Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   8.4 UConnect Update - Deconstructed (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/8-4-uconnect-update-deconstructed-61898.html)

thekoy 06-24-2013 04:11 PM

8.4 UConnect Update - Deconstructed

3 Attachment(s)
So, the new uconnect update allowed for insight into the new 8.4 systems. Seems they are an embedded linux based (shocker) and has access to a lot of stuff. I was actually surprised that the upgrade wasn't encrypted in some form.

Things I found that were of interest:

SQLite3 databases containing siriusxm data for weather, traffic, fuel, ect

Splash screens for Ferrari, Lancia, Jeep, Dodge, ect.

Screen Calibration info. Makes me think there is a way to get into service/setup mode somehow.

There are files for an anti-theft keypad screen... Might turn out to be something like the Chevy concierge mode that locks out the phone book.

There is a REALLY strange video set to "Evanescence - My Immortal" with a bunch of accidents. Says Streetracing.ru and "Speeding. No one thinkgs big of you."

UI seems to be mostly on standard web platform with HTML, Flash, ect.

Leg work is being done via Lua and shell scripts.

SiLabs seems to be the partner for stereo tuner.

Seems some of the packages used are shared with Toyota's embedded OS.

Sierra Wireless devices used for the 3g connectivity

Partnership with airbiquity.com

I hope to get a stereo (once they are available) for testing. I think there is a lot of room for modding once root'd. I also fear, there is a lot of room for exploitation. Might lead to a cool blackhat talk...

Anyone else find anything else cool?

PS - cool Jeep and SRT files attached. Plus that strange video...

Willx 06-24-2013 04:36 PM

Re: 8.4 UConnect Update - Deconstructed

Very cool!

Not surpised on the shared platform as I knew the source was generated for mutiple vehicle models.

Was surprised on the video content....

kohj1978 06-24-2013 07:12 PM

Funny I noticed that two when looking at the update, I did open several of the files for editing. I have done editing with game files like this. I cant wait for someone to figure them out. I have a new radio being installed next week I should go play with the files.

Willx 06-24-2013 08:32 PM

I have Posted RA4, RA3 on the way soon,

Link to the Software Post: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/uconn...tml#post847525

nnobles 06-24-2013 11:26 PM

That one video is a bit graphic. Have you tried editing any of those interface files yet?

thekoy 06-25-2013 07:59 AM

Yeah, told ya guys that video is creepy... If anyone is offended please let me know and I will remove it. It just made the interesting list b/c, well, you see why...

Thanks Willx for the new files, gonna take a look at those. I also hope to get some time to sit down and fully review the scripts and content to see what kinda mods can be done.

Just form the light reivew, the manifest files and scripts are not doing any serious validation. So it should be possible to swap in custom images and what not. Makes me wish they had a cert/hash check somewhere. Not that it is full proof, but it helps make it fool proof.

What I really want to do is get a full copy of the OS for a full review. From that, i am sure there are some bit flips that can do some cool stuff. The 8.4 systems are extremely integrated into the Jeep. To the point where if it were removed I am not even sure the jeep would run properly.

Willx 06-25-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoy (Post 847799)
Yeah, told ya guys that video is creepy... If anyone is offended please let me know and I will remove it. It just made the interesting list b/c, well, you see why...

Thanks Willx for the new files, gonna take a look at those. I also hope to get some time to sit down and fully review the scripts and content to see what kinda mods can be done.

Just form the light reivew, the manifest files and scripts are not doing any serious validation. So it should be possible to swap in custom images and what not. Makes me wish they had a cert/hash check somewhere. Not that it is full proof, but it helps make it fool proof.

What I really want to do is get a full copy of the OS for a full review. From that, i am sure there are some bit flips that can do some cool stuff. The 8.4 systems are extremely integrated into the Jeep. To the point where if it were removed I am not even sure the jeep would run properly.

There is a mode in the Jeep that allows it to run normally without a functioning and or a corrupted system. Same as factory ship mode. Now whether there is pass through on the buss, dunno.

I don't think there is a problem with the video. It is encased in a public release that others received from Chrysler. I just think it is an interesting easter egg. Someone in development was clearly concerned about distractions while driving and was making a point. Up to the MODS to decide though.

jacko15 06-25-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoy (Post 847799)

That video is the real world. I think every person who drives a vehicle or owns a cellphone should be required to watch it with the people they care most about, and then talk about what they saw with each other. Ask SnoFire, he sees it every day.

SnoFire 06-25-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacko15 (Post 848021)
That video is the real world. I think every person who drives a vehicle or owns a cellphone should be required to watch it with the people they care most about, and then talk about what they saw with each other. Ask SnoFire, he sees it every day.

I don't see it everyday but often enough. I wish they would show that to kids in high school so they can really think about their decisions behind the wheel of any vehicle. Messing around in the car with friends is one thing but you distract the driver or mess around with them while driving, your asking for bad things to happen. It might not happen now, but it can at any moment. I truly don't think some people and most teens think beyond what would life be like if this happened to them (cause of accident or victim) or someone they are very close with. It's videos like this that should remind us of what is at stake when you are in a vehicle. Is yours or someones life worth the driving like an A$$ or really needing to get to your destination 3 seconds faster? Test fate and see who wins, remember it only has to win 1 time for you to feel the affects...

Ok, my public service announcement is over. As a side note, enough life to the fullest even if you drive like a wacko (or like Jacko...lol j/k).

Willx 06-25-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoFire (Post 848047)

I don't see it everyday but often enough. I wish they would show that to kids in high school so they can really think about their decisions behind the wheel of any vehicle. Messing around in the car with friends is one thing but you distract the driver or mess around with them while driving, your asking for bad things to happen. It might not happen now, but it can at any moment. I truly don't think some people and most teens think beyond what would life be like if this happened to them (cause of accident or victim) or someone they are very close with. It's videos like this that should remind us of what is at stake when you are in a vehicle. Is yours or someones life worth the driving like an A$$ or really needing to get to your destination 3 seconds faster? Test fate and see who wins, remember it only has to win 1 time for you to feel the affects...

Ok, my public service announcement is over. As a side note, enough life to the fullest even if you drive like a wacko (or like Jacko...lol j/k).

100% agree with both you and Jacko. While back there was a British ad that had a girl texting and she got in a head on (drifted over the line) and her friend(s)? laid dead beside here and she was there trapped screaming.

Truth isn't always pretty or pleasant.

thekoy 06-25-2013 06:56 PM

So some additional tidbits.

Updates seemed to be rolled up, atm no need to run one and then the next.

Sierra Air Card seems to be running on sprintpcs network.

There is some code to do upgrade validation to verify it before executing. From what I can tell it isn't in use yet.

Sirius information on weather, destinations, movies, ect seems to be setup independently from driver A vs driver B

So far, none of the code is obfuscated. Standard decompilers work just fine on the swf and jar files.

Lots of notes in the scripts :thumbsup:

I think most have already observed this, but the apps require 3g connection.

I haven't solid poof yet, but there are some indications that sensor (diagnostic) information may be getting sent back to Chrysler. Time to put on my tin foil hat.

Lots more interesting bits to explore. If I ever get the time and become brave enough to mod or at least explore it, I will drop something under the new Uconnect Premium Members Area.

Roki303 06-25-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thekoy (Post 848092)
Lots more interesting bits to explore. If I ever get the time and become brave enough to mod or at least explore it, I will drop something under the new Uconnect Premium Members Area.

Where is this UConnect Premium Member area? My membership already paid itself by getting free tracking from Milous and build sheet. Seems like good stuff keep on coming. Best spend couple of $$$ so far.