Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Tire question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/tire-question-61792.html)

jp467 06-21-2013 10:27 PM

Tire question
 
I was washing the Jeep today and I noticed that when I ran my hand over the outer tread on the front tires it felt like they were starting to feather or cup. The inside still felt smooth as did the rear tires. Its just both front on the outer tread blocks. I have about 3400 miles on it now and just wondering what would cause this and if any other have noticed it?

Bucky 06-22-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Tire question
 
Did you check the tire pressure?

Sounds like maybe those tires may be a bit low on pressure which would cause accelerated wear to the outer part of the tread.

loveracing1988 06-22-2013 10:42 AM

My wife's if doing the same thing at the same miles, she has Fortera's though, I don't know if you have those or the Michelins. I have the tire pressure set to 40psi on hers so that wouldn't be causing it. I'm just hoping they last until 5000 miles until the tires get rotated. I kind of hope they don't last that long because I want something more aggressive, although the prospect of spending $1000 on tires is not something I am looking forward to...

jp467 06-22-2013 12:15 PM

Re: Tire question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by loveracing1988 (Post 846424)
My wife's if doing the same thing at the same miles, she has Fortera's though, I don't know if you have those or the Michelins. I have the tire pressure set to 40psi on hers so that wouldn't be causing it. I'm just hoping they last until 5000 miles until the tires get rotated. I kind of hope they don't last that long because I want something more aggressive, although the prospect of spending $1000 on tires is not something I am looking forward to...

Yes I also have the 20" Fortera's and the air pressure is also up around 40. Low air pressure would cause the tires to wear on both edges. What I am seeing is just feathering on the outer edge.

loveracing1988 06-22-2013 12:20 PM

Re: Tire question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 846453)
Yes I also have the 20" Fortera's and the air pressure is also up around 40. Low air pressure would cause the tires to wear on both edges. What I am seeing is just feathering on the outer edge.

Generally this is cause by bad ball joints or bad shocks, but on a brand new vehicle I'm guessing that is just a normal thing with these tires.

Todd3.6 06-22-2013 02:37 PM

Re: Tire question
 
I've noticed the same thing, but I'm guessing mine is from going through on/off ramps at higher speeds. Had the same problem/fun with my Legacy.

geox19 06-22-2013 04:34 PM

My tire pressure is at 36 cold and goes to 38 when they warm up 2014 overland 20 inch wheels should I boost the pressure to 40 if so why, I'm assuming for Better mpg?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BobsWK2 06-22-2013 06:06 PM

Re: Tire question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by geox19 (Post 846550)
My tire pressure is at 36 cold and goes to 38 when they warm up 2014 overland 20 inch wheels should I boost the pressure to 40 if so why, I'm assuming for Better mpg?

Also a little better steering response along with a firmer ride. But you may not notice any difference.

rich mac 06-22-2013 06:27 PM

Re: Tire question
 
I have about 11,800 miles on my 20" Forteras (2011 Overland). I have slight feathering on the outside of all four tires. I rotated at 5k miles, with about 80% in town driving. The steering seems good and I keep inflated to 36 psi. IF the wear rate stays the same, I expect to get well over 50K on the tires.

geox19 06-22-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich mac (Post 846587)
I have about 11,800 miles on my 20" Forteras (2011 Overland). I have slight feathering on the outside of all four tires. I rotated at 5k miles, with about 80% in town driving. The steering seems good and I keep inflated to 36 psi. IF the wear rate stays the same, I expect to get well over 50K on the tires.

I have 1k miles on mine but I'd like to avoid the feathering If possible thinking about upping air pressure to avoid the feathering not sure it would help though?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BobsWK2 06-22-2013 06:54 PM

Re: Tire question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by geox19 (Post 846592)
I have 1k miles on mine but I'd like to avoid the feathering If possible thinking about upping air pressure to avoid the feathering not sure it would help though?

If your toe alignment is out, raising the air pressure won't help.

geox19 06-22-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobsWK2 (Post 846604)
If your toe alignment is out, raising the air pressure won't help.

I hope it's not out 2014 just hit 1k miles

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community