Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   06 wk clunking and popping in front end (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/06-wk-clunking-and-popping-in-front-end-61984.html)

hammerdown187 06-26-2013 08:12 AM

06 wk clunking and popping in front end

When the truck is cold for about 2 miles and only when I turn the wheel the front end seems like its binding bit the weird part is after about two miles I will stop and don't have a problem till its cold again my first thought was axle but I don't know because it would still do it when warm I need help on this subject

Stc105 12-14-2014 11:51 PM

Re: 06 wk clunking and popping in front end

I have an 05 with a similar problem. I occasionally have the front end feel very tight when turning the wheel like the front wheels are locked in 4 wheel drive. Happens when it's cold only. Then I also get a clunking sound which happens anytime but not all the time. Happens when I turn the wheel all the way to lock. Mostly to the right and sometimes when I hit a bump. Have you had any luck with yours?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Frango100 12-15-2014 05:18 AM

If you have quadra drive, then it can be low on limited slip additive in the differential.
The clunking can come from worn differential bushings.

jdmm08 12-30-2014 10:07 AM

I have the same but seems to be worse when starting in reverse then pops as I transition forward. Like out of parking spot. I have and light for left wheel sensor and service 4 wheel drive light.

Does that sound same as yours?

jdmm08 12-30-2014 10:20 AM

I have the same but seems to be worse when starting in reverse then pops as I transition forward. Like out of parking spot. I have and light for left wheel sensor and service 4 wheel drive light.

Does that sound same as yours?

Stc105 01-10-2015 02:21 PM

Yes very similar I just replaced my front differential fluid. I'm hoping the friction disks are causing the noise. My service four-wheel-drive light was on until I saw on a thread that told me to remove the fuse turn the key on and off and then reinstall the fuse and the four-wheel-drive worked fine ever since. If you can't find a thread let me know I'll try to look it up for you.

jdmm08 01-10-2015 03:35 PM

I added the additive to the royal purple as some suggested with no effects. I finally got the rear wheel speed sensor and replaced it. That seems to have fixed that problem as far as I can tell. The ABS must have been activating for the "resistance" I felt.

I will repost if the condition returns when I get it running again. Not 24 hours later the crank and camshaft sensors failed and I'm waiting on those! I'm starting to feel like the end of a bad joke since I bought this thing lol.

Stc105 01-10-2015 06:05 PM

Do you have the clunking sound at low speeds while turning. Like metal on metal?

Stc105 01-17-2015 10:54 PM

I changed my transfer case oil and it solved the issue. I never would have guesses that horrible clunk could have been coming from the transfer case.