Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Bike (Bicycle) Racks - Tailgate mounting - MY2014 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/bike-bicycle-racks-tailgate-mounting-my2014-62038.html)

JonBed 06-27-2013 02:04 PM

Bike (Bicycle) Racks - Tailgate mounting - MY2014

Has anyone used a tailgate/trunk mounted bike rack on a MY2014 WK2 yet?

Given I just need a bike rack very occasionally, a trunk style rack seems quite economical. My concern is that the new spoiler (also on prior year SRTs) on the 2014 might be in the way of the necessary mounting straps for such a rack.

This is the rack I'm considering: Saris Bones 2 bike rack - Amazon.com: Saris Bones 805 (2-Bike) Trunk Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

torifile 06-27-2013 03:10 PM

Re: Bike (Bicycle) Racks - Tailgate mounting - MY2014

Those things are such a PITA why would you want to subject yourself to one to save $20 over the hitch mounted ones like this Yakima: Amazon.com: Yakima DoubleDown 2-Bike Hitch Mount Rack: Sports & Outdoors

JonBed 06-27-2013 03:27 PM

Fair point... but I live in manhattan so storage space is a major consideration driving my purchase decision for a limited use item like this (literally taking bike out to the beach at beginning of summer, and back to the city at end of summer)

I remember them being a PITA on my mother's old Volvo 850 Turbo back in the early 90's...

Roki303 06-27-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonBed (Post 849258)
Fair point... but I live in manhattan so storage space is a major consideration driving my purchase decision for a limited use item like this (literally taking bike out to the beach at beginning of summer, and back to the city at end of summer)

I remember them being a PITA on my mother's old Volvo 850 Turbo back in the early 90's...

If you are going to use this 2x a year why not just fold down the 2nd row and throw the bike inside?

JonBed 06-28-2013 07:49 AM

Ok so back to the question at hand... I'm interested in hanging bikes off the back of my 2014 with no towing pack.

Has anyone done this and how is fitment with straps over the spoiler? Any issues?

@roki... Clearly that space is being used for people and luggage/baby gear.

JoeD 06-29-2013 08:17 AM

They look like the straps need to go over the rear spoiler to clip on the gate. Not sure they will last as the spoiler seems flimsy. I just did a quick search and there are a few of them that say they fit the GC 2014 so it should work.
Is there any way to just haul them on the roof? Lay them down on a blanket and strap them down to the racks?

AAAA 06-29-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 850254)
Is there any way to just haul them on the roof? Lay them down on a blanket and strap them down to the racks?

Really? :confused:
There are bike racks available which attach to roof systems.:thumbsup:

JoeD 06-29-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAAA (Post 850305)
Really? :confused:
There are bike racks available which attach to roof systems.:thumbsup:

The OP already stated this was for 2 times a year and he doesn't want to spend much money on it. He also has no rear hitch and even if he did those systems are more than he wanted to spend.

AAAA 06-29-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeD (Post 850334)
The OP already stated this was for 2 times a year and he doesn't want to spend much money on it. He also has no rear hitch and even if he did those systems are more than he wanted to spend.

OK. Just don't hit any bumps in the road on your way to the beach!:o

rs153719 01-02-2014 04:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Highly recommend the highlight 3... Locks onto the hitch and has a cable to lock your bikes. Rack attack for $287 shipped

Attachment 33869

Attachment 33870

Attachment 33871

Jmaisch 01-02-2014 11:36 PM

The Hollywood f2 rear mounted bike rack is designed to be used with hatchback spoilers. The top of the rack(the point on the rack which connects to the straps/trunk) sticks up high enough over the spoiler for it not to be an issue. Looks like they also come with multiple connection options.

Personally, I am leaning toward a hitch mounted rack because they look more sturdy, but this looks pretty good, too. Definitely cheaper, considering I would need to install a oem hitch first.

Steiner84 01-03-2014 02:17 PM

I have a Thule 3-bike gate mount leftover from my old GC. I didn't want to pay for a whole new rack, so I contacted Thule about it concerned with the longer spoiler for MY14. I didn't get much out of them, but they did say it was ok. I haven't used it yet, but did strap it on once to see and it seemed ok for the weight. I'd avoid large bumps though.