Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Missing a rubber seal under the hood? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/missing-a-rubber-seal-under-the-hood-61755.html)

GCL2014 06-21-2013 11:03 AM

Missing a rubber seal under the hood?

Last night when I was pulling the F60 fuse to sort out the tranny smoothness, I noticed that only the the driver's side has a seal towards the front of the hood when you have it open. The seal looks like it is there to keep water out of the headlight assembly?

Can anyone tell me if both sides are supposed to have a rubber seal? I am thinking that the passenger side was not installed at the factory.

Thanks!

not_too_shabby 06-21-2013 12:15 PM

I noticed this too. I called the dealer and they said it is only for one side. If you notice the side that has the seal also has the air intake. They said that seal it is for air flow. I even called parts and he confirmed. The V8 may have it on both sides. Not sure.

jerryw1000 06-21-2013 01:00 PM

Re: Missing a rubber seal under the hood?

Same question came up back in '11. The seal is only on the driver's side and it's to keep snow and water out of the air intake. The '12s and up also have a Styrofoam piece that stuck on there that runs from the right corner or the air intake to the seal. The '11s do not have that.

2014GC 06-25-2013 08:58 PM

I went to the dealer to order this piece for my 2014 and the parts book say on side only.

ledcat 06-26-2013 09:16 PM

I had the same question about a week ago. Seems to come up all the time. This has been the 3rd post in 2 weeks about this issue. I wonder how many times the service dept. has been asked that question. Seems they should just put it on, so it looks right, and stop us all from wondering WTF.

bill_de 06-27-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledcat (Post 848835)
I had the same question about a week ago. Seems to come up all the time. This has been the 3rd post in 2 weeks about this issue. I wonder how many times the service dept. has been asked that question. Seems they should just put it on, so it looks right, and stop us all from wondering WTF.

I think its a small % of people that ask about it. My guess is that most folks never open the hood. :)

Papaya205 07-22-2013 01:42 PM

We got our 2014 GC on Saturday. Sunday morning back to the dealer asking if I am missing something. The manager didn't know if the factory forgot to put it on. My son checked on a white Limited and we figured all out that it has to look that "wrong way".
The manager thought first that I got a "refurbished" car. Because the right back passenger door has a real bad factory paint job (primer shows on the front inside and on the edges of that door.) But we checked on the Limited the same bad paint job. So we get it booked in for re-painting. And that on a brand new car!

jacko15 07-22-2013 02:17 PM

Sorry to hear about your paint job, hope your dealer has a first class paint shop. About the rubber seal, more here: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/single...ood-63133.html

Papaya205 07-31-2013 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So finally we got the answer from Jeep/ Chrysler. Hood and door are getting re-painted on warranty. If someone has a white 2014 GC, please checkout your factory paint on the doors ( specially the door edges, if the white paint covers the whole door.) We checked 3 on the dealers lot and all had this issues! Hood issue: "scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood what looks like they mechanics in the factory (or a robot? ) scratching the paint and primer off to the blank metal! We checked 5 2014 GC doesn't matter what color and all of them have this marks under the hood.

Maxsteele2014 08-10-2013 08:20 AM

That's why I love this forum! I noticed this also and was ready to go to the dealer and show them. Looking at it now it does make sense why the seal is only on the drivers side.

wk2gp 08-11-2013 09:19 AM

:) QUOTE=Papaya205;867536]So finally we got the answer from Jeep/ Chrysler. Hood and door are getting re-painted on warranty. If someone has a white 2014 GC, please checkout your factory paint on the doors ( specially the door edges, if the white paint covers the whole door.) We checked 3 on the dealers lot and all had this issues! Hood issue: "scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood what looks like they mechanics in the factory (or a robot? ) scratching the paint and primer off to the blank metal! We checked 5 2014 GC doesn't matter what color and all of them have this marks under the hood.[/QUOTE]

Hood issue:
"scratch-marks" left and right inside the hood
During assembly the hood is held up using two gas struts, see picture below
http://www.allpar.com/photos/plants/JNAP/2011/18.jpg

Scottina06 08-11-2013 09:50 AM

come on guys.....I can see painting the exterior door...BUT under the hood? Just have them touch it up. Sometimes less is better.