Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Temp Gauge Rising (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/temp-gauge-rising-62160.html)

cmefly 06-30-2013 07:55 AM

Temp Gauge Rising

Purchased my Jeep 3 weeks ago and it has 94,500 miles on it. Since purchasing I hear water swirling around on occasion coming from the engine compartment when I step on the gas. Comes from passenger side. Today I drove about 5 miles and when I idled the temp gauge rose almost too the top (H). I heard the fans kick on so I took off back to my destination and temp gauge needle dropped below 12 o'clock and stayed there while doing expressway driving for 5 miles. Then I parked it. No hestitation when stepping on the gas, no smells, no smoke, etc. Any ideas?

hummer recovery team 06-30-2013 08:50 AM

Heater core leak? Or air in system, water pump?

cmefly 06-30-2013 09:54 AM

Re: Temp Gauge Rising

Thanks for the advice. Reservoir tank was empty when I got home but radiator was full. Oil and Transmission Fluid were fine and all the right colors. I just put some HOAT midway between the cold and hot mark in the reservoir tank. Will be driving it today, so what should I look out for? Will take it up to the dealer tomorrow. Thanks again!

dmsfun 06-30-2013 10:02 AM

You have a leak in the cooling system somewhere if your reservoir is empty. IF oil looks good, head gasket is not leaking and If you do not smell coolant in the cabin, the heater core is fine so look for bad/leaking hose. Once air gets into the system, it does not hold pressure and then causes the coolant temp to rise.

cmefly 06-30-2013 12:57 PM

I just drove about 40 miles and stopped and checked it. Reservoir tank was exacty where it was when I filled it before I left. Temp guage was consistantly just below 12 o'clock and at idle right at 12 o'clock. When I did buy the Jeep I noticed the the reservoir tank was only about a quater full. I had put about 2,200 miles on it and I have owned it for 29 days. Could be a leaky hose but haven't seen any water on the ground. I will take it in anyways and have it looked at. Thanks for all the great info.

On a side note, I'm thinking of adding a Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back and a K&N FIPK. Should I go with both or one? Would a drop in K&N be better? Live in Northeast.

anyoldiron 06-30-2013 01:52 PM

You could/should be good to go on the coolant deal

lf i where you i would a new thread with your other questions as you will get more attention for the subject

wiseowl73 08-12-2013 03:52 AM

thermostat maybe? I had the same problem come up and I swapped out the thermostat. No problems since.