Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   2006 Grand Cherokee Overland won't start ! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/2006-grand-cherokee-overland-wont-start-6224.html)

MrPostmanSAV 02-04-2010 02:14 PM

2006 Grand Cherokee Overland won't start !

Help folks!
I have a 2006 GC Overland, 5.7 hemi 2WD -
I'm having issues getting it to start - the problem is completely random.
REMOTE KEYFOB opens/unlocks doors - NO ISSUES THERE
PUT IN KEY - TURN KEY - ** SOMETIMES ** NOTHING HAPPENS -
after the key rotates past the ACC area, and all the way to the right to begin the START procedure - NOTHING -
the lights in the doors/buttons/ radio go dead, and I hear a single " click "-
I can repeat this procedure intermittently and eventually it will START.
This has happened about 10 times in the last month. it's been on cold days/warm days, after sitting for 8-10 hours, or sitting for 10 minutes, there is just no pattern, except that its becoming MORE FREQUENT. It has been tested at the local dealership and they told me, after 2 hours and $75 fee, that THEY CANNOT FIND ANYTHING WRONG WITH IT -
I'm told it started fine for them each time they attempted. Well it does the same for me, just not every time I need it too! It has left me stranded for up to 30 minutes before randomly turning the key before it will start. The BATTERY is only 1 year old, and tested perfect at the dealer. LOCAL DEALER says they won't be able to determine the problem unless it isn't starting while they have it hooked to the computer. They say they are unfamiliar with this problem, however, researching the internet I see there are a few people having similiar issue.

Any suggestions? LOCAL DEALER tells me only option is to start randomly replacing parts involved with ignition/starter....

PLEASE ! haha thanks!

Scottina06 02-04-2010 04:02 PM

Re: 2006 Grand Cherokee Overland won't start !

sounds to me like a short in the key switch

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-04-2010 05:29 PM

^x2

MrPostmanSAV 02-05-2010 10:33 AM

if it is this " key switch " is that an easy, inexpensive repair ?
thanks!

jeepgcoman 02-05-2010 11:09 AM

Could also be the neutral safety switch. Try jiggling the shifter a little when it isn't working. Hold it in the start position while doing this.

Could also be the starter going out. This is a common problem, usually between 50-70000 miles. Or, possibly the starter relay is going bad.

I would be surprised if it were the ignition switch though.

Keep us posted.

jcostri09 02-05-2010 11:09 AM

I had a similar problem with my last car. Turned out to be the ignition. Car would shut off randomly, sometimes while driving.... Hope it isn't that for you. Mine was expensive to fix...

MrPostmanSAV 02-05-2010 11:25 AM

So far, the car has not shut off while driving -
only problem is getting it started, which happened again TWICE yesterday morning between work and one stop at the store before home. It's really getting annoying cause now it's like I have to wonder if it will start before i even put the key in!
Car just rolled over 59,000 miles - dealer wants to start randomly replacing parts MENTIONED by jeepgcoman - which I am beginning to get annoyed with because I feel like they are waiting on ME to tell THEM what's wrong with it !
If i let them begin replacing parts - WHAT would you guys recommend the FIRST one be? I'm not made of $$$$ either lol
thnks!

Scottina06 02-05-2010 12:57 PM

do what cogman said and start with the cheapest part first...LOL

MrPostmanSAV 02-08-2010 02:49 PM

UPDATE : the issue progressed to nearly EVERY SINGLE TIME that I tried to start the car - BACK TO DEALER : this time their computer scan logs an issue with the " FRONT MODULE " or whatever the hell that is, so I was told by the service rep...
tech " FLASHES THE SOFTWARE FOR THE FRONT MODULE " -
I am told this should correct the problem... that was earlier this morning and I haven't had the issue occur again YET today <fingers crossed> ... will keep posted.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 02-08-2010 02:54 PM

good luck bro ... keep us posted

Scottina06 02-08-2010 03:12 PM

yeah...with the wk/wh it could be anything on the elcetrical side...lol

Walt 02-22-2010 07:34 PM

At last! We actually have someone whose electronic ghost was fixed by the dealer the first time! :thumbsup:

I need to get in line for this.........:D

Glad it was so easy to resolve. These WK's are great vehicles, but the electronic design is an abortion. Don't think they will be around in 20 yrs. like the restored 60's / 70's muscle cars.