Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   2014 GC Tailgate Issues (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/2014-gc-tailgate-issues-61870.html)

Shawnyc 06-23-2013 09:12 PM

2014 GC Tailgate Issues

Anyone else having trouble with the Lift-gate on their 2014. From time to time the power lift-gate does not work, this is creating huge problem as it won't latch when it's closed manually. I have already had the latch replaced and that didn't cure it. Took it to a second dealer and they say I need a new latch which I am fairly sure is not the problem.

About to tell the Dealer to keep it.

rjbradner 07-12-2013 10:51 AM

Re: 2014 GC Tailgate Issues

YES!!! My wife unloaded some flowers in the back, closed the Tailgate Lift as she has done on our last 3 Grand Cherokees...MANUALLY.

She then drove around to the front attached garage and pulled in slowly and carefully. Somehow the Liftgate was UP, NO WARNING INDICATORS and the liftgate auto down did NOT work. The back window shattered into thousands of shards when the liftgate came in contact with the house/garage door.

We have owned 4 Jeeps: the Cherokee Chief in 1984, Grand Cherokees 1994, 2004 and 2014. The Liftgate on the new one FAILED to latch with Manual Operation and NO Warning Indicator Sounded.

We LOVE the rest of the car. Right now, we are looking at $900 to repair the glass and perhaps some issues with the rear windshield wiper.

Depending upon how the Dealer responds, we may or may not get our attorney involved. Hopefully, they will own up to this issue and make it right.

bill_de 07-12-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjbradner (Post 857122)
YES!!! My wife unloaded some flowers in the back, closed the Tailgate Lift as she has done on our last 3 Grand Cherokees...MANUALLY.

She then drove around to the front attached garage and pulled in slowly and carefully. Somehow the Liftgate was UP, NO WARNING INDICATORS and the liftgate auto down did NOT work. The back window shattered into thousands of shards when the liftgate came in contact with the house/garage door.

We have owned 4 Jeeps: the Cherokee Chief in 1984, Grand Cherokees 1994, 2004 and 2014. The Liftgate on the new one FAILED to latch with Manual Operation and NmjO Warning Indicator Sounded.

We LOVE the rest of the car. Right now, we are looking at $900 to repair the glass and perhaps some issues with the rear windshield wiper.

Depending upon how the Dealer responds, we may or may not get our attorney involved. Hopefully, they will own up to this issue and make it right.

If the dealer/Jeep doesn't agree to fix it, thinking your wife maybe left it open, save yourself a headache. Let you insurance company pay for the glass, and they can attempt to recover from Chrysler.

It is a tough call, because it could be that your wife didn't close it far enough, or should have verified that it had actually engaged.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but you pay your insurance to cover your loss. Why not let them get involved?

---

rjbradner 07-12-2013 11:48 AM

Going after Jeep/Dealer. My wife of 30 years is a solid citizen who's drug of choice is Excedrin. The problem is not with my Insurance company.

The Problem is with a faulty system inherent in the new Grand Cherokee: Manual Close Latch did not lock properly and the Tailgate Warning Indicator can't hold a candle to the one on the 2004 model we traded in.

I have a superior record in helping the right firm who dutifully owns the problem to take responsibility. This is no exception.

UPDATE: The Jeep Dealer will repair and replace with no charge to us. They stand by their products. We are more than thrilled! This is our 4th Jeep and God Willing, we will purchase another in 10, 20 & 30 years.

A tip of the Hat and Kudos to Brunswick Auto Mart at I71 and SR303 in Ohio. Superb Customer Service, Care and Professionalism.