Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/how-on-earth-to-do-address-search-on-8-4an-62050.html)

lstowell 06-27-2013 05:29 PM

How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
2014 Overland, 8.4 AN.

How on earth has anyone been able to enter a simple street address or city for destination?

If I start to enter a city, it starts blanking out letters on the virtual keyboard and offering me cities I would need a cruise ship to reach.

It can't even manage to locate major cities like Las Vegas, Los Angeles.

And if you try to enter a street name, again, it starts blanking out letters and offering places whose relevance would be laughable if it weren't so annoying.

Uconnect at 13.15.433 [unless it was just reflashed on recent dealer visit] but behavior unchanged, and pretty much worse than a $0.25 GPS toy.

lstowell 06-27-2013 05:35 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Oh, and if you go to https://rsur.extra.chrysler.com/rsur/Uconnect.do and enter your VIN [copied and pasted right off Jeep Owners site], it tells you that your VIN is invalid... where the response from "Contact Us" is "thank you for bringing this to our attention"

Willx 06-27-2013 05:35 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Your default location is in the wrong area... I am going to jump in one here shortly but someone else will likely know how to easily change that.

Other way is in the NAV app press the UConnect Voice button and say "Enter Destination" Then when prompted say the single digit address numbers ( 3 - 6 - 7 ) then street, city and state. It will likely ask you to repeat the Number street and state for verification but it works very well.

This method is much faster and usually easier. Try it out while waiting to hear back on the default location (unless of course they loaded the Aussie Maps lol).

Willx 06-27-2013 06:03 PM

Just checked,

When you are first pressing "address" hot the third button and make sure your country/state are set. When you click city at this point it seems to select cities properly for me (even really small towns). The again I have never used this feature as I always just voice command it.

2012 Summit 06-27-2013 06:51 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 849317)
2014 Overland, 8.4 AN.

How on earth has anyone been able to enter a simple street address or city for destination?

If I start to enter a city, it starts blanking out letters on the virtual keyboard and offering me cities I would need a cruise ship to reach.

It can't even manage to locate major cities like Las Vegas, Los Angeles.

And if you try to enter a street name, again, it starts blanking out letters and offering places whose relevance would be laughable if it weren't so annoying.

Uconnect at 13.15.433 [unless it was just reflashed on recent dealer visit] but behavior unchanged, and pretty much worse than a $0.25 GPS toy.

You can download the Uconnect User Manual here:

Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep

bill_de 06-27-2013 07:09 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 849331)
Just checked,

When you are first pressing "address" hot the third button and make sure your country/state are set. When you click city at this point it seems to select cities properly for me (even really small towns). The again I have never used this feature as I always just voice command it.

I agree, it does sound like it was looking for cities in the wrong state.

I have also found the voice system works quite well.


---

lstowell 06-28-2013 10:14 AM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 849363)
You can download the Uconnect User Manual here:

Jeep Owners | Download an Owners Manual 2004 - 2011 | Jeep

Umm, thanks, but I have the hard copy and the soft copy and Page 107 is pretty much the only page that mentions the default country and state setting... that for some reason doesn't seem to stick.

Voice commands tend not to work well if you have a weak voice and/or use natural ventilation.

2012 Summit 06-28-2013 11:56 AM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 849724)
Umm, thanks, but I have the hard copy and the soft copy and Page 107 is pretty much the only page that mentions the default country and state setting... that for some reason doesn't seem to stick.

Voice commands tend not to work well if you have a weak voice and/or use natural ventilation.

Yeah, sounds like you have a problem with your unit.

I furnished the link in case it was user error.

lstowell 06-28-2013 12:43 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2012 Summit (Post 849807)
Yeah, sounds like you have a problem with your unit.

I furnished the link in case it was user error.

Oh great.
Thanks.... guess since the download site still doesn't recognize my VIN I'll have to schedule an appointment to see if the current update helps resolve it.

.... or try the downloads from the helpful person who posted them from Mega.

... then cough up for premium membership as its less than the price of a good Starbucks and lasts much longer.

Willx 06-28-2013 01:14 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 849826)
Oh great.

.... or try the downloads from the helpful person who posted them from Mega.

... then cough up for premium membership as its less than the price of a good Starbucks and lasts much longer.

-The download site just doesn't have the capacity right now so they shut off the 2014 updates

One of my issues with continuing to post openly is that people can swoop in and grab stuff that I put some work into for people who give back a little here in the ways they can. Sometimes that is People like Marlon, because he gives back in a different way. I like to help where I can but I do not always have access or time. Right now I do and I do what I can.

I encourage everyone to look at Premium Membership only because I feel it shows a commitment to it... Even if you are a level one that means you have decided to spend your money to support the group and that shows me you might be around when I have a question, so I will gladly go the distance for you now.

As noted, I may choose to spend some time with polite members who are simply looking for some help, it's just I know a "Premium Member" isn't here just for that one problem they are having, the are here because of the entire package! You will see me change my language a little when I see someone blurt something in a post (especially new ride posts) about problems the buyers are going to have, just becasue they are frustrated. I don't find it acceptable because these are big purchases that make people proud.

Anyway, just my little rant. Not about you but I had seen a couple of posts in New Ride stuff like "wait till your bla bla bla breaks" and that $h!T just makes me :mad:, so I wanted to say my speil on Premium Membership and your comment made me think about it that is all.

bill_de 06-28-2013 01:28 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lstowell (Post 849724)
Umm, thanks, but I have the hard copy and the soft copy and Page 107 is pretty much the only page that mentions the default country and state setting... that for some reason doesn't seem to stick.

Voice commands tend not to work well if you have a weak voice and/or use natural ventilation.

A weak voice is one thing. Natural ventilation is nonsense. It's not like you constantly input addresses. Hint, you press the buttons to close the windows, put in the address and reopen the windows.

You don't need the default state set. You can input the state when you are entering the address. That is around page 202 in the manual.

I had the vin problem a while back. I called the contact number and it was fixed in about 24 hours.


---

bill_de 06-28-2013 01:32 PM

Re: How on earth to do address search on 8.4AN
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willx (Post 849840)
-The download site just doesn't have the capacity right now so they shut off the 2014 updates

One of my issues with continuing to post openly is that people can swoop in and grab stuff that I put some work into for people who give back a little here in the ways they can. Sometimes that is People like Marlon, because he gives back in a different way. I like to help where I can but I do not always have access or time. Right now I do and I do what I can.

I encourage everyone to look at Premium Membership only because I feel it shows a commitment to it... Even if you are a level one that means you have decided to spend your money to support the group and that shows me you might be around when I have a question, so I will gladly go the distance for you now.

As noted, I may choose to spend some time with polite members who are simply looking for some help, it's just I know a "Premium Member" isn't here just for that one problem they are having, the are here because of the entire package! You will see me change my language a little when I see someone blurt something in a post (especially new ride posts) about problems the buyers are going to have, just becasue they are frustrated. I don't find it acceptable because these are big purchases that make people proud.

Anyway, just my little rant. Not about you but I had seen a couple of posts in New Ride stuff like "wait till your bla bla bla breaks" and that $h!T just makes me :mad:, so I wanted to say my speil on Premium Membership and your comment made me think about it that is all.

Some people are entitled. The rest are supposed to spoon feed them once Mama cuts off their pablum. ;)


---


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community