Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   High intake air filter system (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/high-intake-air-filter-system-61731.html)

Watcher58 06-20-2013 08:21 PM

High intake air filter system

Perhaps most of u guys will think "well duhh-who doesn't know that":lol: but
I made an interesting discovery. I have an Airaid Synthamax system. Out of pure ignorance the driving factor for my choice was that you can just wash the air filter. I had a Brute Force system on my V-10 Excursion and it saddens me to think of all the missed power and mpg I missed.
I bought A Spectre filter-high flow disposable filter to put on when I needed to wash the regular Synthamax filter--it takes a long time for any washable filter to dry despite what instructions might imply. Usually about 3 days has been my experience. Anyway, I put on the Spectre filter and took off on my 30 mile one way work commute. I was shocked!:eek: The Overland had a noticeable increase in power. It also picked up 2 mpg. At 80 mph on cruise with the interceptor tuner, I am now getting 19.7 mpg from the Hemi.
I smacked myself on the forehead. The oiled filter was letting in a larger amount of air. I never thought to even consider that concept. I just wanted a washable filter. It was one of those "you dumbass!!" moments

Ergo, for those who knew all of this--you probably got a chuckle out of it.:lol: For those who did not, I would suggest this fact as a major consideration in choosing a cold air induction system.:thumbsup:

padgett 06-21-2013 09:42 AM

Re: High intake air filter system

All you need to do is to monitor the MAP vs throttle position to see any differences. Must admit am surprised you see a difference at cruise.

PLA is throttle position.

http://padgett.performanceresearch.u...p/jeepdash.jpg

Watcher58 06-23-2013 09:10 PM

Did 140 mile trip today-driving 80 mph (long open road in MT) and got 19.9 mpg.
BTW-what kind of display/monitor is that?????????:eek:

padgett 06-24-2013 07:30 AM

10" Android Tablet running the Torque app and linked to an OBD-II bluetooth dongle. Tablet is velcroed to the dash.

RUSH - 2112 06-24-2013 04:21 PM

Hey Padgett, I'm also very interested in getting that IAT as low as practical. I have OBDwiz and wifi and have already done some data logging(I guess) for stock system. My Volant CAI should be here tomorrow.

Do you know where the ambient and intake air temp sensors are located?

padgett 06-24-2013 08:48 PM

I have a Pentastar but suspect the IAT is in the "hose" near the throttle body on a Hemi also. OAT is probably in front of the radiator support.

GCLimited 06-27-2013 08:08 AM

I have a high intake cold air system on my 2014 GC V6 Limited too, and it only cost me about 50 bucks...the stock air box with a drop-in aFe dry air filter.

:D

I put about 36 miles of rush hour traffic on my Jeep per day (50% highway / 50% back roads), and since adding this aFe dry drop-in air filter, I've averaged 21 mpg...with only about 2000 miles on the odometer.

loveracing1988 06-27-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GCLimited (Post 849057)
I have a high intake cold air system on my 2014 GC V6 Limited too, and it only cost me about 50 bucks...the stock air box with a drop-in aFe dry air filter.

:D

I put about 36 miles of rush hour traffic on my Jeep per day (50% highway / 50% back roads), and since adding this aFe dry drop-in air filter, I've averaged 21 mpg...with only about 2000 miles on the odometer.

My wife in every day driving back and forth to work was getting 20 mpg's. I put a K&N drop in filter in and she is now getting 22 mpg's. I know it isn't a placebo effect because she still doesn't know she has it! So far I'm very pleased with it though, $42 shipped on amazon.

Captain_Kirk 06-28-2013 02:33 PM

would you guys be able to post some links to the ones you bought?

GCLimited 06-29-2013 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain_Kirk (Post 849888)

would you guys be able to post some links to the ones you bought?

Here you go...

aFe Direct-Fit Pro Dry S Performance Air Filter AFE Air Filter AFE31-10218

Matterhorn 06-29-2013 07:53 AM

What are the benefits of an oiled over dry filter with the CAI?

Captain_Kirk 06-29-2013 12:26 PM

Here's a K&N from Amazon for $40. Thinking about going with this one:

K&N 33-2457 High Performance Replacement Air Filter for 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee/Dodge Durango 3.6L V6/5.7L V8 : Amazon.com : Automotive