Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Tie Rod Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/tie-rod-problems-61878.html)

arshull 06-24-2013 07:59 AM

Tie Rod Problems

Trying to align my front end on my 04 WJ and can not get the Tie Rod to turn. Soaked in oil several times, loosed all bolts, tried vice grips & pipe wrench with extension bar and also tried only turning the Tie Rod ends. Nothing is budging. Any suggestions? Should I just take it for an alignment at a shop at this point?

Thanks in advance!

dBeanz G3 modded, twisted and tweaked i747

JeepMe 06-24-2013 08:46 PM

Re: Tie Rod Problems

We just did that on our buddy's Jeep and it was similar. It took a pipe wrench and a cheater bar to get it to move. Pulling up on the cheater bar caused the front end of the Jeep to raise about 1.5" before it would twist.

If you absolutely cannot get it to move, I'm not even sure I would take it some place (depends on the cost). Around here most shops want $80-$100 for an alignment. A new tie rod is around $60-$70 and each end is about $20. So for a bit over $100, you could get a new tie rod and ends and replace the whole thing.

arshull 06-25-2013 05:12 PM

Were you able to get the pipe wrench to hold its grip? The whole tie Rod is round so there's no where to get a firm grip like on a nut or hex angle. Am I missing something?

JeepMe 06-25-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arshull (Post 848064)
Were you able to get the pipe wrench to hold its grip? The whole tie Rod is round so there's no where to get a firm grip like on a nut or hex angle. Am I missing something?

Yeah, the pipe wrench bit into the tie rod and held it's grip just fine. To be clear, I'm talking about a pipe wrench like this:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ps0fecab9b.jpg

You can see the teeth on that and they dig into the tie rod. These are designed to grip round pipes and turn them. If you were using a wrench like this and it wouldn't grip, flip it over. They only grip in one direction. I used some black spray paint to paint the tie rod where the teeth dug in and exposed bare metal.

arshull 06-25-2013 06:43 PM

Yep, that's similar to what I was using too. Can't believe this thing is so hard to turn. Do alignment shops have some special process they use? They would get 2 cars done a day if they were this difficult. Ugh. Sorry, just frustrated. I do appreciate your help!

JeepMe 06-25-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arshull (Post 848087)
Yep, that's similar to what I was using too. Can't believe this thing is so hard to turn. Do alignment shops have some special process they use? They would get 2 cars done a day if they were this difficult. Ugh. Sorry, just frustrated. I do appreciate your help!

I don't have a clue what alignment shops use. My buddies Jeep was difficult, but nothing a cheater bar couldn't solve. Personally, if the pipe wrench wouldn't work I would start comparing the cost of new tie rod + ends vs an alignment.

Shift.91 07-27-2013 05:13 PM

Even with a new tie rod + ends, you still are gonna need an alignment. The pipe wrench should work just make sure you are gripping the tie rod so that the wrench is opening it along the slit. If you know what I mean. There is a machined slot that you need to grab onto that allows the metal to expand slightly when you turn it. If you are grabbing the bar and "closing" the slot then it will not turn.

Hotrod 11-13-2013 09:48 AM

It's time to pull out the smoke wrench (torch)