Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   IED or SpareTire TPMS Solution - You be the judge (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/ied-or-sparetire-tpms-solution-you-be-the-judge-6206.html)

555ctsv 02-03-2010 09:33 PM

IED or SpareTire TPMS Solution - You be the judge

Ok so this is untested as i want to give it time to dry, but what do you think? I originally started off with white PVC piping and a couple caps, but the flat topped caps only come up to a 2" diameter and the tpms sensor is about 3" wide. So i went to the next isle at Home Depot and found a junction box. Its about 4"x 4" and seemed just the right size. Im really hoping i can place this in the cabin under the "trunk lid" and it still get picked up by the tps sensor. I had some shower tub liner material left over from a wheel well mod, so i used that to help seal the top of the box (i'll trim it later). I also used a ton of this sealant i also picked up at home depot. Stopped by discount tire and they pulled the sensor out for me for free :) I closed it all up, and used a bicycle pump to put one pump into it, just enough to force the sealant into the areas it needs to go to. Then i placed it in the engine bay so it can dry in a relatively warm environment.

There's not a lot of volume in there, so it shouldnt take much from the bicycle pump to get it to 35 or so psi. I'll try it out tomorrow and let you guys know. Hopefully on a hot summer day i dont end up with plastic shrapnel in the back of my head !

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...i/IMG_0818.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...i/IMG_0819.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...i/IMG_0820.jpg

Scottina06 02-03-2010 09:52 PM

Re: IED or SpareTire TPMS Solution - You be the judge

TPMS pipe bomb. The lexus guys do it...Ill see if I can find the how to for ya

NHWK05 02-03-2010 10:00 PM

Thats a good idea.

I had my spare removed from my wk for over a month and i never had an issue with the light coming on or anything.

5.7Unlimited 02-03-2010 10:09 PM

That's a cool idea, don't worry about it blowing up it would slow-leak if anything

psycojeep 02-03-2010 11:31 PM

I was talking to my brother in law ( who works for les schwab tire) about what to do with the spare tpms a while back when I was planning to do a srt style exhaust and he said that they just tape the sensor into one of the other tires on the car. He said they have done several like this with no problems....

Scottina06 02-03-2010 11:52 PM

I dont have a spare and Ive never even had a warning or anything.....

555ctsv 02-04-2010 09:22 AM

Well it held the air over night. I put 4 pumps into it this morning, i figure it'll be as dry as it's going to get by the time i get home from work.

i just dont understand the inconsistency here! Why does it effect some and not others? I asked the dealer when they updated my pcm and did the mirror tilt, and they said theres nothing they can do. I'd love to think there's just something i could jam in there or bend to make it show above the minimum, but then i'd bet i'd get a warning saying there's too much pressure! Boooo

The idea of placing it into another wheel would be great, but Im not sure if that would work unless you drilled a second hole into one of the wheels. I really dont know how these things work, but i'd think the only place to measure the pressure would be at an escape point, like the valve stem. I would think it needs to compare the interior pressure with the outside pressure, right? Although drilling a second hole might not be that nig of a deal. Is that what they do? Also does where are the sensor pick ups located? I'd hate to drill a hole into a good rim, install the 2nd sensor only to find its too far from the spare reader to pick it up. Im excited about this idea, my little air box might work, but long term im not so sure, plus a square isnt the best shape to hold air pressure in!

**On a side note since you're in this thread Scott, do the replica srt8 wheels still say srt on them? My local 4wheelparts has had a set of 4, chrome 5x127mm 20" wheels that i swear are SRT replicas. They've been there about 2 months just sitting with the discounted wheels. They say they are some type of camaro replica wheel (at 4wheel parts?!) and are not the srt wheel. The thing is i didnt see SRT etched into them and the center cap seems to be slightly convexed to a point. Nothing extreme, maybe .25" projection. I havent seen srt wheels closely enough to notice these details. I think he wants them to sit until they really drop the price and then snatch them! Aww conspiracy theories!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 02-04-2010 09:26 AM

Nice idea mine is not on n I don't have a spare

AcidCold 02-04-2010 10:14 AM

I've had my light on for a year or so, i wish i would do something myself to get rid of that annoying light. my TPMS are in my other tires which i have mounted on the XJ, my limited wheels have no sensors at all.

psycojeep 02-04-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 555ctsv (Post 144819)
Well it held the air over night. I put 4 pumps into it this morning, i figure it'll be as dry as it's going to get by the time i get home from work.

i just dont understand the inconsistency here! Why does it effect some and not others? I asked the dealer when they updated my pcm and did the mirror tilt, and they said theres nothing they can do. I'd love to think there's just something i could jam in there or bend to make it show above the minimum, but then i'd bet i'd get a warning saying there's too much pressure! Boooo

The idea of placing it into another wheel would be great, but Im not sure if that would work unless you drilled a second hole into one of the wheels. I really dont know how these things work, but i'd think the only place to measure the pressure would be at an escape point, like the valve stem. I would think it needs to compare the interior pressure with the outside pressure, right? Although drilling a second hole might not be that nig of a deal. Is that what they do? Also does where are the sensor pick ups located? I'd hate to drill a hole into a good rim, install the 2nd sensor only to find its too far from the spare reader to pick it up. Im excited about this idea, my little air box might work, but long term im not so sure, plus a square isnt the best shape to hold air pressure in!

**On a side note since you're in this thread Scott, do the replica srt8 wheels still say srt on them? My local 4wheelparts has had a set of 4, chrome 5x127mm 20" wheels that i swear are SRT replicas. They've been there about 2 months just sitting with the discounted wheels. They say they are some type of camaro replica wheel (at 4wheel parts?!) and are not the srt wheel. The thing is i didnt see SRT etched into them and the center cap seems to be slightly convexed to a point. Nothing extreme, maybe .25" projection. I havent seen srt wheels closely enough to notice these details. I think he wants them to sit until they really drop the price and then snatch them! Aww conspiracy theories!

They do not drill any holes in the rim the way he explains it is that it uses a pressure differential in the unit its self not between valve stem and the unit. He also says that there are no spacific pickups you just train the system to the sensor so it would work just fine in any wheel. As far as mounting they use some type of tape to atach it to the rim and call it good. As I said they have had zero problems doing this on a wide aray of vehichles. On a side note I wonder if you could when programming the sensors just not program the spare. I will have to ask

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-04-2010 11:26 AM

doesnt the wheel need to be moving to give off a signal? so the spare wouldnt give off a signal until it was placed on the jeep. i thought i read that on wkjeeps once.

Relwarc 02-04-2010 11:44 AM

maybe the spare TPM goes off when the pressure is LOW... if the TPM isnt there AT ALL... maybe it says "ok well its not low, its just not present"

maybe?