Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   ACC / FCW Error Message (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/acc-fcw-error-message-61704.html)

EdwinDiaz 06-20-2013 08:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
After leaving the dealership service department for another issue, I was driving around and suddenly started receiving this error message and random "BRAKE" messages from the FCW system. I pulled over to clean the radar sensor and noticed the plastic square molding with the round cutout around the radar sensor was no longer on the truck. I'm not sure if it was removed and never put back on by the service tech, or it popped off by itself.

By the time I realized what was wrong, the service department was already closed. I'm assuming the missing piece is causing the error messages. I'll update this post when I get a chance to go back to the dealership again. Just figured I'd share with you guys if you ever come across this.

Willx 06-20-2013 09:51 AM

Re: ACC / FCW Error Message

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinDiaz (Post 845164)
After leaving the dealership service department for another issue, I was driving around and suddenly started receiving this error message and random "BRAKE" messages from the FCW system. I pulled over to clean the radar sensor and noticed the plastic square molding with the round cutout around the radar sensor was no longer on the truck. I'm not sure if it was removed and never put back on by the service tech, or it popped off by itself.

By the time I realized what was wrong, the service department was already closed. I'm assuming the missing piece is causing the error messages. I'll update this post when I get a chance to go back to the dealership again. Just figured I'd share with you guys if you ever come across this.

Interesting, Please post a picture of that piece missing.

Thanks!

EdwinDiaz 06-24-2013 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 845187)

Interesting, Please post a picture of that piece missing.

Thanks!

Sorry it took so long to reply, I was away on vacation. The first picture is what it is supposed to look like. The second picture shows the missing piece on my truck. I brought it to the service department today and they have to order the part. They "strongly feel" the missing cover is causing all of the error messages. I'll post the results when the part comes in.

Tony407 06-25-2013 01:44 AM

I seem to recall someone else on the forum also losing this piece.

Tony

curio 06-25-2013 03:42 AM

Ainīt the sensor sitting a liitelbit low within its frame? Maybe the malfunction is due to a misalignement...

Good luck

Achim

Willx 06-25-2013 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwinDiaz (Post 847666)
Sorry it took so long to reply, I was away on vacation. The first picture is what it is supposed to look like. The second picture shows the missing piece on my truck. I brought it to the service department today and they have to order the part. They "strongly feel" the missing cover is causing all of the error messages. I'll post the results when the part comes in.

Yes the alignment is off and the piece provides a reference angle for the view of the sensor. They are correct, it is very likely this is the cause.

As another poster noted, I wonder if this has happened before?

edcard 09-10-2013 07:05 PM

Thanks Edwin! I had the same error messages, and after reading your post I remembered that a couple of days ago I brushed against something when entering my garage. I went to take a look and sure enough the part was missing from my truck as well. I ended up finding the molding next to a cooler.

EdwinDiaz 09-10-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edcard (Post 891201)
Thanks Edwin! I had the same error messages, and after reading your post I remembered that a couple of days ago I brushed against something when entering my garage. I went to take a look and sure enough the part was missing from my truck as well. I ended up finding the molding next to a cooler.

Glad the post helped you! Take care.

edcard 09-11-2013 11:28 PM

Unfortunately I'm still getting the error message, even after putting the molding back on and wiping off the sensor.

Jim_in_PA 09-12-2013 08:35 AM

Maybe whatever caused the shroud to come off also damaged the sensor?

EdwinDiaz 09-12-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edcard (Post 891940)
Unfortunately I'm still getting the error message, even after putting the molding back on and wiping off the sensor.

When that piece fell off of my truck, I brought it back to the dealership. The dealership stated the bracket holding the radar sensor was damaged, causing the radar sensor to move and become misaligned. It appears since the radar sensor bracket was broken, the moving of the sensor popped the plastic molding off of the truck. Sorry to say, but it took a few weeks for the part to come in and a day or so aligning the sensor. Good luck.

68camaro 09-15-2013 06:41 AM

My Cruise and ACC workes fine...EXCEPT....when I hit "resume" after braking, then I get the "ACC/FCW needs service warning". I just needed to shut cruise off then restart and all was well.

Yesterday I looked at the square molding referenced here and sure enough the top part was protruding about to fall off. I put back in place and tested on interstate and sure enough, problem went away.

Kudos to this sight and thread for helping me avoid trip to dealer for such an easy fix.

Chuck