Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   EVIC and MPG with pic (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/evic-and-mpg-with-pic-61706.html)

Chunderboy 06-20-2013 09:43 AM

EVIC and MPG with pic

1 Attachment(s)
So, I was driving the other day when the gas light came on. I was curious to see what the EVIC would show with the gas light on and also to see if it would coincide with standard "30 miles till empty" (DTE), but to my dismay, the DTE showed up blank. Anyone else ever see this before?

eibyer 06-20-2013 10:09 AM

Re: EVIC and MPG with pic

I believe once it determines that DTE is less than 30 miles, it will just show that Low Fuel until you fill up or you run out of gas.

Vanguard 06-20-2013 10:10 AM

My 98 Laredo went all the way down to 0. I remember it showing 2 miles DTE and was crapping my pants sitting in traffic a few lights away from the gas station.

Specx 06-20-2013 10:12 AM

Same thing happens on the 14 models. Sucks since my Ram will go all the way to 0 and is pretty damn accurate allowing me to stretch the time between fillings if necessary.

Chunderboy 06-20-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Specx (Post 845196)
Same thing happens on the 14 models. Sucks since my Ram will go all the way to 0 and is pretty damn accurate allowing me to stretch the time between fillings if necessary.

Yea... On all my other cars (jeeps included), it would show a countdown to zero as well. Strange how you're just supposed to guess once the light comes on.

suzieque 06-20-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eibyer (Post 845194)
I believe once it determines that DTE is less than 30 miles, it will just show that Low Fuel until you fill up or you run out of gas.

this is how my WK works as well.

Chunderboy 06-20-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzieque (Post 845199)
this is how my WK works as well.

I just found it odd. Well, I learned something new today then.. It was by design. Oh Jeep

eibyer 06-20-2013 10:34 AM

Probably to discourage folks who like to push the envelope and end up clogging the fuel lines with crap from the bottom of the tank. I am guilty ;)

Chunderboy 06-20-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eibyer (Post 845207)
Probably to discourage folks who like to push the envelope and end up clogging the fuel lines with crap from the bottom of the tank. I am guilty ;)

Guilty as charged. Well, you brought up an other interesting topic... Any particular fuel line/tank cleaner you recommend? I remember reading a while ago that it wasn't good to use that kind of product, but then again, I have never had any problems.

Prestone 06-20-2013 11:18 AM

I think I read a post some where recently that some one ran their jeep down to 0 dte and there was still almost 2 gallons in the tank still. So at 30 miles till empty I bet there is between 3 and 5 gallons in the tank still

Chunderboy 06-20-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestone (Post 845221)
I think I read a post some where recently that some one ran their jeep down to 0 dte and there was still almost 2 gallons in the tank still. So at 30 miles till empty I bet there is between 3 and 5 gallons in the tank still

Comforting, but still, my 1998 limited was accurate as shit when it came to dte.. Why the guess game with a car 15 years newer?

Specx 06-20-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prestone (Post 845221)

Ok my WK2, with the light on I ran it an additional 20+ miles before refueling and after filling up, I was only able to squeeze 22 gallons in the tank. I think the tank size is 25 gallons meaning there's still a good amount of fuel in there, so I don't panic as much driving a bit with the light on.