Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   2014 JGC Brake Controller DIY (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/2014-jgc-brake-controller-diy-62139.html)

Willx 06-29-2013 03:09 PM

2014 JGC Brake Controller DIY

7 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I figured I would share my experiences with putting a Brake Controller on a 2014 JGC Summit. I have inscluded some pictures for ease of reference. I am doing a little towing trial on a Demonstrator vehicle so I have not perminantly attached the controlled but I note how.

First off, this was super easy. In comparison to the 2011 Durango the Plug in adapter is way easier to access in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Durango the Connector is above the programming port on a hard angle). I have also included The Hitch Cover removal (Thanks to Silvermax04 for the assistance on that)

Pic #1 I highlighted the Controller Plug in with a red circle (behind the brake pedal cliped to a wiring harness facing down). I dropped the hard fabric cover for the shot but it is so easily accessible you could do it without. You may want to anyway for cable routing.

Pic #2 / #3 The Mopar Jeep/Durango plug in adapter from Chrysler Parts for my Tekonsha P3. I show it plugged in with the shoft cover in place for reference.

Pic #4 Towards the console side there is a screw holding the dash. As I prefer not to drill holes into my new JGC when I get it I will get a slightly longer screw and some washers to extend this as one side of the Mount for the Controller. I will use a slightly oversided screw to hold the other side into where I will remove the Plastic push clip (spacing is good). The way I only need to make one small hole in the soft fabric and no holes in the dash :) .

Pic #5 If you have a summit this cover is not easy to get off the first time. Undo the thumb screws on the bottom, once both are loose you can pull down on them a little to feel where the cover ends. If not you will be pulling on the bumper instead and won't go far. I found that once you got your hand in their you could squeeze up like the picture I have here on both side evenly and you pulld down and slightly towards yourself. If you have it pulled a little towards you which you can see the way I have it tilted, it comes off OK. but not easy.

Pic #6 You can see this is the exact angle it was easiet to pull down. It is not straigt down, but kind of towards you.

Pic #7 Picture of the clips holding the bumper in place. There are 4 and they are only along the top. They are made of plastic which is why I likely wouldn't be taking this on and off per season. You can see how long they are so don't try and band the cover up while pulling off or they will break.

Hopefully this helps.

2014BilletGC 06-29-2013 06:38 PM

Re: 2014 JGC Brake Controller DIY

I was just looking at mine last night to see what needs to be done.

Can you post a picture of the mounted controller when done? I like that location better than where I was thinking.

Did you unclip the Jeep brake control harness connector from where it was clipped or leave it clipped. I looked quickly and did not have time to play with a screwdriver and try to unclip it.

++ on the P3.

Willx 06-30-2013 09:49 AM

This is a Dealer owned demonstrator vehicle so I cannot perminantly mount anything at the moment. It is always my preference to have the P3 (best controller out there for fluid feel!) to my lower right. Less damage to my shins and my eyes tend to see it more passively there than on the left so I can see if there is an issue (I am also right handed so easier to adjust if needed).

I want to try not to drill any plastic when I do install it (I am hoping to get a Diesel) so that is why I looked at that location. in theory it looks like it would work, I may need to play with screw sizes a little to fit the push plug hole but I think it will work. I will also need to check angle etc, because I want it as snug to the dash as possible.

You do not need to remove the clip on the harness plug, there is enough play there to get the plug in and then route it upwards up out of the way of the pedals and over to the right.

I am going to post a full comparison of the RAM tow vs the JGC this coming week sometime. I have been promissing a full review for a while but it took me a while to find a JGC that the dealer was willing to allow a tow test. Everything is always up front with dealers I work with btw... this one used my trailer sometimes in trade to prove problems on vehicles (Every trailer place tells the customer it is a problem with the vehicle or wiring on the vehicle not the trailer lol)

Mcdenny 07-01-2013 11:16 AM

I read lots of good info about the P3 but also about the DirectLink brake controller that plugs into the OBD 2 port so it can use info like vehicle brake line pressure, vehicle accelerometers, etc, in its trailer brake application strategy.

Any opinions about this? It's like triple the price of the P3 but a trivial cost for one bacon save!

Willx 07-01-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcdenny (Post 851224)
I read lots of good info about the P3 but also about the DirectLink brake controller that plugs into the OBD 2 port so it can use info like vehicle brake line pressure, vehicle accelerometers, etc, in its trailer brake application strategy.

Any opinions about this? It's like triple the price of the P3 but a trivial cost for one bacon save!

The P3 uses inertia to calculate brake pressure and has a boost setting. It is a very natural feel with all trailers and I have had to emergency brake and maneuver with a 14,000lb 5th wheel on the interstate. P3 saved my butt.

denis4x4 07-01-2013 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcdenny (Post 851224)

I've used the P-2 and P-3 and they're OK. However, the Directlink is far superior.

Willx 07-01-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denis4x4 (Post 851287)

I've used the P-2 and P-3 and they're OK. However, the Directlink is far superior.

I would like to know more... got a link on this product?

Mcdenny 07-01-2013 10:35 PM

DirecLink

Unfortunately the website is long on fluff, short on details.

Reading reviews, a lot of people like them.

Willx 07-02-2013 03:48 AM

I like the concept for sure... You need to play with a Prodigy a little to get it right but once it is set it reacts very nicely to the varied conditions. I am sure a direct connection takes the guessing out, it is getting direct feedback not just momentum and inertia on stopping.

Mcdenny 07-02-2013 07:54 AM

Good review of Direclink on the Airstream forum. Wordy (what isn't over there?) but a lot more info than direclink's own website.

DirecLink Brake controller... - Airstream Forums

Willx 07-02-2013 08:02 AM

Hey I am wordy, right up my alley!

Willx 07-03-2013 03:52 PM

Trailering Review

I posted here: http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/2014-...tml#post852454

Feel free to ask questions in that thread, I didn't want to include any more detail... it is wordy enough!!