Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Water pump Geyser (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/water-pump-geyser-61883.html)

BuckeyeSRT 06-24-2013 09:48 AM

Water pump Geyser

About to head out on a road trip Friday. I stopped at the store to get some stuff and I saw a puddle under my front tire. Opened the hood and saw a steady stream coming out of just under the water pump pulley. Crap:mad:
Drove home (temp did not exceed 224). Dealer towed and sure enough water pump gone. Anyone have a water pump go on the 5.7? This is my second Hemi and first water pump to go (45,000 miles). I was worried about the serpentine belt damage but service guy said it did not get enough coolant on it to worry about it....still worried about it.

BuckeyeSRT 06-25-2013 07:34 AM

Re: Water pump Geyser

No one has had to replace a water pump on the Hemi?

jgc4ever 11-06-2013 09:12 PM

I am having my water pump replaced. I took it to the dealer on Saturday because of leaking antifreeze. Found a couple of small puddles of antifreeze on my garage floor Friday when changing the oil. Shield had caught some antifreeze and there was dry white streaks and wet pink-orange anti-freeze on the oil pan. The dealer replaced the thermostat housing. Today when I came back to work from lunch soon before I was parking there was smoking rolling out from under the hood and a smoky odor. Thought it was on fire. Wetness everywhere around the overflow canister (where you fill the coolant). The part (water pump) is not in and I have to leave my Jeep at the dealer (got it towed there) until Monday. :( I have 24,000 miles on my 2012 Grand Cherokee with 5.7L V8 Hemi.

BuckeyeSRT 11-08-2013 08:12 AM

I had to have mine towed as well. Have them inspect the serpentine belt

jgc4ever 11-08-2013 08:14 AM

OK, I will. Thanks.

JMP8562 11-10-2013 10:31 AM

Yes, I had mine replaced around 45000mi. noticed when i had my heater on it would blow cool air then get hot again :confused: Poped the hood and noticed the overfow jug was low i park it the same place in the garage and work no drips So i added a LiL water about a week later samething blowing cool, checked around under the hood and sure enough, there was a dried up spot from the weep hole. brought it to the dealer and they replace it. They said they had about 3 in the past 6 months.

JMP8562 11-14-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMP8562 (Post 927662)
Yes, I had mine replaced around 45000mi. noticed when i had my heater on it would blow cool air then get hot again :confused: Poped the hood and noticed the overfow jug was low i park it the same place in the garage and work no drips So i added a LiL water about a week later samething blowing cool, checked around under the hood and sure enough, there was a dried up spot from the weep hole. brought it to the dealer and they replace it. They said they had about 3 in the past 6 months.

Correction to my posting, looked at the service ticket and I was around 25000mi :o BUT lastnight I was changing the Oil and found that I have the samething again !!! A leak from the Weep hole.. I guess it could be worse,,, it could have been a even 50000mi instead of the 53000mi I have now. so I got an extra 3000mi out of this Pump :lol: Now lets see how long PUMP #3 lasts :(

JMP8562 11-22-2013 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMP8562 (Post 930412)
Correction to my posting, looked at the service ticket and I was around 25000mi :o BUT lastnight I was changing the Oil and found that I have the samething again !!! A leak from the Weep hole.. I guess it could be worse,,, it could have been a even 50000mi instead of the 53000mi I have now. so I got an extra 3000mi out of this Pump :lol: Now lets see how long PUMP #3 lasts :(

Well dropped mine off today for Pump replacement and the Pumps are on back order :mad: Am I the only one with one of them freak things ? I asked the dealer to take a Good look at it and make sure there is no tools stuck in it kinda like a DR. forgetting something inside someone :lol: :lol:

Setoutguy 11-22-2013 04:25 PM

I hear from club members with JKs that they are eating water pumps with the 3.6l. I havent heard about any 3.6l water pumps going on GC though.

Omar

JMP8562 11-24-2013 02:50 PM

Called them back saturday for a follow up on his search for one, he said there are NONE in the system and not sure when they will get one.. WTH does that mean. It could be up to 6 week or more! I had to look around and see if there was a hidden camera and they were filming my response. I politely replied I have the Maxi care ext warranty and they only allow 5 days for rental. I had a hard time with this so i called chrysler and had them look into this and start a case/investigation due to me going on my 3rd pump in 50000mi. now just waiting to hear back from them:sleepy: we had a toys for tots Jeep run in chicago today had to cancel BC I couldnt do it in a chrysler 200 :) Not complaining just a LiL disappointed with them Not having any pumps available and posting to help the next person who has the same issues.

11Hemi 11-25-2013 02:35 PM

I had the water pump replaced on mine at 42k under warranty a couple weeks ago. I had the same issue you are talking about with availability. I was actually upset with it, I went to another dealer and talked to the parts department. The pump is on national backorder, but the other dealer explained something to me. Chrysler is changing the part numbers on the waterpump. The one that is on national backorder is a pump with no core charge and no expectation of being returned to the manufacturer for rebuild. There is the new part number that has a core charge for the faulty pump that is on the shelves in the distribution centers. Called the original dealer with this info and we had the pump in a few days. HTH

JMP8562 11-25-2013 07:23 PM

11 HEMI Great info and thanks for sharing :thumbsup: