Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Members Rides-Showoff (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/)
-   -   Plasti Dip black out! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/plasti-dip-black-out-62222.html)

adthebadstud 07-01-2013 12:32 PM

Plasti Dip black out!

1 Attachment(s)
So I've had my overland for a few months now and have been slowly but surely playing with plasti dip for fun. Dome parts peel up so I have to redo them but overall it's pretty neat stuff. Here's some pics of my jeep. I plan to leave the tow hooks, lug nuts/center cap, and roof rack as the only things chrome. I think the only thing left to do is the front lower valance.

adthebadstud 07-01-2013 12:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Few more (having trouble uploading from the app)

adthebadstud 07-01-2013 12:36 PM

The red calipers are also plasti dipped and are holding up nicely. Just fyi.

Porknbeans 07-01-2013 12:36 PM

Re: Plasti Dip black out!

Looks good! When you did your rims, did you take them off or keep them on?

adthebadstud 07-01-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porknbeans (Post 851255)
Looks good! When you did your rims, did you take them off or keep them on?

The first time I left them on, and it was just a hassle getting all the coats on. I had a buddy help (he mostly did it) the second time and took the wheels off so I could keep the cap and lug nuts chrome. And so we could do the calipers.

JRekasie 07-01-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adthebadstud (Post 851256)
The first time I left them on, and it was just a hassle getting all the coats on. I had a buddy help (he mostly did it) the second time and took the wheels off so I could keep the cap and lug nuts chrome. And so we could do the calipers.

Did you use the plastidip glossifier on the wheels? I did my Jeep last week and think it looks great, though would like a little more shine on the wheels. A friend of mine mentioned that you can just use regular clear coat as you are just applying it to the rubber sprayed on anyways.

Ram4whldr 07-01-2013 10:14 PM

I'm assuming when everyone is talking about plastidipping parts they are using the aerosol plastidip product?

twobars 07-01-2013 11:07 PM

how many coats did you use? how are the door handles holding up?

adthebadstud 07-02-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRekasie (Post 851494)

Did you use the plastidip glossifier on the wheels? I did my Jeep last week and think it looks great, though would like a little more shine on the wheels. A friend of mine mentioned that you can just use regular clear coat as you are just applying it to the rubber sprayed on anyways.

Yeah, the glossifier was used on the rims and the Window trim. The rest was just matte black.

I'm not sure about the regular clear coat you are talking about.

adthebadstud 07-02-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twobars (Post 851517)
how many coats did you use? how are the door handles holding up?

About 4-5 coats on everything... The door handles in the back are great. The front need to be redone because I was worried about the sensor on the inside of the handle so we taped it. Then when pulling off the tape we messed up the edge a bit.

Porknbeans 07-02-2013 07:44 AM

When you tape off an edge, do you have to use an Exacto type blade to trim the tape away from the plasti-dipped parts or can you just pull the tape off without taking the rest of the sprayed area with it? I have the 18" rims and there is a detail in them that I want to leave exposed metal. I'm planning to mask them off when I plasti-dip the rest of the rims or I'll have to go back and cut them out if I don't mask them off. Hope that makes sense.

Ram4whldr, yes we are talking about the aerosol product. "Rubber" in a spray can. :)

Matty470 07-08-2013 03:41 AM

Can you tell me how you did the window trims.
I tried it once and it came out looking crap, and peeled off unevenly when I tried to break it along the trim lines.

Cheers,
Matty.