Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Stock GY Fortera 20" > Expectations (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/stock-gy-fortera-20-expectations-61892.html)

moosehead 06-24-2013 01:41 PM

Stock GY Fortera 20" > Expectations

It is popular to hate on the OEM 20" GY's, with the most vehement complaints being poor offroad and snow handling. I would agree that in either situatuon it would be like bringing a knife to a gunfight, and have an 18" winter/trail wheel and tire setup for these uses. I was also looking forward to a new 20" set of Terra Graps or Firestone Dest ST's, or another set of sneakers about now.

All that said, these GY's have taken all conditions reasonably well, including fire roads, heavy towing, and light to moderate snow, and have been excellent highway treads under spirited driving in the high alpine. Despite the above, my OEM set is going over 30k miles with plenty of tread showing.

Color me pleasantly surprised. Flame away.

Willx 06-24-2013 02:17 PM

Re: Stock GY Fortera 20" > Expectations

There are certainly worse tires out there, I totally agree. But given the option at the beginning I would have picker differently.

mhconley 06-24-2013 02:46 PM

Being in southwest Florida I would have loved the option of choosing a set of three season or summer tires. The one good thing is they'll be cheap to replace.

Martin

turbospartan 06-24-2013 04:16 PM

I actually agree with you. I came from an Audi A4 (quattro) with dedicated snow tires, and I was expecting these Fortera's to be terrible in the mountains during winter based on the reviews here.

Once I actually got out there (plus snow mode) - I seriously was wondering if I didn't have the Fortera's. They weren't the best tire I've ever driven, but hardly anything worth scrapping immediately.

My only complaint now is that I get the 60mph vibration and that when I have taken these off-road, I feel that the sidewalls are literally non-existent as I can see the shape of the rock under the tires.

I want to switch to some Nitto Terra Grapplers most likely, but its not like the Fortera's have me scared to drive, in any condition.

Tony407 06-26-2013 12:04 AM

These 265/50-20s on our Jeeps are only $122 each on Tirerack. That's one of the cheapest truck/SUV tires I've seen in a while, especially for a 20.

EDIT- To clarify, I only have about 700 miles on my Jeep but so far I'm really loving the tires.

Tony

Tazz 06-26-2013 12:51 AM

The tire is nowhere as bad as it is made out to be, at least the batch that I have. Sure, its not gonna be as good as a situation specific tire, but its pretty good for what is supposed to do and fairly cost efficient to boot.

Willx 06-26-2013 10:14 AM

It is a "decent" tire. There isn't anything special about them. They get "decent" tread life but they also seem to have issues more than a "good" tire.

It wasn't an awful choice by Chrysler to put these on but not a fantastic one either is all I was getting at. I see a fair bit of warranty concerns with them but not a huge amount. Certainly not as many as the Journey tires.

ms.annthrope 06-26-2013 04:15 PM

While they are "decent" or at least somewhat round, black, and a hole in the middle, they are not what I would expect on a top trim Overland or Summit costing us $46-$50! They belong on a base model. Wifezilla's Laredo X has Michelin Latitudes, a much higher grade all season, or at least 3/4 season tire, with good handling, comfortable ride and rain competent tire. Overland or Summit ought to have at a minimum Michelin's MS2. Now the oxymoron is a vehicle whose every advertised fiber and being is to be a luxo 4x4 go anywhere do anything vehicle but shod with flimsy go somewhere so long as it is smooth and dry is just downright mind boggling. I can understand using quiet riding tires as the majority of us won't go off road but good Lord give us tires that befits a car of this price tag.

OK, my Bad-year Fart-eras were just fine. I was not going to take my chances with them so I just got rid of them at 2,300 miles for Toyo A/T IIs and could not be happier. Now I can drive in the rain, snow, dirt, or take a side trip around to see Monument Valley without worrying about the Bad-years popping like a toy balloon.

ajs800 07-03-2013 10:42 AM

I agree with the posts but I'm approaching 30k as well and while they have decent tread remaining, they have always had vibration issues. I have had them balanced many times and two different tire shops have stated over the past 18mos that two of them have two heavy spots and will never be 100% smooth. They stated that they would never install a new tire with this type of balance issue. The tires had over 10k miles by the time I looked into it and the dealer was not willing to replace so I decided to run them. If you get a defective free set they are a decent tire for all around use, IMO.

I am considering the destination ST or grapplers for my new set.

BuckeyeSRT 07-04-2013 11:13 AM

I have 45K on mine and they need replaced. I will replace them with the same tire.

xJoshxx 07-06-2013 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 847391)
It is popular to hate on the OEM 20" GY's, with the most vehement complaints being poor offroad and snow handling. I would agree that in either situatuon it would be like bringing a knife to a gunfight, and have an 18" winter/trail wheel and tire setup for these uses. I was also looking forward to a new 20" set of Terra Graps or Firestone Dest ST's, or another set of sneakers about now.

All that said, these GY's have taken all conditions reasonably well, including fire roads, heavy towing, and light to moderate snow, and have been excellent highway treads under spirited driving in the high alpine. Despite the above, my OEM set is going over 30k miles with plenty of tread showing.

Color me pleasantly surprised. Flame away.

Look at the firestone destination le2s I have them top rated on tire rack. Amazing 60k warranty been amazing at everything so far.

comnjeep 07-26-2013 10:28 PM

I too think the Forteras are fine for OEM... However, seeing the actual test runs in the "elk test" where the 2011 or 2012 wk2 failed, and I think 6 times blew a front tire in a swerve (pretty sure on 20inch rims), I want different tires next time because I want more load rating. The Forteras are I think 106, and Grapplers, I think are 111.. I road trip in mountains with 2 kids, full load, roof rack and rear bikes, so I'm near max load. I want a stronger tire. I live in a snow area so the Grapplers probably have it for me... But for all season, I do think the Forteras are decent.