2013 06:06 AM

Re: WK 05 won't start

The click sound is probably the starter relay which closes. Could be the starter motor/solenoid or corroded wire connections. Give some taps with a hammer or alike on the starter motor solenoid and try again.
Eventhough the starter relay clicks doesn´t say that the internal contacts are good, so you could swap that relay with an other and try.

hitch 06-20-2013 11:29 PM

Having the exact same issue right now with my 07 wk. Ill try that advice thanks

johnvitc 07-11-2013 12:46 PM

My '07 did that and I brought back to dealer 4 times before they changed the shifter. The shifter was not communicating that the vehicle was in park, and would not turn over. If the started proves ok, check this as well.

Maciej 12-28-2013 09:59 AM

Having the same issue, left me stranded at work at 7 am after a night shift. Changed with new battery and still no start. Local parts store says old battery has 530 of 730 CCA's and needs to be replaced. Haven't tried charging new battery to rule out a crappy new battery. Dealer thought it might be the key but neither key works, so that can't be it. Will be trying the relay swap and crossing my fingers, otherwise on to my shop to check on the starter/connections and hoping it's that simple, cause computer swaps and chasing electrical gremlins *shudder* won't be fun.

If anybody has a cure or has fixed similar pls post up. My lights/accessories all work, dim down when trying to start and I get a click, but no crank. Tried mutliple times to play with shifter in case it was neutral/park issue, won't start in neutral either. When it finally did start I had the key turned for a couple of seconds and it slowly started to crank and finally fired. Drove it home 15 min, shut her down and she started 3 times with no problems. Came back an hour or two later and no start, same thing. We had a cold snap here but it's recently warmed up, around 32 degrees F. Lots of salt on the roads, although I did get a rust proofing done a couple of months ago.

Help pls or my wife will kill me for buying a Hemi (05 GC) even though she likes the power ;)

Maciej 12-28-2013 01:06 PM

Tried a new relay, no go so it's not that.
I kept turning the key off and on and it's almost like it was "priming" and finally started. Starts no problem after that, so I guess I'll have my shop guy take a look at the starter soon.