Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Wheels: 20' vs 18" (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/wheels-20-vs-18-a-62194.html)

SNUKE 06-30-2013 10:28 PM

Wheels: 20' vs 18"

We are going to order a MY14 Limited.
In Aus it comes standard with the 20” Polished Aluminum with Mineral Grey Pockets, however both much prefer the look of the 18” rims.
A dealer we may purchase is from is of course happy to swap them over, but at no charge, rather than at a discount.
I see the 20s are a USD $1,095 upgrade over the 18s.

That aside, are there any benefits to the 20s that I am not aware of?
All I know is that they don’t look as good to us and that replacement tyres will cost a lot more and have less options available.
Are there possible fuel benefits, issues with the tyre pressure monitoring system?

We will not be going off road, just towing horses, so at worse muddy fields.

JeepGCOverland 06-30-2013 10:48 PM

Re: Wheels: 20' vs 18"

Better handling and slightly more road feel with the 20" wheels vs the 18" wheels, but 18" wheels have a softer ride. The 18" wheels are better offroad, but that isn't relevant to you.

Jim_in_PA 07-01-2013 08:18 AM

Your biggest benefit with the 18" wheels is going to be the tire choice, including more options for tires that are better suited to your towing environment...I do understand the muddy field thing with horse show parking as that's a minor use for my own JGC. I have the 20" wheels and the OEM rubber isn't the best for that. Since most of my driving is highway distances, I'm not going to change wheel size, but I do think you are on the right track considering this given your own driving situation.

studio1930 07-01-2013 09:09 AM

Ordered our 2014 GC Overland with the off road package to get the skid plates and swap to the 18" rims. The 18s give a softer ride, handle better off road and the rubber is cheaper to replace. The 20s will steer in the corners better (less lean), won't handle as well off road and have more expensive rubber with less choices.

SNUKE 07-03-2013 11:55 AM

Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Is there any effect on the tyre pressure monitoring system as this will be a dealer change instead of a factory build?

AZhiCntry 07-03-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNUKE (Post 852341)
Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Is there any effect on the tyre pressure monitoring system as this will be a dealer change instead of a factory build?

If the dealer is swapping wheels and tires from another GC the TPMS will work just fine.
If you like the 18" wheels that's what you should get!:thumbsup:

JeepLee2011 07-03-2013 01:20 PM

I went from 18" wheels in my 2011 WK2 to the 20" in my 2014. To my surprise, the 20" w/ the 50 series tires rides better the the 18" w/ 60 series tires. Maybe the 18" tires were worn (23000 miles) to a point that they lost some ride quality vs. the new 20" tires...?

Buster01 08-16-2013 04:47 AM

Hi guys

I am hoping you can help me out with information. We have a 2014 Overland and are looking to buy 18" rims for off road travelling. We will swap back to the 20" when we are not travelling.
Will swapping over each time cause problems with the tyre pressure monitors?
When you swap rims do you swap monitors too?
Are the Michelin tyres supplied with the Laredo suitable for off road use?

I think that's all. Is there anything else I need to know before I commit to a set of Laredo rims with michelin tyres and PM?

Thanks in anticipation

jacko15 08-16-2013 06:57 AM

The Michelin tires that come on the 18" rims are not really suitable for any serious off-road use. Lots of discussion about this elsewhere on the forum. I would definitely get a second set of monitors for the second set of rims. It would be problematic to change them out every time you swap wheel sets.

mfa81 08-16-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster01 (Post 877070)
Hi guys

I am hoping you can help me out with information. We have a 2014 Overland and are looking to buy 18" rims for off road travelling. We will swap back to the 20" when we are not travelling.

I think that's all. Is there anything else I need to know before I commit to a set of Laredo rims with michelin tyres and PM?

Thanks in anticipation

I think it would be best to buy extra sensors and have them on each set of wheels

AZhiCntry 08-16-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster01 (Post 877070)
Hi guys

Thanks in anticipation

When I put on a new set of wheels and tires the TPMS picked up the new sensors and displayed the correct PSI automatically within a few minutes of driving.. I found TPMS sensors on line for $20 each. Same part # as stock Jeep. Just buy some rims and get some real AT tires for off-road. You definitely don't want Michelin Latitude tires for off-road use! www.tiresensorwarehouse.com part#56029398AB

Buster01 08-19-2013 04:24 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. We have found 18"Laredo rims with michelin tyres. We'll get them shipped down and then maybe try to sell off the michelins. I spoke to tyrepower but they dont trade in...