Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Found out why our tinted tail lights warp. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/found-out-why-our-tinted-tail-lights-warp-6180.html)

Vinnysrt8 02-02-2010 10:43 PM

Found out why our tinted tail lights warp.

Well i was at my friends body shop and i asked why does the jeep tail lights warp when there tinted he said its from the reverse bulb if u keep it in reverse for a while it gets so hot that it happens he also said any year jeep has the same problem he get customers coming in complaining about them all the time so now he tells them before he does it. Luckily mine didnt warp yet so im still good so dont keep it in reverse to long and u will have no problem.

Megatron 02-02-2010 10:45 PM

Re: Found out why our tinted tail lights warp.

Hm interesting.

Thanks vinny.

LTrainGC 02-02-2010 10:52 PM

LED reverse bulbs FTW

BillsHoe 02-02-2010 10:53 PM

I have L.E.D. reverse bulbs and my tails are warping

Megatron 02-02-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 143951)
LED reverse bulbs FTW

Do I need anything else, or do I just plug them in. I forgot I got a free set from nate.

LTrainGC 02-02-2010 10:56 PM

I just plugged them in.

I also have the LED tails.

tig488 02-03-2010 12:38 AM

i just want to get mine tinted but it isnt working out too well.

Robert Palmer 02-03-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnysrt8 (Post 143941)
Well i was at my friends body shop and i asked why does the jeep tail lights warp when there tinted he said its from the reverse bulb if u keep it in reverse for a while it gets so hot that it happens he also said any year jeep has the same problem he get customers coming in complaining about them all the time so now he tells them before he does it. Luckily mine didnt warp yet so im still good so dont keep it in reverse to long and u will have no problem.

No way Vinny. Have you ever seen a set of tailights warp at the reverse bulb? I know I havent.

BOYCHIKS 02-03-2010 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis Presley (Post 143995)
No way Vinny. Have you ever seen a set of tailights warp at the reverse bulb? I know I havent.

Me eitherrr :confused:

Joe in PA 02-03-2010 12:55 AM

:metoo:

Are folks really spending a lot of time driving or idling in reverse? I can't think of the last time I left my tranny in reverse for more than 10 or 15sec.

blackpepper 02-03-2010 05:21 AM

Vinny look at the tails they're warping higher up on the housing.. not down in the reverse area.. besides.. tons of people leave the reverse untinted and they still warp.

Are the tails baked to dry and could too hight of a temp. cause the warping? If so, I think there's a reaction in the plastic at some point in the tinting process that changes its chemical structure, leading it to failure over time.

White WK Swagga 02-03-2010 09:13 AM

Paul those aren't LED's they're just bright white halogen bulbs. My tails are slightly warped but not near the reverse bulbs. My belief is that we all know a darker surface gets hotter in the sun than a lighter color surface. With a darker surface and add the possible driving in the daytime with tail lights on generates more heat than the materials used can handle. I'm sure there are higher grades of plastics that would stand up just jeep didn't have tinting the tail lights in mind when they designed the light housing.